Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms inport licenses still granted

Options
  • 16-03-2010 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi guys

I can confirm that they are indeed still being granted. You download the form in word format from the DoJ, fill it in, add a scan of your firearms licence and email! it to an email addy specified on the form. No need to sign, no cost.

1.5 weeks later the import licence shows up in your door. Least bureaucratic thing I've done in my life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Can you clarify are you applying for and getting the licence first, (3 months to infinity!!) then filling in the import form?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats the easy part in my experience, dealing with the relevant department on the other side (UK BERR) proved to be a major hassle for me.
    They wouldn't let me fly over and pick the firearm up regardless of whether I had a license, Article 7 and Europass, they would only allow the dealer to export it via Courier to here at a cost of £200.
    Now your experience might differ depending on where you are getting your gun from in the EU, mine wasn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

yep - and mine took 6 weeks ;) but my F.O. rocks. But you need to scan it and attach the scan

BTW here is the link to the form. http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/JELR/Pages/FM07000612

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Thats the easy part in my experience, dealing with the relevant department on the other side (UK BERR) proved to be a major hassle for me.
    They wouldn't let me fly over and pick the firearm up regardless of whether I had a license, Article 7 and Europass, they would only allow the dealer to export it via Courier to here at a cost of £200.
    Now your experience might differ depending on where you are getting your gun from in the EU, mine wasn't great.

Interesting since the thing is actually countersigned by the UK. But you still don't have a licence to own a gun in the UK of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Been there and done it.
    It has nothing to do with owning a gun in the UK.
    The problem is the BERR will not let the dealer clear the firearm from the UK without an end user cert being supplied and the way they choose to interpret this is that a firearms courier has to be used in order to make sure that the end user is in a different jurisdiction.
    You also cannot buy expanding ammunition in the UK without a variation on the FAC, and forget importing expanding ammo from the UK! NI might be different but the UK is a mess as far as this goes.
    The relevant documentation and authorities on this side are very good and efficient, the UK are a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Irish Springer

Have to say the guys at DoJ were fantastic once I received my licence (waited just 4 weeks) I filled in the form, scanned a copy of licence emailed it off and in 4 days I had the import licence back!
    Fantastic service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Under what circumstances is this licence required, and how does it differ from an Article 7 issued by the Gardai?

Dr_Teeth wrote: »
    Under what circumstances is this licence required, and how does it differ from an Article 7 issued by the Gardai?

I asked my F.O. and he said to contact the DoJ. So I did. No idea bout the Article 7. This one is counterstamped by the exporting country which makes it really cool.

Advertisement