Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a microwave

Options
  • 16-03-2010 10:33am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My 800w microwave gave up the ghost, it makes noise but doesn't heat anything.

I'll be looking at getting a new microwave and wonder should I get one with an integrated grill and oven. Are these just a fad or are they any use? I do like cooking but don't have much time in the kitchen at the moment. That's due to change in April when I'll be having more free time in the evenings so I'm trying to think ahead and get something that might benefit me more.

Things to consider:
    • Integrated oven/grill
    • Wattage: Why should I get more power?
    • Litre: there are different capacity microwaves.
    • Dimensions: some have more depth, some are taller, what are the benefits?

Any advice would be great!

List of microwaves on Amazon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

More power/watts will heat stuff faster, good for heating liquids but can be too fast/powerful at cooking or defrosting -you get dry edges/spots, but just leave it on lower power. If very high power you might get tripping out if other things are on the same circuit which are high power, like a toaster or kettle. Many high power ones set on say defrost will still output too high a power, most microwaves tend to defrost by heating full power on and off in cycles, you can hear this happening if you listen carefully.

I would like a grill on mine so I could have it timed and not have to worry about leaving it on. (I have a separate timer on my george foreman)

Internal size is to do with fitting in large bowls or casserole dishes etc, but bigger size means more room needed in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah im looking to get one aswell, Tesco actually have a good range of them, from just €39:eek: all the way up to €200 ish. A grill might be handy, but id mostly use it for reheating and defrosting.....

Advertisement