Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Irishman fighting for his life

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Zambia232 wrote: »
    What do you hope China will do?

I only ask because from your post I get the impression you wish some harm to Australia, I am hoping you will tell me I am mistaken and this is not the case.

China bascially controls the Aus econmy and they can switch off the tap at any time by reducing the amount of exports they buy from Aus. I dont wish no harm to Aus by the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Christ you don't have a clue.

Tell me where in China can they get all the natural resources that Australia has?
    They cannot turn "off" the tap because if they did it would be economical suicide for China. They cannot more so than turn off the tap than change their trillions of dollars in USD cash reserves to gold or euro. Anyway China has other things to worry about. Talk of a property bubble there going to burst soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

m@cc@ wrote: »
    There are still vast areas of Australia that belong to the Aboriginals and you have to gain permission from the Aboriginal council to enter these areas.

I don't know the circumstances of your encounters but the term 'bastard' is far more prevalent in everyday use by the Aussies than we would use it. They're also far less PC. I have only ever been pointed out as Irish in a positive sense, to my face anyway.

Not sure about that argument? I suspect most of the areas you refer to are virtually uninhabitable and therefore useless. But it is not the same, where the area has value, eg, Ayers Rock (Uluru), which along with Syd Op House are probably the two biggest tourist attractions in Australia. Plenty of information and endless campaigning for years by Aboriginals and support groups etc to acknowledge and protect the spritiual integrity and importance of Uluru has achieved little results. Efforts to control the tourists clamouring all over this 'world heritage site' etc etc have been overwhelmed by the local tourist business interests.

Repeated Aus Govs have only paid lip service and only begrudginly introduced minor control measures. If Aboriginal community had any credibility their wishes to ban tourists from the area would be implemented. But like many other examples $$$$ is king. Another sacred Aboriginal place, Fraser Island, also another 'world heritage site' is also today not just another tourist mecca but astonishingly a 4WD fun park!

I was shocked to see it and really ashamed I did. So much for 'tour operators spiritual importance of the area and the hypocritical blah blah blah. If they believed what they said, they would ban all 4WD. Instead, you get a token Aboriginal Playschool on the island.

Whatever about past mistakes, I see/saw little evidence of any credible efforts on behalf of the authorities to appropriately control or indeed manage sensitive aboriginal spiritual areas. Sadly IMO hypocrisy and the love of AUD$$$ is very much dictating actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

China bascially controls the Aus econmy and they can switch off the tap at any time by reducing the amount of exports they buy from Aus. I dont wish no harm to Aus by the way.

Over 60% of Australias sugar cane is sold to China and currently there are discussions to significantly increase sugar cane exports to China. All fine if everythings moves along, but there are surely risks for the sugar cane farmers to become dependent on one market?

There is always the risk of embargos/trade disputes arising from some political who-ha etc which could have sudden and severe repercussions for monoculture QLD farmers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Aside from that has anyone heard anymore on the condition of the chap in question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Aside from that has anyone heard anymore on the condition of the chap in question?

Finally someone actually asks about this guy rather than argue over China economy.

He is friends with a friend of mine, and she said he was in a critical but stable condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

hussey wrote: »
    He is friends with a friend of mine, and she said he was in a critical but stable condition.

Here's hoping he gets better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Finally someone actually asks about this guy rather than argue over China economy.

Good to hear he is doing okay.

Because there is so much of us over here these things do happen regardless of circumstances whether unfortunate or provoked.

I think 3 people in the last while is not too bad considering some of the idiots I see wandering about...but thats for another day!

Considering what happened to the Canadian guy in a wheelchair who got beaten up with bars off his own wheelchair a couple of weeks back out west in Sydney, I think it shows that no matter where you go you will always have this kind of lowlife. Regardless of race, colour or creed bad timing is usually what is behind any of these attacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Can we get back on topic please? This is not a thread on whether Australia is racist or not.

Any more posts on this topic will be deleted and posters infracted/banned.

Thanks,
    watna

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Have his family arrived?
    Any idea what happened?
    Was down in Coogee during the week got talking to a few Limerick lads but they hadnt heard much.
    Hopefully some good news soon

• Advertisement
Advertisement