Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resonance of Fate

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Looks like the kinda game that'll take some time to really get into but will be worth it!!!...is the anime placed before or after the game?

Also in the link you posted, did the music sound alot like something off the FFXII soundtrack?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

carbonkid wrote: »
    Looks like the kinda game that'll take some time to really get into but will be worth it!!!...is the anime placed before or after the game?

Also in the link you posted, did the music sound alot like something off the FFXII soundtrack?
    The anime is placed at the same time, its slightly different but fellows the same storyline.

and the music is kinda ffish.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seriously just buy it you can thank me later. The battle system is excellent, it looks and sounds gorgeous and the story and characters are wonderful.

The soundtrack sounds familiar because it'sby Hitoshi Sakimoto who did the FFXII, FF Tactics and Vagrant Story soundtracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Flaregon wrote: »
    The anime is placed at the same time, its slightly different but fellows the same storyline.

and the music is kinda ffish.
    111542.jpg

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Seriously just buy it you can thank me later. The battle system is excellent, it looks and sounds gorgeous and the story and characters are wonderful.

The soundtrack sounds familiar because it'sby Hitoshi Sakimoto who did the FFXII, FF Tactics and Vagrant Story soundtracks.

Yea im totally sold on this game. I was lookin for a jrpg that wasnt final fantasy. This sounds interesting, under 20e and theres an anime to follow after...niiiice ^_^

valkyria chronicles that is...probably try Resonance of Fate after.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Finished up with Mass Effect 2 yesterday (best RPG of this generation) and Resonance of Fate was sitting there in my letterbox when I got home, so I'm planning on getting stuck into it tonight. Like the steampunk setting already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finished up with Mass Effect 2 yesterday (best RPG of this generation)

Go play Demon's Souls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Go play Demon's Souls.

I'm tempted to look up the thread where you said Demon's Souls wasn't an RPG :p

Resonance of Fate looks like another game to add to the pile of JRPGs that look good but I'll possibly never find time to play. I'm currently trying to get through FF13 (getting there) / Yakuza 3 (too...many...sidequests) and stupidly started Monster Hunter Tri last night. Plus Valkyria Chronicles and Disgaea 3 unplayed... Shame so many good games were released at the same time, if RoF was released at any other time likely would have been a must buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Go play Demon's Souls.

I have. I've spent 40 hours playing it. It's ok.

• Advertisement

Blasphemy

Just checked out the trailer and gameplay for Demons Souls...is this game as good as it looks or does it get repetitive?

Had my mind made up in getting valkyria chronicles as my next rpg but think actually might go for Demons souls...need something nice and dark after all the Final Fantasy fluff ive played, as much as i love it :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Had my mind made up in getting valkyria chronicles as my next rpg but think actually might go for Demons souls...need something nice and dark after all the Final Fantasy fluff ive played, as much as i love it :P
    Get both of them.

Actually valkyria chronicles is going so cheap i might as well ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Resonance of Fate must have the steepest learning curve of any game I've ever played:eek: Was so frustrated with it by the time I had reached level 2. I was gettig my @ss handed to me. Have made it to level 5 but to be honest it seems to have very little holding power for me. One of the few games this generation that I probably won't complete (especially given that the completion time is 60-70hrs).

I was just listening to the ATB podcast about the game. The freelance reviewer of it said that for the first 20 hours the game is an absolute bitch to figure out but after the 20 hour mark and it all clicks you will start to begrudgingly like it and he was enjoying it. He also says the game may have driven him insane. The Review had to be given to him because the regular reviewer came back to the editor after 4 hours saying he couldn't review it because he didn't understand what the game wanted from him! The freelance review still said he can't recommend it to anyone really :)

I was just listening to the ATB podcast about the game. The freelance reviewer of it said that for the first 20 hours the game is an absolute bitch to figure out but after the 20 hour mark and it all clicks you will start to begrudgingly like it and he was enjoying it. He also says the game may have driven him insane. The Review had to be given to him because the regular reviewer came back to the editor after 4 hours saying he couldn't review it because he didn't understand what the game wanted from him! The freelance review still said he can't recommend it to anyone really :)

...but the fmvs sure look pretty! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Well I just downloaded the new(ish) content for Valkyria Chronicles so that should keep me occupied for a night or two. And it's only 2.49:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Vyse wrote: »
    Well I just downloaded the new(ish) content for Valkyria Chronicles so that should keep me occupied for a night or two. And it's only 2.49:eek:

I did it in a day.

The Ruhm from the (excellent) Selvaria missions allowed me to piss through it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

8hours (chapter 5 the getting wine for the lady mission *fap*) in it and i think this games well worth my ~20euro already!

if you play Valkyrie Profile 2 on ps2 before then RoF is like an upgraded version of VP2 by tri-ace on graphic wise. the battle system is original and refreshing(but gets old quickly once you figured it out).

story telling is the same old usual 'empty' storyline by tri-ace =_= i will see how can they surprise me in later chapters, i mean, this game is more gameplay driven(the unique DIY world map lol plus the side missions) than a story driven one, quite odd eh??

i love the visual artwork, very pretty indeed and i like the light-hearted dialogue etc so far.

• Advertisement

I have to wonder what happened to Tri-Aces storywriting after Valkyrie Profile?

I'll be picking this up after christmas, seems to be going ratehr cheap and one of those games you'll be reading about in future retrospectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I have started playing it recently also after getting it for just under €20 from Asda. First impressions are that it looks fantastic, it has a very peculiar art style and the music really stands out, so for that alone I would play it. The battle system however, is something else. I still suck at it at the moment, only on Chapter 2 I think, but I'm really enjoying learning to play. I think the game would have benefited from some tutorials or something a little more in depth than what the game has. Not FFXIII style uber-tutorials, but a few more varied fights to practice I think would do it good.

I really like the characters already, but I think I'm laughing at them more than with them if you know what I mean. I'm addicted to GT5 at the moment though so this poor gem may get neglected for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

ok...just the first very thought after i finished the game : WTF is going on with the story???!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler below:

after google by 'wtf resonance of fate story' and browse through wikipedia...i am certain that...either the translation team gone (terribly) wrong, or tri-ace's writers have gone totally insane (to expect us to understand the 'story' from the actual game play).

anywho, this game overall is gorgeous. it is defo more of a worty jrpg than ff13.

Weapon system: love the weapon customization system so much, i had so much fun!! i am impressed by tri-ace can come out a simple but just the right amout of complication in the well-balanced weapon system, a little too few weapons is prob the only con.

Battle system: original, new and refreshing. once you get used to it, it is easy and surprisingly decent. the level system is some balanced stuff, there is no need for extra grinding other than you may need to find some monster to kill to get some parts for upgrade(which there are not many parts compare to the like of ff13's trillion million parts). that said, i just generally avoid to grind/any battle in all my rpg, so RoF suits me so well. you can run away a battle easily and being able to leave a dungeon instantly.

story mode: the DIY world map is something new and the side quests are fine as in any standard jrpg. beautiful graphic and cg etc but god helps the awful story telling =_=

the 'new gen' jrpg that i played through are Lost Odysey, FF13 and this RoF. last remnant lost me after the first hour of play. never interested in Level 5 games and i am gonna wait for the real Tales game go hd. story wise, LO is defo the best one among the 3 i finshed. god, i missed the epicness jrpg feeling so much that i revisited FFX today.

cant wait for The last story and xenoblade. please be good two of you!!

Advertisement