Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new timing belt problem

• 16-03-2010 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

I got a new timing belt but on my Bora, it's a 04 1.9 TDI. I got it put on last Thursday and I only drove it home from the garage and noticed it was making a weird sound.

I went away for the weekend and drove it yesterday then properly to see how it was. It makes a "whooosh" sound when I putmy foot on the accelerator. Also, the power is basically gone. It takes ages to build up any speed whatsoever. Beforehand, the car was pretty fast and would move if I put my foot on the accelerator. Now it barely moves even in second gear. Plus, it splutters a bit when driving at a constant speed in the middle to high gears.

I contacted the garage and they said it had nothing to do with the timing belt. However, I never had any such problem with my car before and it is clear there is a big problem. They say they are not going to fix it without me paying them big bucks again. I already paid €560 for the timing belt with a full service, and I have got the car back worse than it was.

Anyway, a few questions...
    Could this be a timing belt problem? Perhaps it was fitted too tight/loose?
    If it is a timing belt problem, are they obliged to fix it since I paid for it originally?
    If it's not a timing belt problem, what could it be?
    If it was another problem that occured as a result of the service, are they obliged to fix it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

They may have got the timing wrong, surely the work is guaranteed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

sounds like a boost leak. i bet they didnt put back one of the pipes right and now its leaking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I rang the citizens information crowd and they said they are obliged to fix it if it is a timing belt problem. The problem is though that it is not enforced and the only thing I can do it take them to the small claims court, apparently.

I am bringing the car back in and hour and seeing what they say. They told me they'd hook it up to the computer to see what the problem is and that is all that they would do.

was it a main dealer or independant garage?

sean1141 wrote: »
    was it a main dealer or independant garage?

Independant garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭choo choo man

As post above , i would say a pipe was left off the turbo. I would give the garage another try to fix the issue,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Keep us informed of whats wrong.

I would always like to read how these problems are resolved and what caused them when people get them fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Any smoke?

As above, sounds like they've either left a pipe loose or didn't fit it to the turbo.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    Any smoke?

As above, sounds like they've either left a pipe loose or didn't fit it to the turbo.

It was exactly that. The pipe wasn't fitted properly and it was the one that was fitted to the turbo.

I brought it in and one of the mechanics, the boss, was saying that the belt was fitted right and that it was not their problem if it became too tight. He was pretty ignorant about it.

Then the other mechanic came over and had a look and he knew what was wrong straight away. He fixed it within 5 minutes.

The dashboard lights are still on though. Your man reckons it's one to do with the water temp gauge, well one of them. He reckons it's the one at the back of the engine and if I wanted to get it fixed, he'd have to take the engine out just for this small job. He recommends not getting it done because it's such a small job. He says the car is running perfectly. The problem is that my nct is coming up in two weeks. He can knock the lights off with the computer thing prior to the nct but it would only stay off for about 30 minutes. I'm not sure what to do. It's a big job for a minimal problem that isn't even a problem. Ridiculous.

when my temp guage was gone it never light up any dash light... its only a ten min job to replace a coolant temp sensor which is a common fault on the vag engine.
    did they knock off the light for you? and did it come back on?? what part of the country are you in? if you were close to me i could scan it for you..

• Advertisement

sean1141 wrote: »
    when my temp guage was gone it never light up any dash light... its only a ten min job to replace a coolant temp sensor which is a common fault on the vag engine.
    did they knock off the light for you? and did it come back on?? what part of the country are you in? if you were close to me i could scan it for you..

That's what your man told me anyway! He knocked it off with the computer, but it came back on after about half an hour. He knocked it off the second time after the service and the same thing happened.

I live in Enfield but am around Dublin the majority of the time.

Advertisement