Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

orthotics for fallen arches

Options
  • 16-03-2010 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have had severe pain in my ankles/feet/shin area and right up legs for years. The doc now says I have flat feet, which I understand is the same as fallen arches. I am getting an orthotic to wear in my shoes. Has anyone had this? Does it help pain. Want to get off painkillers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

My daughter, 4 years old, has flexible flat feet and has started seeing a physio in the past nine months after a referral from an ortho surgeon. My daughter has to wear orthotic insoles to help correct this. She wears the insoles all day and they can be worn in pretty much all of her shoes.
    The physio recommends shoes that are quite sturdy so she wears sturdy runners or docs most of the time.
    She has just been fitted with new insoles last friday and these are a lot more rigid than the first ones. It took her a day or so to get used to the new feel of the insoles but now she is having no trouble with them at all. Her physio is excellant and made sure they were a perfect fit for her before we left his office. I think once they are fitted correctly they shouldnt "hurt".
    My daughter is certainly falling less since she has begun to wear her insoles and hasnt complained much at all about any pain in her feet, ankles or legs.
    I hope this info helps, if you need to know anything more dont hesitate to let me know. Best of Luck!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I have alright feet, but my physio prescribed orthotics for me, best things I ever bought, I have found that my posture and my back have been much better. Wasn't wearing them for a few weeks, and I noticed the difference. I know a few people who wear them as well for fallen arches and it helps quite a lot.

As ellieh said, they can go into any shoe, the ones that I have I actually have to take out the upper of the shoe so that they fit comfortably, my mother has other ones that she can just put in without altering the shoe

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

I have fallen arches and wear orthotics. Had them for about 15 years. If I don't wear them for a while I get the worst knee pain imaginable, they get all inflammed and it's unbearable, so it definitely makes a huge difference. The ones I've got were custom made though, not just off the shelf, so make sure you have them made, not cheap, but definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

What's the difference from Flexible Flat Floot and Non Flexible?

I'm just wondering as my left foot is rolled inwards while my right foot is ok..as far as i remember from age 11 or 12 my left foot was similar to what it is now causing slight pain through certain movements and not as much flexibitly as my right foot.

Is this just a flat foot? Flexible or non flexible?

and what kind of treatment would be reckoned best..physio?

Advertisement