Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Irishman fighting for his life

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

at least they've got the little ****

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

FFS, thats 3 in 30 months or so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Mellor wrote: »
    FFS, thats 3 in 30 months or so
    The second was not entirely innocent. We don't know the circumstances of this incident yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

ballooba wrote: »
    The second was not entirely innocent. We don't know the circumstances of this incident yet.

I know you don't mean offence but I don't like this sentence. From what I've heard, I'd prefer to say that the outcome was accidental. The provocation was not in the same ball park as the outcome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

what is it with Aussies and the way they beat up foreign nationals, the Indians in Melbourne get targeted all the time and it seems the Irish in Sydney. Where im living there has been a number of quiet vicious attacks on Asian students in the last few months, its racism pure and simple. And people say other countries are the same with racism, no they are not, here in Ireland you very rarely hear of attacks on foreign nationals to the same degree as Aus.
    The amount of times im heard racist ranting from Aussies is too many to mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

While id agree many Aussies do seem to have a racist streek. I dont think the Irish are being singled out and attacked.

How many Irish people are here? and how many are being assulted? its a numbers game, while yes these attacks are tragic, I dont think people are being attacked / mugged / robbed because they are Irish, probably more a case of worng time, wrong place, still sickning tho.

what is it with Aussies and the way they beat up foreign nationals, the Indians in Melbourne get targeted all the time and it seems the Irish in Sydney. Where im living there has been a number of quiet vicious attacks on Asian students in the last few months, its racism pure and simple. And people say other countries are the same with racism, no they are not, here in Ireland you very rarely hear of attacks on foreign nationals to the same degree as Aus.
    The amount of times im heard racist ranting from Aussies is too many to mention.

I'll give you the Indian ones, that's out of order and Australians country-wide are appalled by it. But there's no evidence (that I can see) that these other incident were specifically because the victims were Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Have you been to ireland? :rolleyes: - I agree Australia is one of the most racist places I've ever been but Ireland ain't no walk in the park either - in fact it is the only place that comes close to Australia on the racism front

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jack in the box

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    Have you been to ireland? :rolleyes: - I agree Australia is one of the most racist places I've ever been but Ireland ain't no walk in the park either - in fact it is the only place that comes close to Australia on the racism front

Obviously australia and ireland are the only countries you have been too then.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Doop wrote: »
    While id agree many Aussies do seem to have a racist streek. I dont think the Irish are being singled out and attacked.

How many Irish people are here? and how many are being assulted? its a numbers game, while yes these attacks are tragic, I dont think people are being attacked / mugged / robbed because they are Irish, probably more a case of worng time, wrong place, still sickning tho.

Not to mention the attacks on australians themselves. 3 attacks on Irish in 30 months isnt that bad really. Considering all the violence thats out there and the amount of irish that are here. If the irish were singled out for attacks there would be much much more of this going on.

**** happens, its terrible, but it happens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Obviously australia and ireland are the only countries you have been too then.:pac:

never been too either of them - i'm basing all my information on boards.ie ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

m@cc@ wrote: »
    I know you don't mean offence but I don't like this sentence. From what I've heard, I'd prefer to say that the outcome was accidental. The provocation was not in the same ball park as the outcome.
    How about the provocation and the subsequent reaction? The outcome could not have been foreseen by either party, if it had then it would have been avoided.

ballooba wrote: »
    How about the provocation and the subsequent reaction? The outcome could not have been foreseen by either party, if it had then it would have been avoided.

I'm agreeing with you. Two lives ruined. A tragic occurence.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭An Capall Dubh

What a load of boll*cks.... I've lived in Australia and Ireland. There's no doubt in my mind from my experiences in Oz that that they are the most racist nation on earth. What they did and still do to the aborigines makes Irelands last 900 years of history look like a nature walk.....

What a load of boll*cks.... I've lived in Australia and Ireland. There's no doubt in my mind from my experiences in Oz that that they are the most racist nation on earth. What they did and still do to the aborigines makes Irelands last 900 years of history look like a nature walk.....

What do they still do to Aboriginies?

What do they still do to Aboriginies?

You obviously live on Oz, do you not think that aborigines are constantly abused and looked down upon by society in Oz??

Anyway, it's a bit off topic, lets just hope the latest Irishman pulls through and makes a full recovery.

You obviously live on Oz, do you not think that aborigines are constantly abused and looked down upon by society in Oz??

Not to half the extent that is made out. A lot of concessions and grants have been made to integrate Aboriginals into Australian society. The problem is that it's like training a dog to behave like a cat. Two totally different people with different values and beliefs. A huge challenge.

From what I've seen, they're treated like dogs full stop, it's not a matter of trying to teach them to act like cats or not. I've been called an Irish b*stard plenty's a time by ozzie's who are probably straight descendants from Irish emigrants. Just sums up they're ignorance really (not all of them obviously).

From what I've seen, they're treated like dogs full stop, it's not a matter of trying to teach them to act like cats or not. I've been called an Irish b*stard plenty's a time by ozzie's who are probably straight descendants from Irish emigrants. Just sums up they're ignorance really (not all of them obviously).

Just to clarify, I wasn't using the term 'dogs' in a derogatory sense. Just showing the challenge of the whites and Aboriginals integrating. There are still vast areas of Australia that belong to the Aboriginals and you have to gain permission from the Aboriginal council to enter these areas.

I don't know the circumstances of your encounters but the term 'bastard' is far more prevalent in everyday use by the Aussies than we would use it. They're also far less PC. I have only ever been pointed out as Irish in a positive sense, to my face anyway.

fair enough m@cc@, it's getting late here so oiche mhaith agus Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

fair enough m@cc@, it's getting late here so oiche mhaith agus Happy St. Patrick's Day!! Lá Fhéile Pádraig shona duit!!

Lazy bastard! :D:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Was Just reading there about the latest attack on a Irish person, unbelievable. Aussies are so ignorant and racist against Asians yet the vast majority dont realise that the chinese and there demand for natural resorces are the only thing that is keeping Aus out of the worldwide depression, the sooner the Aussies learn a lesson the better, because at this stage there away worse than the Americans with there ignorant attuide, they need to be brought down a peg or two and hopefully china will give that lesson in the not too distant future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

Mackman wrote: »
    3 attacks on Irish in 30 months isnt that bad really

Actually its 3 serious attacks in 30 months, i bet there is more less serious incidents that go on. I've never been to Oz so cant speak from experience, but friends of mine have done the year travelling thing in Oz and some of the stories they told me of their experiences were shocking.

Was Just reading there about the latest attack on a Irish person, unbelievable. Aussies are so ignorant and racist against Asians yet the vast majority dont realise that the chinese and there demand for natural resorces are the only thing that is keeping Aus out of the worldwide depression, the sooner the Aussies learn a lesson the better, because at this stage there away worse than the Americans with there ignorant attuide, they need to be brought down a peg or two and hopefully china will give that lesson in the not too distant future.

More anti-Australian rubbish. You've become nothing more than a troll at this stage.

Australia has a much more multi-cultural society than Ireland so there is bound to be more friction than you'd find at home. When I first arrived here, I thought Australia was incredibly racist. But when you actually spend time talking to the average Australian, they're really not as different from us as you'd like to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

More anti-Australian rubbish. You've become nothing more than a troll at this stage.

Australia has a much more multi-cultural society than Ireland so there is bound to be more friction than you'd find at home. When I first arrived here, I thought Australia was incredibly racist. But when you actually spend time talking to the average Australian, they're really not as different from us as you'd like to think.

M@CC@ you are so right, I cant understand how anyone can come from Ireland and pretend that they are from a lily white society. Australians aren't really that racist but it is true they have a pretty dubious past from the way they treated their indigenous people... but lets be honest its a throw back trend since the settlement of the colony by the British and Irish settlers.

As for JONJO remarks about the recent attacks on Indians by Australians that is bullsh!t... It is now reported that those Indian Students were attacked by other minority races and that the other recent attacks on Indians were committed by other Indians.

There is even one case where an Indian gentleman reported that he was set on fire by Australian thugs... it later turns out he set fire to himself while trying to burn out his own car in an Insurance fraud.

M@CC@ is correct Australians are probably just sick of migrants coming to Australia and trying to shove other culture down their throats, no different from Irish people in the west of Ireland complaining about Africans selling Big Issue to tourists outside whitewashed cottages in some of the idyllic country areas, is that not the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

There is zero evidence or even suggestions that any of these attacks are racially motivated, so why is even a topic in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

hussey wrote: »
    There is zero evidence or even suggestions that any of these attacks are racially motivated, so why is even a topic in this thread?

Exactly!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I agree that there is alot of hype about Australians and racism. But that is what most of this is. Hype. Sure they do have a problem especially regarding those incidents in Melbourne and of course the age old problem what to do with the Aborigines. Alot of their history is shameful. Some Australians are a bit pig headed and ignorant but I suppose they can be classified as Bogans or whatever. I suppose thinking about it they have on average more than most other countries, but I wouldnt call them inherintly racist.

However right now people like Jono are going to the extreme with their comments. These attacks were not racially motivated so why bring it up?
    mandrake04 wrote: »
    M@CC@ is correct Australians are probably just sick of migrants coming to Australia and trying to shove other culture down their throats, no different from Irish people in the west of Ireland complaining about Africans selling Big Issue to tourists outside whitewashed cottages in some of the idyllic country areas, is that not the same?

Sorry but I have to take issue with this. One is the scenario you described in the west of ireland is more than likely made up so why use it as an example?

Two, who is forcing culture on someone else. It's all I ever hear about this issue. Forcing something on someone else. Blah blah blah. Poor me, damm those Asians..

Nobody is forcing you to learn another language or dress a certain way or anything else for that matter. If they did I would be the first to say it.

I would love to hear of just ONE example where someone was forced into doing something from another culture in Australia. People have free will but would rather complain than do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You've been banging this drum so long and so loud that I actually did a double-take when I saw the date and time of your post. I was sure someone had resurrected an old thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What do you hope China will do?

I only ask because from your post I get the impression you wish some harm to Australia, I am hoping you will tell me I am mistaken and this is not the case.

Advertisement