Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When was your first time driving alone?

• 16-03-2010 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

I don't want to get into a legal / illegal debate on people driving on provisional licences or permits, but I'm just curious when did you first go out alone. I have my learner permit 3 months and been driving for two and no way do I feel ready even if I was willing to risk it. How long did it take people here? Did anyone sit and pass their test never having driven anywhere unaccompanied and then find they were suddenly allowed to be on their own but werent used to it? I think that would be nerve wracking in itself!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

Jamie-b wrote: »
    I don't want to get into a legal / illegal debate on people driving on provisional licences or permits, but I'm just curious when did you first go out alone. I have my learner permit 3 months and been driving for two and no way do I feel ready even if I was willing to risk it. How long did it take people here? Did anyone sit and pass their test never having driven anywhere unaccompanied and then find they were suddenly allowed to be on their own but werent used to it? I think that would be nerve wracking in itself!

The closest I've ever gotten to driving on my own is around the compound I live in for about ten seconds. I've been learning to drive since last July and I'm confident that soon enough I would be able to drive on my own but I just wouldn't risk it until I've passed my test because of the insurance thing.

A friend of mine would go out early on a Sunday morning by herself just to get used to driving alone before adding in the traffic factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I've been driving since January.

The first time I've driven alone was last Thursday.
    In city center. During rush hour.
    It was an absolute nightmare!

But I had to get a car I just bought, home and I could find anyone to come along. Though my friend, who's got a full license accompanied me for a bit.
    And so I was in a car I was driving for the first time, in city center driving alone for the first time.
    Once I was out of the city center, everything settled down and it was all good.

Haven't driven alone since cuz don't wanna get into any insurance/gards trouble as I haven't got my full license yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

After I passed my test

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

After I passed my test

Was that straight away or did you need to phase out the accompanying driver gradually? I think it'd be hard even after you pass to go on a motorway or into the city centre for the first time alone

Was that straight away or did you need to phase out the accompanying driver gradually? I think it'd be hard even after you pass to go on a motorway or into the city centre for the first time alone

Straight away Jamie

I passed my test 17 years ago next week. I'm from Glasgow and near me were fast dual carriageways that I was used to driving on during lessons. I passed my test after 17 lessons within 2.5 months of turning 17. I suppose I just took naturally to driving.

Back home there's no mentality to drive unaccompanied as the cops have a zero tolerance approach to it.

I did though, not long after passing my test and thinking I was bullet proof have a lucky escape by spinning in the wet on the motorway. I drove too fast for a bend and end up going backwards in the outside lane :eek: NOT a nice feeling I can assure you. Fortunately it was half 7 on a Saturday morning so the road was dead. It certainly put manners on me and slowed me down.

I've recently qualified as an ADI

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. The motorway is what's bothering me. That and bad traffic but I intend to keep avoiding busy periods until I can drive properly and am very confident. If I sit my test and pass 1st time I can legally drive alone this summer, which will be really handy but so many places I go the weekends (on the bus st the moment:o) will involve the M50 and I don't want to try that 1st time alone even though I will have a full licence (being optimistic here!) On the other hand I don't live in Dublin so dragging my accompanying drivers up to Dublin onto the M50 and home again is a bit of an ordeal so I'll likely only have one or two chances to try it out with help.

Thanks for the reply. The motorway is what's bothering me. That and bad traffic but I intend to keep avoiding busy periods until I can drive properly and am very confident. If I sit my test and pass 1st time I can legally drive alone this summer, which will be really handy but so many places I go the weekends (on the bus st the moment:o) will involve the M50 and I don't want to try that 1st time alone even though I will have a full licence (being optimistic here!) On the other hand I don't live in Dublin so dragging my accompanying drivers up to Dublin onto the M50 and home again is a bit of an ordeal so I'll likely only have one or two chances to try it out with help.

Where are you based?

My advice is after you pass to maybe go on a motorway when it's quiet with another driver with you and build up from there. Your ADI will even bring you out for a couple of motorway lessons if you ask. I remember asking mine about them, he told me I didn't need them.

To be honest, once you are ready to sit your test and you pass it you'll be alot more confident about things then you are currently. Take one step at a time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I think I may have gone out once before I passed my test early on a Sunday morning, I'm not even sure if I did though now or just thought about doing it.

With regards to motorway, straight after passing my test was going home on motorway as was most direct way and got my dad to go back with me just in case I did anything stupid. After that only time I have had parents in car is if I'm giving them a lift. But yeah it is a bit weird going from someone always there to no one at all.

For first time on motorway, maybe try go on a Sunday morning when it is quiet, and just read up again on the rules for them. You'll be grand though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I learned to drive back in the day... so the first time I drove on my own was just after I received my provisional and my dad had given me a 20 min crash course on driving on the open road.

This was common back then in the rural area where I came from.

In hindsight, it was incredibly negligent, but that's the way things were done back then.

You don't also need to drive at 120kmph on the motorway.
    Stay in the left lane and drive at 80-100kmph till you feel comfortable going faster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I've never driven on my own, except for around my house (I have a driveway thingy that goes the whole way around the house) when I was starting out last year, just so I could get used to the car (I found it tough to stop the car from cutting out when I started, but I eventually got the hang of it).

When I mastered the basics on my own around the house, then I took lessons. I have never driven on my own on the road, and I don't plan to until I pass my test (and even then I'd be nervous!).

• As soon as I got my insurance and tax, I started driving by myself.
    Have been doing so ever since. I had to drop my girlfriend home one day. After dropping her off at her place, I had to drive back home by myself. I found it easier, as I didn't have somebody telling me when and where to change gears. I mean, I know when to change gears: it's just that I find it difficult to listen 100% AND drive at the same time. I've driven past the Gaurds on many occasions and they haven't said anything. Although in saying that I have been keeping to urban areas where the speed is low and stop-and-go is a regular occurence. I now have a certain amount of confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

once i'd passed my test! there was some security with having R plates up- while i was delighted with them, other drivers treat them like L plates, if not worse actually, so you are given a wide berth!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

did a few lessons 3 years ago and had driven about twice between then and last week. just got insured on my moms car last week and have been driving on my own already.

i had a motorbike though for half a year so well used to being on the road on my own but its nice being in the car on my own... i can drive just fine, just need a bit of practice and ill be ready for the test in no time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Haven't driven alone in a car yet.
    I'll wait til I get the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭erwinvr101

i first drive alone when i bought my car after having finished 22 lessons from my first driving instructor. but i only drove 2-3 kilometers (from home to bus station and back) so as not to develop bad habits. it's just like going on circles, really. it actually helped me a lot coz my main problem before was car control (especially the clutch when moving off as the engine always cuts out). by the time i got to do a few lessons for my test i only have to adjust a few things (basically some minor bad habits) and i was really comfortable with my car - i passed the test.

^^ i do not encourage driving alone as a learner but it's just that i can't find someone else to drive with me (it's really not that easy to find one who would)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

erwinvr101 wrote: »
    ^^ i do not encourage driving alone as a learner but it's just that i can't find someone else to drive with me (it's really not that easy to find one who would)

I'd be the same. The system is much more suited to someone young living at home with a parent on call easily than an older learner.
    I have had about 20 lessons from an ADI, deliberately avoided having well meaning relatives and friends give me 'tips' and have applied to sit the test asap.

spurious wrote: »
    I'd be the same. The system is much more suited to someone young living at home with a parent on call easily than an older learner.
    I have had about 20 lessons from an ADI, deliberately avoided having well meaning relatives and friends give me 'tips' and have applied to sit the test asap.

I disagree with that. The same system has been in the UK for years and years and works perfectly well regardless of the age of the learner. The rules are there and almost 100% of the public respect and obey by those rules.

Here, although the system and traffic laws having changed over the last few years the mindset of the public hasn't fully changed with it

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭james998964

First started driving on my own at 16.

• Advertisement

I meant if I was still living at home with my parents it would be much easier get out for a bit of a practice every evening. As it is, they have to come to me if accompanying me, meaning the whole operation could take almost two hours for my 40-45 minute practice drive.
    It's why it was on occasion easier for me to pay the ADI for a 'lesson', although they were really just an expensive passenger.

I disagree with that. The same system has been in the UK for years and years and works perfectly well regardless of the age of the learner. The rules are there and almost 100% of the public respect and obey by those rules.

Here, although the system and traffic laws having changed over the last few years the mindset of the public hasn't fully changed with it

believe me, if i had someone with me while driving i'd prefer it. it was nerve wrecking driving alone even if i know that i could do it. plus the public transport service here in ireland is incomparable to UK (i know this is not a good excuse - just saying). it's just that i needed to learn but i don't have that enough money to keep going for lessons

believe me, if i had someone with me while driving i'd prefer it. it was nerve wrecking driving alone even if i know that i could do it. plus the public transport service here in ireland is incomparable to UK (i know this is not a good excuse - just saying). it's just that i needed to learn but i don't have that enough money to keep going for lessons

Depending on where you are public transport can be just as bad in the UK.

Whilst I sympathise with the money end of things for you personally it really is no different for those in the UK having the same predicament. I used the UK as an example as the Irish system is based on it (though the test here misses out parts that the UK has).

It boils down to attitude, complying or not and of course enforcement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Wednesday morning... Spun up to the station for petrol :)

Depending on where you are public transport can be just as bad in the UK.

Whilst I sympathise with the money end of things for you personally it really is no different for those in the UK having the same predicament. I used the UK as an example as the Irish system is based on it (though the test here misses out parts that the UK has).

It boils down to attitude, complying or not and of course enforcement

your right and specially with the bold bit. if the law was enforced to the fullest i don't think people (including me) will risk it

efla wrote: »
    Wednesday morning... Spun up to the station for petrol :)

that's exactly what i did when i first drove my car:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I drove unaccompanied - I had just bought it and it was completely empty. And that station is within sight of my house. On paddys day. In the morning.

efla wrote: »
    I drove unaccompanied - I had just bought it and it was completely empty. And that station is within sight of my house. On paddys day. In the morning.

drove unaccompanied too. i bought my car from a car dealer but they delivered the car to my place with almost empty tank. i think it's just enough to go to the gasoline station

spurious wrote: »
    I meant if I was still living at home with my parents it would be much easier get out for a bit of a practice every evening. As it is, they have to come to me if accompanying me, meaning the whole operation could take almost two hours for my 40-45 minute practice drive.
    It's why it was on occasion easier for me to pay the ADI for a 'lesson', although they were really just an expensive passenger.

I suppose it may be. But for me, all my family members are usually much too busy to come along with me for a spin anytime and so I usually have to end up asking my friends who have a full license to come for a drive... And because most of my friends are young, most of them don't have a full license either.
    Infact its only two of my friends who have a full license and I have to keep asking them to come for a drive and stuff... And so I don't get to drive my car as much as I'ld like to.

Though occasionally I take it for a short spin around my housing estate. I know no gards come into the estate during day time. Just practice stuff like left and right turns, slowing down for ramps, reversing and parking and stuff... I don't wander too far from my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

I bought a little runaround and used to drive around my area solo (first time was after about 5 lessons). It was quiet and I could spend a lot of time getting comfortable and familiar with the clutch/biting point and gears. I did this everyday and noticed my confidence growing bit by bit. I would recommend having someone with you however I didn't really have a choice at the time.
    I think the thought of the Motorway is scarier than the real thing! The only problem I have is my lack of a sense of direction!!! Now that's a nightmare on the motorway! Still I've accidentally visited many lovely towns!:D

greenie wrote: »
    I bought a little runaround and used to drive around my area solo (first time was after about 5 lessons). It was quiet and I could spend a lot of time getting comfortable and familiar with the clutch/biting point and gears. I did this everyday and noticed my confidence growing bit by bit. I would recommend having someone with you however I didn't really have a choice at the time.
    I think the thought of the Motorway is scarier than the real thing! The only problem I have is my lack of a sense of direction!!! Now that's a nightmare on the motorway! Still I've accidentally visited many lovely towns!:D

it's the same with me, how do you improve on that? plus i'm crap at reading maps too that i rely heavily on my navigator (bought it even before i got my own car)

it's the same with me, how do you improve on that? plus i'm crap at reading maps too that i rely heavily on my navigator (bought it even before i got my own car)

Guess you answered the question yourself!
    My sis has absolutely no sense of direction too. She used to get lost pretty much every time she went on a new route (and sometimes even existing routes). Then she got a GPS and she never gets lost now.

Guess you answered the question yourself!
    My sis has absolutely no sense of direction too. She used to get lost pretty much every time she went on a new route (and sometimes even existing routes). Then she got a GPS and she never gets lost now.

it's not really an answer as i know a lot people who manages to find their way without having to rely on these devices and i would want to be the same too. having to resort on this is like using cellphones while driving (well, not as much).

a lot of new roads are being made today specially in dublin that even using a newly updated navigator is confusing. my wife and i went to ikea last week and there is this one road that wasn't in the loaded map on my navigator. it scared me a bit as it was the first time i drove in dublin. good thing my wife's orientation or sense of road direction is good (she's not even driving) and we made it to ikea

a lot of new roads are being made today specially in dublin that even using a newly updated navigator is confusing. my wife and i went to ikea last week and there is this one road that wasn't in the loaded map on my navigator. it scared me a bit as it was the first time i drove in dublin. good thing my wife's orientation or sense of road direction is good (she's not even driving) and we made it to ikea

I say I have a decent sense of direction.
    They way I do it is by figuring out first what direction is north/south and what direction I need to travel towards. Using the sun as reference most times. This is the key to orientate yourself and you will mostly be lost if you can't find your orientation.
    And its also good to have a good look at the map to know which roads you'ld be taking and from where.

Eg. If I wanna get to Bray from the city center, I know I take the N11, which goes straight down from Lesson st. and as long as I'm heading south, I know I'm going in the right direction. And as Bray is on the coast, I'ld wanna stay near the coast and compensating for any change of directions you make. Like if you have turned west towards some point, you need to turn around and go east to get to your destination.

Its also a bit about picturing the area/map in your head and knowing where you currently are in relative to your destination and which direction you've gotta go towards to get there.
    Couple this with a good knowledge of the area got from a being there before or a good study of the map.
    And the ability to remember the route you've taken to get to where you are incase you need to turn back and retrace your route to get back to a way point from where you can calculate a different route.

It sounds complicated. But if you're a bit of an adventurous person who liked wandering off exploring places and playing hide and seek when young, it comes a little naturally!!

And a lot of it comes from traveling around and getting to know the place. Like I've travelled around Dublin enough to find my way around the city without much difficulty. Though I've never been to Belfast and so it'ld take me a bit of exploration of the city before I figure out where everything is and can find my way around the city easier.

• Advertisement

I say I have a decent sense of direction.
    They way I do it is by figuring out first what direction is north/south and what direction I need to travel towards.

that's actually how my wife does it, still it baffles me. and even if i have been to a place, i still have to be there for twice or thrice before i can say that i can go there by myself. that's how bad i am with roads and places :(

I have problems with routes as well. I concentrate so much on slowing down indicating etc that Im halfway around the roundabout before I realsie if my accommanying driver was not there telling me 3rd exit etc I wouldnt know where I was going.
    I think I'll be better though when I am a good driver and don't have to concentrate so much on keep the car going but have time to look at the signs. may treat myself to a sat nav in anticipation of getting a full licence!

I have problems with routes as well. I concentrate so much on slowing down indicating etc that Im halfway around the roundabout before I realsie if my accommanying driver was not there telling me 3rd exit etc I wouldnt know where I was going.
    I think I'll be better though when I am a good driver and don't have to concentrate so much on keep the car going but have time to look at the signs. may treat myself to a sat nav in anticipation of getting a full licence!

That's crucial though. You really have to pay attention to road signs. Other than directional signs, you've got the others too. If you miss them you could end up in bother.

Take your roundabout analogy. You're potentially halfway round that roundabout and then you could start to panic, change lanes quickly, possibly without looking properly and have or cause an accident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 april99

My first time driving on my own was about 4 months or so after I got my car. Was sick of spending €25 on taxi to work on a sunday morning so decided to drive in. Is only about 15 mins away from my place & had gone around the route with my excellent driving instructor. I was so nervous that morning & left a good hour earlier than necessary.
    Then drove straight into a Garda checkpoint-was a bank holiday weekend. Was terrified! However, they just pushed me along after checking tax, insurance etc. However, I then just went with the flow of traffic and ended up miles away from work and seriously late!! Have yet the live it down with work colleagues :rolleyes:

Advertisement