Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boxing hares

Options
  • 16-03-2010 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

When is the best time to see hares "boxing"?

Since watching a re-run of the excellent "Nature of Britain" with Alan Titchmarch, the kids (and I ) have been dying to see such a spectacle for real.

Over the past few weeks we've been taking walks around the local uplands which I know support a good population of hare but had no sightings at all.

Is it too late in the season now? Is morning or evening time better?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Keep trying - I think that the Mad March Hare is a bit late this year because of the cold weather curtailing their activities.
    We see quite a few of them normally on our early morning dog walk, but this year no sign of any breeding behaviour so far. Just single hares hopping around, rather fewer in number than in previous years.
    The other possibility is that we've heard of people netting them for the pot. A sign of the times, perhaps.
    I'll post any sightings of 'boxing' here if we witness it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Oliverdog wrote: »
    The other possibility is that we've heard of people netting them for the pot. A sign of the times, perhaps.

netting them for the pot:confused: you can eat hare?? is it like rabbit??

I've never tasted either, nor ever will, but yes, I'm afraid if you Google it you'll get plenty of recipes. :(

I saw a couple of them chasing each other around the dunes at Dooks this St Patrick's morning, a great sight to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

fryup wrote: »
    netting them for the pot:confused: you can eat hare?? is it like rabbit??
    Fryup, was that you I saw running around the field wearing a chef's hat and waving a cleaver? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I see hares up in the Wicklow Mountains quite regularly, but haven't seen any this year yet. The numbers aren't that high up there, and I don't ever recall seeing more than one at a time, let alone two males engaging in their boxing behaviour. I caught one unawares one day while out hiking on my own mid week up on Mullaghcleevaun. He was less than 10m away upwind of me. I crouched down low to the ground and stayed perfectly still, and he just sat there bolt upright up on his hind legs staring at me for what seemed like ages before he got bored and ran off. A beautiful sight. Normally they run away long before you can get that close, especially if you're in a group and making a bit of noise.

BTW hare is good to eat, quite a rich dark meat, very unlike rabbit. The saddle, i.e. the back, is the best bit IMO followed by the legs. I've never eaten it here, but have had it a few times in Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've seen them at dusk in the parkland at the back of my place. They may also do it in the mornings, but I don't generally get out for a walk then.

As for hare meat - In the olden days it used to be called "venison" as it is apparently quite similar to deer meat.

Alun wrote: »
    BTW hare is good to eat, quite a rich dark meat, very unlike rabbit. The saddle, i.e. the back, is the best bit IMO followed by the legs. I've never eaten it here, but have had it a few times in Germany.

There you go Fryup. Get out your frying pan, and try Alun's recipe.

On second thoughts, catching one might be a problem !

Advertisement