Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Think I might like Blues. Can I get some suggestions

• 16-03-2010 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Love good tone. Live widdly widdly guitar licks, I could listen to them all day.

Could anyone give me some suggestions of entry level stuff that I could start listening to?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I would not say that blues has an entry level as such. However, as good a place as any to start IMO would be the iconic "Beano" album featuring Eric Clapton with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. Other artists to check out would be :

Lightnin' Hopkins : Robert Johnson : Elmore James : Sonny Boy Williamson : Muddy Waters : Albert King : BB King : Freddy King : Buddy Guy : Peter Greene : Mike Bloomfield : Paul Butterfield : Taj Mahal : Ten Years After : Stevie Ray Vaughan : Canned Heat : Roomful of Blues : Gary Moore : Alexis Korner : John Lee Hooker and last but by no means least, our own late great Rory Gallagher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Powerplate

Love good tone. Live widdly widdly guitar licks, I could listen to them all day.

If by widdly widdly, you like fast blues guitar playing, I'd recommend you check out the following:

Johnny Winter
    Joe Bonamassa
    Robben Ford
    Walter Trout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Andy Timmons. I prefer his solo albums, but his Pawn Kings stuff is pretty bluesy. Great tone too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Powerplate

Richie Kotzen released a fantastic blues album a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Stevie Ray is definitely one of my all time favourite blues guitarists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Most of his music is not really blues, but when he plays blues he does it well. Might be an easily accessible listen for a noob :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 franamico

Hey,
    I recently found a method called "Playing Through The Blues" that teaches you step by step how to play blues licks effectively while developing your own sound...you might want to check it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Leadbelly.
    Booker T Washington White or Bukka White to the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

Did you ever listen to The Blues Train on Dublin City F.M. its on Sunday nights from 10pm to 12 www.dublincityfm.ie they play all kinds of Blues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement