Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thanks to the cyclist who came to my aid...

• 16-03-2010 11:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Had a disaster of a commute today. Within 5 mins of leaving the house I got a puncture. Quickly changed the tube and used a C02 cartridge to fill it up, within half an hour tyre was going soft again so I pulled up to check it out, while trying to open the top of the valve so I could put more air in the whole valve came out so instead of a soft tyre I was again completely flat. Mechanical/stupidity issues with my second CO2 cartridge meant I was still left with a flat tyre. Realised I had not packed my pump and my Presta valve adapter was in the saddle bag of my otehr bike. (must get a second one)

I was in the Scholarstown road area and decided the best thing to do was walk to Tempelogue village as I think it is the nearest bike shop. I had only walked about 5 mins when a cyclist (on a Cervelo S2) stoped and helped me out with a CO2 canister and the offer of a new tube as well.

Thanks again and hopfully I can repay the favour to another cyclist some day soon.

2 hrs to get to work instead of 1hr :mad: hopefully that is my ration of punctures for the next while.

Again whoever you were thanks for the dig out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was in the Scholarstown road area and decided the best thing to do was walk to Tempelogue village as I think it is the nearest bike shop.
    Unfortunately yes it is. I've been thinking for a while about the feasibility of setting up a bike shop in Woodstown as there's a massive catchment area there of Firhouse/Knocklyon/Rathfarnham that's not serviced by any nearby bike shops and has a massive amount of bikes passing through at the weekends.

Kudos to the guy who came to your aid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I was in the Scholarstown road area and decided the best thing to do was walk to Tempelogue village as I think it is the nearest bike shop.

Not exactly the shortest walk!
    seamus wrote: »
    I've been thinking for a while about the feasibility of setting up a bike shop in Woodstown as there's a massive catchment area there of Firhouse/Knocklyon/Rathfarnham that's not serviced by any nearby bike shops and has a massive amount of bikes passing through at the weekends.

Recession is actually a very good time to set up a bike shop, with people trying to save money on car costs, and in boom times it can be just as good with people willing to splash out on anything! Also during a recession, people will tend to repair rather than replace, so servicing in all industries usually doesnt suffer.

It is a bit disappointing that the nearest LBS is hollingsworth. I lived in Firhouse until last year, when I moved to knocklyon and in a few weeks im moving to Hunterswood, so I've been through the nightmare walk-with-your-bike commute once or twice, and probably will again.

I never thought of the amount of business you could pull in in the area, as you said its quite busy on the weekends with people heading up the hills. On a few occasions I've seen people walking their bikes down stocking lane wearing SPDs, and its a good few miles to the nearest shop. Cant imagine that being too comfortable.

Either way, go for it seamus, i'll keep you in business buying a tube or two every few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

seamus wrote:
    I've been thinking for a while about the feasibility of setting up a bike shop in Woodstown

If you do decide to setup a shop and are looking for cheap labour let me know. i would love to work in a bike shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

abcdggs wrote: »
    If you do decide to setup a shop and are looking for cheap labour let me know. i would love to work in a bike shop

My brother in law loves working in bikeshops too. He worked in a bikeshop for years as a student. He now works some hours each week for free in the shop as he works full time as a software developer. Needless to say his best mate owns the place and he gets to play with the latest gear. The shop isn't in Ireland which is a pity otherwise I'd probably be hanging around it all day too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Yeah, I'm a student now as well, unfortunately none of my friends have any interest in cycling so i dont "know a guy" to get a few hours a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well there's thinking, "Hey, that'd be a good idea", and there's actually going out and researching it. :D

Though it would be awesome to work like five minutes from home *and* be my own boss. I would also open sane hours, like 7am - 10am, 12pm - 2pm and 4pm - 7pm on weekdays to catch people who need to run in before/after work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Well there's thinking, "Hey, that'd be a good idea", and there's actually going out and researching it. :D

Though it would be awesome to work like five minutes from home *and* be my own boss. I would also open sane hours, like 7am - 10am, 12pm - 2pm and 4pm - 7pm on weekdays to catch people who need to run in before/after work.

I reckon if the chartbusters in woodstown went belly up you'd have the perfect unit size-wise and somewhat prominent. Go on....do it.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

abcdggs, I'm not sure how advanced or not you are, but Rothar do bike maintenance workshops if you're only starting off -- http://rothar.ie/bike_maintenance_workshops.html

I don't think you'd need to be open from 7am tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You'll get to buy all the latest gear and not feel guilty cause you'll make a profit....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

I was cycling from taylors heading towards scholarstown road not so long a go and i was sure i seen a house with a small extension which had a big bike shop sign on it! now i dont think it was a bike shop but rather a parts shop as it was very small. It was on the raod called templeroan close according to google maps in the small housing estate on the left the same side as the garage. Please someone confirm that is or was such a place, otherwise i am developing some new form of cyclists syndrome that identifys everything as something to do with cycling :eek: I could even see two men standing in the place, they didnt look to busy either. its a fair distance from the road but still i am sure that it was some sort of bike shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

davey101 wrote: »
    I was cycling from taylors heading towards scholarstown road not so long a go and i was sure i seen a house with a small extension which had a big bike shop sign on it! now i dont think it was a bike shop but rather a parts shop as it was very small. It was on the raod called templeroan close according to google maps in the small housing estate on the left the same side as the garage. Please someone confirm that is or was such a place, otherwise i am developing some new form of cyclists syndrome that identifys everything as something to do with cycling :eek: I could even see two men standing in the place, they didnt look to busy either. its a fair distance from the road but still i am sure that it was some sort of bike shop.

Templeroan close is on my commute, I will keep an eye out tomorrow.

Advertisement