Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Laws still active

• 16-03-2010 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

25. It is illegal for a cab in the City of London to carry rabid dogs or corpses.

24. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.

23. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside down.

22. In France, it is forbidden to call a pig Napoleon.

21. Under the UK’s Tax Avoidance Schemes Regulations 2006, it is illegal not to tell the taxman anything you don’t want him to know, though you don’t have to tell him anything you don’t mind him knowing.

20. In Alabama, it is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle.

19. In Ohio, it is against state law to get a fish drunk.

18. Royal Navy ships that enter the Port of London must provide a barrel of rum to the Constable of the Tower of London.

17. In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants – even, if she so requests, in a policeman’s helmet.

16. In Lancashire, no person is permitted after being asked to stop by a constable on the seashore to incite a dog to bark.

15. In Miami, Florida, it is illegal to skateboard in a police station.

14. In Indonesia, the penalty for masturbation is decapitation.

13. In England, all men over the age of 14 must carry out two hours of longbow practice a day.

12. In London, Freemen are allowed to take a flock of sheep across London Bridge without being charged a toll; they are also allowed to drive geese down Cheapside.

11. In San Salvador, drunk drivers can be punished by death before a firing squad.

10. In the UK, a man who feels compelled to urinate in public can do so only if he aims for his rear wheel and keeps his right hand on his vehicle.

9. In Florida, unmarried women who parachute on Sundays can be jailed.

8. In Kentucky, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon more than six-feet long.

7. In Chester, Welshmen are banned from entering the city before sunrise and from staying after sunset.

6. In the city of York, it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow.

5. In Boulder, Colorado, it is illegal to kill a bird within the city limits and also to “own” a pet – the town’s citizens, legally speaking, are merely “pet minders”.

4. In Vermont, women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.

3. In London, it is illegal to flag down a taxi if you have the plague.

2. In Bahrain, a male doctor may legally examine a woman’s genitals but is forbidden from looking directly at them during the examination; he may only see their reflection in a mirror.

1. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast is legally the property of the King; the tail, on the other hand, belongs to the Queen - in case she needs the bones for her corset.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle2251280.ece

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

13. In England, all men over the age of 14 must carry out two hours of knife stabbing practice a day.

That one's been updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Pot wrote:
    Strange Laws still active

My in-laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

it's illegal to start crap threads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I remember hearing about mad law in Trinity alright that students can demand a glass of wine at any time during an exam, provided they are wearing their sword. And that you can shoot a Catholic priest from the Campanile on a Sunday with a bow and arrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

El Siglo wrote: »
    I remember hearing about mad law in Trinity alright that students can demand a glass of wine at any time during an exam, provided they are wearing their sword. And that you can shoot a Catholic priest from the Campanile on a Sunday with a bow and arrow.

There's one in UCD I heard about that says it's legal to kill someone outside a nightclub by stamping on their head as long as your Dad is a judge and you can flee the country afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

The laws of physics are still ****ing here!

They don't apply to me though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Pot wrote:
    8. In Kentucky, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon more than six-feet long.

[AH humour] hee hee hee[AH humour]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    There's one in UCD I heard about that says it's legal to kill someone outside a nightclub by stamping on their head as long as your Dad is a judge and you can flee the country afterwards.

If your dad is a Judge you can do anything you wish.

Going further, if you are a judge you can have potential convictions for certain material quashed without problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

El Siglo wrote: »

As I heard it, it's a glass of port not wine. and you must leave your sword at the door. I think someone tried this but again the rumor mill isn't trustworthy

in fact as trinity college was established before the Irish free state became republic of Ireland they're laws predate and over rule our laws. I don't think they're enforced though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

In Ireland any member of the Catholic Clergy may ignore civil law if another more senior member of the church is aware of the crime. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

it's illegal to start crap threads

apparently its still legal to be a wanker

smegmar wrote: »
    As I heard it, it's a glass of port not wine. and you must leave your sword at the door. I think someone tried this but again the rumor mill isn't trustworthy

in fact as trinity college was established before the Irish free state became republic of Ireland they're laws predate and over rule our laws. I don't think they're enforced though

Close enough!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

WTF kind of CONSEALED weapon is six feet long?

thank god for that. can you imagine the prisons if it were illegal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Fago! wrote: »

;)

A lot of things could be said about this...
    But I suppose this...
    It's disguised as a train with soldiers standing on it...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Mandingo's todger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Chuck Norris in high heels and a Burkah.

it's illegal to fart in an elevator is china. the penalty is death by firing squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Apparently it's still legal to consume some liver-raping, mind-fucking narcotic called alcohol. :confused:

• Advertisement

Banned for Trolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Banned for Trolling

fraid not :(

alas only a warning. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    Apparently it's still legal to consume some liver-raping, mind-fucking narcotic called alcohol. :confused:

Thank f*ck for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

GaNjaHaN wrote: »

...... brought to you by the vintners federation of Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Pot wrote:
    11. In San Salvador, drunk drivers can be punished by death before a firing squad.

what strange about that one?
    Sounds like a proper deterrent to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

In Ireland on the friday before the first Sunday after the first full moon occurring on or after 21 March it is illegal to serve alcoholic beverages in most business premises. Apparently this dates back to when a fictional character was killed in a book written 100's of years ago. I shit you not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Banned for Trolling

Don't do that again.

Advertisement