Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

110 eur for an oil change ???

• 16-03-2010 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭

I dropped my Megane in to a main dealer for an oil change today and the fee will be 110 eur! Bloody hell, the recession must be over lads :( This is just an oil change; plugs and filters are not required. Out of curiosity, how much does "Joe, the mechanic 'round the corner" charge?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Why didn't you ring around before hand ?

That's the problem you see, people complain about things being a rip-off but they just go and drop something in to get down without enquiring how much it's going to cost before hand.

It's a standard enough price from a main dealer anyway, is that the one that includes a years AA membership ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

€50-€60 with semi synthetic oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

bothyhead wrote: »
    This is just an oil change; plugs and filters are not required.

Filter should always be changed when changing the oil, plugs too depending on the mileage and when last changed.

Instead of paying someone €110 to drain and pour in oil you could go down to Halfords and buy a large bottle of oil and do it yourself for €50!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Joe around the corner would charge €110 for an basic service. Accept, you would be told that you also need an oil filter and a fuel filter and this would be included in the price.
    Why did you change the oil without changing the filter? Did you just ask for oil?

I'd imagine the filter was changed as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Filter should always be changed when changing the oil, plugs too depending on the mileage and when last changed.

Instead of paying someone €110 to drain and pour in oil you could go down to Halfords and buy a large bottle of oil and do it yourself for €50!

or a motor factors and do it for under €20.

just did an oil change the weekend,

gallon of oil: €12.50.
    oil filter:€5

hobochris wrote: »
    or a motor factors and do it for under €20.

just did an oil change the weekend,

gallon of oil: €12.50.
    oil filter:€5

Not a decent semi synthetic oil for 12.50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

Jip wrote: »
    Why didn't you ring around before hand ?

That's the problem you see, people complain about things being a rip-off but they just go and drop something in to get down without enquiring how much it's going to cost before hand.

Yeah, it's out of habit, I suppose ... from the years when we had all that disposable income.
    Jip wrote: »
    It's a standard enough price from a main dealer anyway, is that the one that includes a years AA membership ?

I'm sure that all main dealers' are the same price, but how on earth can they justify those prices? Say a gallon of oil is 30 quid. That leaves 80 quid to unscrew a nut, leave the oil drain out at it's leisure, tighten the nut, and finally pour the new oil in.

The AA membership / oil change deal was 129.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

It all depends on the oil, a fully synthetic long life oil could cost €80-€90 on it's own without any labour. Filter about €10.

I can't remember ever changing the oil in my car for €12.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

dealer labour rates are about 150 an hour - so they take half an hour its 75 quid straight away.

12.50 is very cheap for oil - I just change the oil on a corsa and 5L cost ~30 quid, that was LIQUI MOLY 10w40.

• Advertisement

It all depends on the oil, a fully synthetic long life oil could cost €80-€90 on it's own without any labour. Filter about €10.

5 liters of vavoline semi synthetic €22
    5 liters of vavoline fully synthetic €45

The megane would only require semi really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Knowing the guy behind the counter helps I suppose...

hobochris wrote: »
    Knowing the guy behind the counter helps I suppose...

Indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

but how on earth can they justify those prices?

As voxpop said, the labour rate at a dealer is quite dear, the sum of which is often more expensive than the parts used.

cadaliac wrote: »
    Why did you change the oil without changing the filter? Did you just ask for oil?

I am a low usage user. My last full service was 18 months / 7,000 miles ago. I was told today that, because of the low mileage, I only needed a 'service' (as opposed to a full service). The guy told me that a service was just an oil change. Perhaps an oil filter will be included - though my understanding was that it would not. I'll know for sure tonight when I see the invoice.

Tenzor07 wrote: »

I used to do my own oil, filters and plugs when I had a Clio. The problem with the Megan was that I couldn't find the oil filter :o

Thanks for all the replies guys, appreciated.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I got charged €119 for a full service on an 09 Fiesta by a main dealer recently, and then got a €30 voucher back from them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

you should always change the oil filter when changing the oil. Try to get it changed once a year even if you have low mileage. Joe around the cornor could do this for you for a lot less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From a Joe Blog mechanic, 20-25 labour plus cost of filter and oil. Some will use whatever parts you bring them so you only pay them for labour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I'll buy that car off you. Don't worry about the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

€150 an hour in a Renault dealer?

Jaysus got my last service done in a Skoda dealer that charges €60 an hour.

Shop around is all I'll say - if they want your business play them off against each other price wise.

Also, I'd fully expect a filter to be changed with the oil. It's standard practice for minor services I would have thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Well, I changed mine just last weekend.

Synthetic VW505.01 oil @ €10/litre approx, needs 6.8 litres, so that's €68 straight away. (Had to buy 2 x 5L though so €100 spent.) Oil filter was another €15 give-or-take.

Parts/material cost alone thus €83.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

BTW, remember there's also a cost associated with getting rid of the old oil responsibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

voxpop wrote: »
    dealer labour rates are about 150 an hour
    I don't think even the most prestigious of German car dealers chargers that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I find Halfords very expensive for oil. I remember seeing a gallon of Castrol Edge 5-W30 in there once for a whole €15 more than my local motor factors. Unbelievable!!

Now I just to go the Ford dealers and buy the oil from them. They're actually the cheapest and there's never any confusion with oil and air filters etc.

I do it myself for around €30 and I've a bit of oil left over for topping up. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

T-Maxx wrote: »
    BTW, remember there's also a cost associated with getting rid of the old oil responsibly.
    There is but most recycling centres will take it for free if you do the job yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

bryaner wrote: »
    5 liters of vavoline semi synthetic €22
    5 liters of vavoline fully synthetic €45

The megane would only require semi really

I was thinking 4 litres Castrol €45, my car takes 6.5 litres. Therefore it normally works out cheaper to buy 2 x 4 litres. Apologies for the confusion.
    Are Valvoline selling in 5 litre containers?

T-Maxx wrote: »

Yeah, I think the last invoice had oil disposal down as a fiver.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just did a full service on my own car this weekend.

38.53 euros incl vat for Oil filter,air filter,4 plugs,gallon of 10w40 oil.

OP--learn to do a service yourself and you`ll save a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

No dealer will change the oil and not the filter. And no decent oil is available to the public at €2.50 a litre.

The standard price for oil and filter and a general check over / levels etc is about €90-100. €110 for oil and filter and presumably topping up of other levels and a check from a main dealer is not that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Just did a full service on my own car this weekend.

38.53 euros incl vat for Oil filter,air filter,4 plugs,gallon of 10w40 oil.

OP--learn to do a service yourself and you`ll save a fortune.

Where did you get the parts for that price? €38.53 for oil+filter, air filter, and 4 plugs ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

gpf101 wrote: »
    Where did you get the parts for that price? €38.53 for oil+filter, air filter, and 4 plugs ?

From the factors I deal with here in the job.

The oil change is the least of my worries - the timing belt also needs replacing (490) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

JHMEG wrote: »
    I don't think even the most prestigious of German car dealers chargers that much.

Oh yes they do :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Magic Volkswagen oil costs 70 ish quid. When i served the brothers car at Christmas.

If it wasn't my brothers car or his Christmas present it wouldn't have been magic Volkswagen oil it would a non magic semi synth.

Oh yes they do :)

Thankfully I don't drive a prestigious German car then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Magic Volkswagen oil costs 70 ish quid. When i served the brothers car at Christmas.

If it wasn't my brothers car or his Christmas present it wouldn't have been magic Volkswagen oil it would a non magic semi synth.

Didnt someone link to or copy from an explanation of the different types of oil and why one type costs more than the other - the conclusion was that almost any oil can be call semi-synth and that not all semi-synth are equal. In addition to this he basically said that expensive oils are expensive because they have alot of technology in them.

Edit : Found it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64601208&postcount=38

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I got charged €119 for a full service on an 09 Fiesta by a main dealer recently, and then got a €30 voucher back from them.

which dealer was this? I need to get a service done on an 09 Fiesta too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

voxpop wrote: »
    Didnt someone link to or copy from an explanation of the different types of oil and why one type costs more than the other - the conclusion was that almost any oil can be call semi-synth and that not all semi-synth are equal. In addition to this he basically said that expensive oils are expensive because they have alot of technology in them.

Edit : Found it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64601208&postcount=38

Its great marketing for Silkoline which is opie oils main product.

Ill stick to a normal semi-synth change at less less than 6k and i should see the happy side of 150k mikes again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Lads, lets just cool the jets here a minute.

Was the car in for a service in a Renault main dealer, or another franchise?

Even though the only two items that are required to be renewed at an oil change are -

- Oil
    - Oil Filter

- there is a bit more work involved.

- Visual inspection
    - Light and bulb inspection
    - Tyre inspection
    - Brake inspection
    - Diagnostics (maybe not if it wasnt in with Renault)
    - Test drive

All of the above has to be checked for legal and insurance reasons. Now, this may only take 20 minutes in itself, but add it into the say 20 minutes for the oil change (more likely half an hour) and your not far from your hours labour. Most places in Dublin have a labour rate of around 100 euro per hour, so say 80 quid for the work above, without the parts.

Now, 4-5 litres of oil will cost around 30 euro, plus your tenner for the filter. That adds up to 120 euro. Which i think isnt that bad for a main dealer.

To compare, I got a local guy I've always used for my work to change the oil, oil filter, and air filter for 80 quid.

Excellent post drummerboy.

We`ve a similar offer on at the minute.

120 for an oil change and 99 point check.
    I service my own so I woulnt bother booking it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Excellent post drummerboy.

We`ve a similar offer on at the minute.

120 for an oil change and 99 point check.
    I service my own so I woulnt bother booking it in.

Agree. The OP's deal seems spot on to me.
    Correct oil for my car from the dealer costs around €70-75 from memory. And thats when its handed to you in a drum over the counter.

Lads, lets just cool the jets here a minute.

Was the car in for a service in a Renault main dealer, or another franchise?

Even though the only two items that are required to be renewed at an oil change are -

- Oil
    - Oil Filter

- there is a bit more work involved.

- Visual inspection
    - Light and bulb inspection
    - Tyre inspection
    - Brake inspection
    - Diagnostics (maybe not if it wasnt in with Renault)
    - Test drive

Yes it's a Renault main dealer, and you are correct, other problems were indeed observed: wiper blade, faulty bulb holder, and the most important - that the timing belt needs changing.

Question: Are diagnostics part of a routine service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

IMO, most main dealers should hook up the car to the diagnostics computer to check for updates and recalls.

I know if you were to bring the car in and ask for this to be carried out outside of a normal service, you would be charged. I think most places will include it in a service - minor or major.

This is all assuming the car is brought to a franchised garage i.e. Renault to Renault, Ford to Ford, etc etc.

Question: Are diagnostics part of a routine service?
    Not if there is no malfunction lamp illuminated. No point in diagnosing a non-problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

BMW are advertising an Oil Service (includes mircofilter) in today's Irish Examiner for €143 for the 3 Series (E46 models only), and 4 cyl. models only in very small print down the bottom.

An Oil Service and an Inspecton I which includes safety checks is €239 for the same models.

So for €143 you get an oil and filter change on a 4 cyl engine with no checks whatsoever. This is a 20 miniute job max. What the hell are they pouring into the engine? And they're actually advertising this as 'BMW VALUE SERVICE'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

JHMEG wrote: »
    Not if there is no malfunction lamp illuminated. No point in diagnosing a non-problem.

I always hook up the diagnostic machines on services. Just because there's no malfunction light is no reason not to. There can be recalls, software updates to be installed as well as plenty of problems which want bring on lights that i'm sure our customers would like to know about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

<Ollie> wrote: »
    BMW are advertising an Oil Service (includes mircofilter) in today's Irish Examiner for €143 for the 3 Series (E46 models only), and 4 cyl. models only in very small print down the bottom.

An Oil Service and an Inspecton I which includes safety checks is €239 for the same models.

So for €143 you get an oil and filter change on a 4 cyl engine with no checks whatsoever. This is a 20 miniute job max. What the hell are they pouring into the engine? And they're actually advertising this as 'BMW VALUE SERVICE'.

Micro Filter alone is approx 50euro
    oil will be another 50-70 euro as BMW use Castrol Edge (LL04) oil.
    oil filter will be about 15-20euro
    Labour.

considering all of the below is carried out :
    1. Engine oil is removed and replaced with new oil
    2. Oil filter is removed and replaced with new filter
    3. Service interval indicator resp. Condition Based Service is reset according to factory specifications
    4. Microfilter is removed and replaced with new microfilter

i think its a very good price and you also get the important Main Dealers Service stamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I did the oil and filter on my S80 last Friday evening since it was nice out.
    Could not tell you what Volvo would charge for this, but the oil and filter cost me 52 euro in motor factors and 40 mins or so to do the job myself. I would expect to pay 3 times that figure at a Volvo dealership.

• Advertisement
Advertisement