Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bed for 2 Year Old

Options
  • 16-03-2010 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi Everyone, this is my first post in this forum. My daughter will be 3 this summer and I have just put her in a new bed for the first time. The first night was great she slept all night but now won't sleep at all and keeps getting up and coming down stairs or into our room. This starts at about 5 a.m. I'm at the end of my tether here. What can I do to make her stay in bed and just turn over and go back asleep. I'm exhausted! I tried putting her into my bed but she doesn't like that then i tried lying beside her in her new bed but she just won't go back to sleep.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Would you consider putting a stairgate on her bedroom door for a week or so while she gets used to the idea of staying in her room for the night? I'm not a massive fan of "locking them in their room" but if it's just while you are training her to stay there it might help. Assuming of course that you would be able to hear her if she woke in the night and really needed you to come to her.

(Now this is just a suggestion as mine is only 22 months and we haven't started thinking about the move to the bed yet, I'll prob be on here asking the same questions!)

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pampers1

Sorry about the abbreviation there! Anyways... that's not a bad idea but I can see her just calling and calling me all night or else just climbing over the gate as she has no fear at all! I just have visions of her sitting there behind the bars asking to be let out. I know it wouldn't be forever and maybe just one or two nights but still. I might give it a try though. Thanks a mill for your feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

We got off handy enough with the transition from cot to bed. We told her that it was her "big girls bed" and tried to make a big deal out of it / make it exciting. She loved that. Of course there were a few incidents, but for the most part she took to it relatively well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

We got alarm clocks and they have to stay in their rooms playing until the alarm goes off...if they come out their rooms, I just say nothing and take them by the hand and put them back to bed until they stay there. First few nights are hard going but then they get the idea that there is no attention for getting up.

The other issue is why she's waking up at 5am...make sure there are no drinks after 6pm & get black out curtains up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 speedscot

That's the best advice right there - just take the wee one straight back to bed with no fuss, no extra drinks or anything they might be asking for (it's all attention seeking). Don't talk, avoid making eye contact, put straight back to bed and walk away. You might have to do it many many times before it starts working but eventually they won't be bothered getting up as they know it won't get them anywhere. Don't give more cuddles or kisses or long night-nights or anything. Save all the fussing and loving for the first time they are put to bed. Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement