Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Connecting an external hard drive to Xbox?

• 16-03-2010 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭

Just wondering can this be done? I know my mates have done it with their playstations, just use the usb connection that would normally connect the external hard drive to the computer. They can then play anything on the hard drive through the playstation. Anyone ever do this with the xbox?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

Once its FAT32 formatted it should work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Yes you can connect a USB flash drive or external hard-drive via USB without any problems. I do it all the time to watch avi files or listen to my
    own mp3s as in-game music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Just what I wanted to hear cheers lads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭blues2

i have tried to do this but the xbox wont play avi. says i need an update. tried this with files from xbox site but still wont work - any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

blues2 wrote: »
    i have tried to do this but the xbox wont play avi. says i need an update. tried this with files from xbox site but still wont work - any ideas?

I think you need to be connected to X-Box Live for it to work. As far as I know it only has to be a silver account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Actually yeah, it is a pain in the arse that you need to be signed in and connected to xbox live for the update to work. I wish they could sort this out.

Apart from this, external HD connected to the 360 (or PS3 when needs be) is my main method for watching movies or tv these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,644 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    I think you need to be connected to X-Box Live for it to work. As far as I know it only has to be a silver account.
    it doesn't matter what grade of account you have to get the media update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    Actually yeah, it is a pain in the arse that you need to be signed in and connected to xbox live for the update to work. I wish they could sort this out.

Apart from this, external HD connected to the 360 (or PS3 when needs be) is my main method for watching movies or tv these days.

try to do as per this post. It worked for me!

How do you access the hard drive once its connected? Can't see how I can play the files..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

niallo24 wrote: »
    How do you access the hard drive once its connected? Can't see how I can play the files..

My Xbox, Video Library, Portable Device.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    My Xbox, Video Library, Portable Device.

When I go there the "portable device" option is greyed out. It might be to do with the formatting of the hard drive as someone said. The hard drive is currently NFTS, but the only other option I have to format is to "exFAT" and not "FAT32". Does this mean I am screwed?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Stuey Byrne

Yea i recently hooked up an external hard drive to my xbox 360, but it wouldnt play or transfer any movies or music etc coz i didnt have xbox live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

niallo24 wrote: »
    When I go there the "portable device" option is greyed out. It might be to do with the formatting of the hard drive as someone said. The hard drive is currently NFTS, but the only other option I have to format is to "exFAT" and not "FAT32". Does this mean I am screwed?

get this and format the hard drive in fat32 and you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

is there a way to format without everything been deleted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Nope, formatting changes the file structure on the disc and to do that everything is deleted prior to the format. Best to have a backup, or copy the content to another computer first.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

is there a way to format without everything been deleted

Partition magic can convert ntfs to Fat32 without losing data afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Alan_007_

Is there any way to use an external hard drive to store games,DLCs,etc. onto?

Advertisement