Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax back on goods at the Airport.

Options
  • 16-03-2010 8:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

Heading back to the homeland for a bit in April and I am thinking about buying a DSLR camera. Now I "think" I could claim back the GST of this when I am leaving? Is this correct?

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/travellers___english1.pdf

However if you are working in OZ will that stop you from claiming such taxes back at the airport? Just want to double check this as I may also buy the thing in Hong Kong but an OZ warranty would be much better for me overall.

Some good deals to be had with the strong OZ dollar.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Oooh, I was just thinking the along the same lines. If I buy stuff in Dublin when I'm home (and I intend to buy lots!) can I claim tax back at Dublin airport? I'm an Irish citizen but for taxes and things I'm legally resident in NZ, not Ireland.

My bf is also suggesting that I try and claim tax back for a hard drive I bought here recently as I am flying in less than two weeks. I have a residency permit in my passport though so surely I can't? because I'm legally resident here. So where can I get tax back?!! :)

very interesting though

/strokes chin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well I do know that Kiwi's who buy stuff in OZ can claim their tax back but of course you "may" have to declare it on arrival in New Zealand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

http://www.paxtons.com.au/trs/dutyfree.htm

Apparently there is nothing stopping me from doing this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I bought a mac laptop in Australia in November. When leaving to come home, I produced the laptop and the receipt at the tax back counter at Sydney airport.

They took a swipe of my credit card and the money was transferred over to it in less than a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

There's nothing to stop Aussies doing this as far as I know. As long as the goods are to be exported and not reimported.

• Advertisement
Advertisement