Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Split my lungs with blood & thunder ...

Options
  • 16-03-2010 7:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

... when you see the white whale

After numerous failed attempts, shite standard of living and excessive drinking my weight has swelled to approx 107KG (Clothed measurement, taken Sunday, got to 110KG at one stage a few months ago) at a very high body fat. I'm not making excuses to myself, its completely my own fault, but I need to do something about this.

I had a work medical recently and the doctor also advised I loose some weight as I was bordering dangerously obese on the BMI @ 5 Ft 11 & 107 KG (I know not to put too much stock in the BMI but i'm not overly muscular).

I've had previous logs and have received great help from people here which I shunned through my own laziness. I've done crash dieting, fad dieting, fad exercising and the "magic pills" approach and i finally realise that a lifestyle change is in order and there's no quick fix.

My goals are -
    (1) Reduce Body fat (Long term)
    (2) Get weight below 100KG (Long Term)
    (3) Get weight below 100KG (Medium Term)
    (4) Make Immediate changes to eating habits (Short Term)
    (5) Begin exercising again (Short Term)

I'm starting this morning a little unprepared but here goes today's eating -
    Breakfast & Snacking over course of day - Biltong (Dried meat, high protein), unsure of exact amount probably about 200 - 250g
    Lunch - Home made chilli mince (Olive oil, Mince, Onion, Peppers, Chilli's and spices)
    Dinner - Steak (will weigh & confirm), Mixed veg

Not the best starts but a start nonetheless, will prepare breakfast and the likes for tomorrow.

Gym access and home equipment isnt an option in this case so I will have to take my exercise through jogging at to start with at least. Will be going for time at first to get back into it then factor in distance in the next few weeks.

The purpose of the log is to make me somewhat accountable if I have to write everything down.

Here goes ... yet again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Yesterdays dinner consisted of a Steak, Onion, Pepper, Cheese (2 Slice) and Chilli Chutney sandwich. Could have done without the bread, thats the end of the last of it in the house though.

Only shop in the town was out of bloody eggs yesterday so -

Breakfast & Snacking over course of day - Biltong, unsure of exact amount probably about 200 - 300g
    Lunch - Home made chilli mince (Olive oil, Mince, Onion, Peppers, Chilli's and spices)
    Dinner - Unsure

Will most likely have a drink or two tonight since the company is doing a patricks day do, ill try stick to a spirit with no mixer if possible though.

Didnt get running yesterday as it was pretty dark when I got home and the house i'm in is out on non-lit roads. Wont happen tonight either because of the work thing.

If I can get the eating somewhat stabilised first ill be happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Take a look at the fitness sticky in the forum for ways to improve your diet or head over to nutrition and diet for moreinfo as well

I haven't been ignoring this log. I've just had a really bad internet connection the last few weeks so couldnt update.

Eating is going well IMO, running hasn't started as of yet.

Weight as of this morning was 102.3KG so making fairly okay progress, seems like a lot more that I should have lost but the first measurement was clothed so that probably accounts for 2.5KG or more of that drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Hey dude,

Ah so you're back again ;) I've seen your logs here before over the past couple of years and one thing that strikes me is that re your diet - you seem to go on a bit of a protein/fat drive as part of revamping your diet. You don't really have to be too drastic - unless you really do enjoy eating hardly any carbs.

Really getting the weight off is simply just about cutting out the junk food and watching your portion sizes. You don't need anything too drastic that you are possibly going to get discouraged with very quickly - just keep it clean and you will be able to watch the pounds fall off. Keep it simple!

Chet Zar wrote: »
    Hey dude,

Ah so you're back again ;) I've seen your logs here before over the past couple of years and one thing that strikes me is that re your diet - you seem to go on a bit of a protein/fat drive as part of revamping your diet. You don't really have to be too drastic - unless you really do enjoy eating hardly any carbs.

Really getting the weight off is simply just about cutting out the junk food and watching your portion sizes. You don't need anything too drastic that you are possibly going to get discouraged with very quickly - just keep it clean and you will be able to watch the pounds fall off. Keep it simple!

Cheers Chet, you're dead right on that point. I tried to tail off the carbs to as little as possible (and in most cases made the mistake of not trying to replace them with decent veggies). Reason behind that is because I'm a demon for the carbs (especially bread), I don't know when to stop once I start eating them :o

However I think I'm after getting the hang of them in moderation now and it seem to be working better for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

c - 13 wrote: »
    Cheers Chet, you're dead right on that point. I tried to tail off the carbs to as little as possible (and in most cases made the mistake of not trying to replace them with decent veggies). Reason behind that is because I'm a demon for the carbs (especially bread), I don't know when to stop once I start eating them :o

However I think I'm after getting the hang of them in moderation now and it seem to be working better for me.

Good stuff, carbs can be enjoyed as long as you're factoring them in to your overall calories each day!

Advertisement