Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New (old?) footage of THAT EVO moment

Options
  • 16-03-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Seems as the clip is from 2004, it can't exactly be called new but it is a different perspective. Before, I had just seen the footage of the screen and then the crowd shot - this shows the players in action...I found it interesting at least :)

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Someone posted that a few weeks back. Justin went into Marvel mode. Mashing to try get a few more hits from his Super.

Also funny to see him using a bat stick with two flat rows of buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I love how daigo just walks up and uses whatever stick is there (a two player stick actually). Most people like their own personal stick

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Malchia

EVO moment no. 37... I'll never get tired of seeing this =]

The crowd does kinda cheer at the simplest things tho... 'OMG a super link' 'OMG a throw' :p

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

animaX wrote: »
    I love how daigo just walks up and uses whatever stick is there (a two player stick actually). Most people like their own personal stick

actually terry, the stick if you look closer is not just some random stick daigo picked up, its a custom made arcade stick with this astro city pannel on top

http://www.highway.net.au/img_news/img_149.jpg

The pannel has all sanwa parts and is just like the arcade which is why the japanese players are using it. I was at evo that year and used the same stick for my tournament matches, i made top 32 that year in both 3s and st.

Also this is the arcade version of 3rd strike, not the ps2 version, just incase you thought it was.

Evo was too sick that year, most people say it was the best one.

You guys gota go evo sometime, its wicked fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

chunkis wrote: »
    You guys gota go evo sometime, its wicked fun!

Planning to head over this year - show some non-eSports people what the big deal is with moments and crowds like this. Fighting game scene is probably the perfect introduction!

(Really have to book those flights!)

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Planning to head over this year - show some non-eSports people what the big deal is with moments and crowds like this. Fighting game scene is probably the perfect introduction!

(Really have to book those flights!)

flights are around 450 gbp if you fly 31st june and return around the 13th of july flying into lax.

Thats what my plans are anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

actually terry, the stick if you look closer is not just some random stick daigo picked up, its a custom made arcade stick with this astro city pannel on top

http://www.highway.net.au/img_news/img_149.jpg

The pannel has all sanwa parts and is just like the arcade which is why the japanese players are using it. I was at evo that year and used the same stick for my tournament matches, i made top 32 that year in both 3s and st.
    Looks more like a version of the SEGA Virtual Stick Pro HSS-0130 (modded?), or a modded Blaze Twin Stick to me.
    Course, it COULD just be a bezel ripped of a candy cab & wired up (as you said)[/nerd mode]
    Also this is the arcade version of 3rd strike, not the ps2 version, just incase you thought it was.
    Interesting read: 3rd Strike was the ONLY game still on arcade hardware that year, using a Supergun setup (DB-15/25 pins, I'm guessing).
    The only exception this year is that Street Fighter III: Third Strike is going to have to go the "super gun" route because of Street Fighter Anniversary's release date being pushed back. As of right now, it is the only title using arcade hardware at Evolution 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Something new to go with that moment however is some 'rare quotations of S-kill actually talking about it'

Note the context is that some eejits on SRK thought roah was daigo and that s-kill was was talking about the moment roah shrugged off justin wong after wong won.
    S-kill

Just to be clear (I shot this footage--sorry it's not exactly commentary, but probably the first time I talked about an SF match on camera), the first player is indeed Raoh. Justin beats him, and Raoh is unhappy.

After Raoh loses and Justin celebrates, the next player you see is Daigo. The line "rare footage of Daigo actually angry" refers to that match, not Raoh's anger. Having watched the whole round against Justin, it was clear to me that Daigo was frustrated by Justin's "turtle style" and was playing in an uncharacteristic way, actually showing some signs of frustration earlier in the fight. The parry obviously restored his composure and simultaneously gave Justin a bit of a "mental guard crush," hence the next round result.

To add to that, heres another interesting post from someone who was there at the time. Which adds to my point when I tried to explain to people that full super parrying was not that rare in 3s and I'd be seeing on ****ty 2df even. The crowd wasn't going mental simply due to the full parry.

Context:
    James

It makes me angry, because long ago I wrote a HUGE post describing why Daigo's parry was as epic as it was. But then there was the huge SRK database crash and that post was lost forever. It was huge and long, too, and really set the tone properly.

So lemme try to rewrite it, especially as someone who was there front and center.

Here's the history. Japan had punished us badly in 3rd Strike ALL the time. So it was unlikely any Japan player was gonna lose to some scrubby American at all, even if the Japanese player was only average. There simply wasn't any way America could win in 3rd Strike over Japan. At this time, it was unheard of, and the level of Japan was just accepted to be THAT MUCH higher than anything the U.S. could muster.

So when Justin actually defeated Raoh, it was like O_O. I mean, it was BIG. HUGE. I don't think 3S players today understand how much of an upset that was. Raoh was a REALLY good player, part of the 5 on 5 team for 3rd Strike in the very first USA vs. Japan event featured in Bang the Machine. No one expected it, Justin wasn't known as a 3S player at the time, so it was just madness. And the fact that Justin defeated Raoh in a mirror match by literally frustrating Raoh to death via turtling was just shocking to everyone.

So after Justin beat Raoh, everyone was still buzzing during Justin's next match against Daigo. The audience was still kinda antsy, fueled even more by Raoh's brush off of Justin's attempted hand shake. And then Justin's turtle style was getting the better of Daigo, and you could see in Daigo's game, he was getting frustrated. Even at one point in the match (right before the clip here starts), Daigo literally stopped moving Ken... stood in place for a few seconds without touching a button or moving the joystick, almost taunting Justin, who was 3/4 a screen away, like, "Really? You are just gonna turtle all day?"

So when it looked like Justin was poised to take Game 1, you have to understand that, by now, the audience is REALLY buzzing. Everyone is really on edge. Could it be possible? Could Daigo really be defeated by Justin?!? So there was a lot of pent up energy in the audience, really on the edge of their seats. Could this really be happening??? This was loser's finals and the winner would go on to face KO. By now, people were already wondering if Justin could possibly defeat 3 Japanese players in a row.

So imagine how the audience must have felt once Daigo started Parrying that Super. Everyone was already kinda in shock, most people were just sitting there not sure what to believe any more. Everyone had already figured Daigo lost that game, so when Daigo got that FIRST parry in, all that pent up energy just EXPLODED. The mood and momentum and everything, that was SO in favor of Justin, just instantly shift right there.

And to make what Daigo did even more crazy was how he just managed to stay so calm and pull off the combo like nothing with that much pandemonium going on around him. It was just crazy.

So it wasn't really that Daigo parried the whole Super that made everyone go crazy. Even then, it wasn't uncommon. But you really have to understand the circumstances in which it happened. Anyone else from Japan, you have to imagine, would have been SUPER nervous and frustrated that this kid was beating the Japanese at the game they claimed as their game. Just knowing that national pride was also on the line would have made even a superhero crack under the pressure.

But Daigo parried everything, didn't even flinch, and won that game.

It was simply AMAZING.

- James

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Great post that. Good find Sisko.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Wow, Raoh shows his sportsmanship when he pushes away Justin's handshake. What a charmer! Great video and post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I love how Justin has his little mini celebration after beating Raoh then when Daigo parries his super and does that sick finihs, Justin is like 0_0

lol

Oh and Evo 2k4 = Birth of the Daigo dick riders -__-

It's quite ironic because Daigo didn't even win Evo 2k4 :pac:

He was known as the beast before that but yeah true. But whats also amazing really is if you watch, the crowd is going nutz and daigo never stops looking at the screen. He doesn't pause even for a second to look around after the win, he's straight into the character select screen and starting the next round.

He's not even human that guy.

Sisko wrote: »
    He's not even human that guy

Yeah, he's Japanese :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Its amazing to watch the full video again in light of sisko's post above. Justin was playing so annoyingly in that round. Anyone else would have gotten so frustrated and careless. Then when he parries its like, "this is how you play the game" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

If you look at the vid, it seems Justin tried to do the super once, whipped it, and then did it again? Looking at his hand movements.

Jim wrote: »
    If you look at the vid, it seems Justin tried to do the super once, whipped it, and then did it again? Looking at his hand movements.

Probably using the gayfag MVC2 tactic of of pretending to do moves to bait a mistake from your opponent

Cause looking at your opponents buttons is awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

He did the motion to try bait a move from Daigo and also to make it unclear when he was going to Super.

animaX wrote: »
    Its amazing to watch the full video again in light of sisko's post above. Justin was playing so annoyingly in that round. Anyone else would have gotten so frustrated and careless. Then when he parries its like, "this is how you play the game" :pac:

Yeah the more we learn about that epic fight, the more epic it becomes. You can see daigo pause a few times during the fight, just as that post describes and you hear the crowd laughing when he does it.

If Justin kept it up and didn't try to be flashy, he would have won.

Advertisement