Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The red thread

• 16-03-2010 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I think it's Lady Pennyworth and a few others that have their hair dyed red so hopefully some of you can help

Finally dyed the hair and went for a bright red on the advice of people here. Originally it looked like this:

NaomiandEmily.jpg

As soon as I washed it torrents of red dye came out so now its starting to look kind of orangey and faded.

Any suggestions of dye's to put in, coloured conditioners etc.

I'm useless at dying my hair myself too so if there's one's that are easier that give the same vibrancy please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭odonopenmic

Back in the day I had my hair pillarbox red but as I have dark colouring, my hair was bleached before the red dye was put in and I guess there wasn't much pigment for it to hang onto. Same thing, couldn't go out in a rain shower for the red dye coming out! :eek:

I just grinned and beared it for a while - to keep the red vibrant, I'd say I'd dye my hair every 6-8 washes. Was a pain in the @ss. I got pretty good at dying my own hair though :) At the time, the only place I could find very red dye was in Asha in Stephen's Green but I understand that you can even buy those colours from Boots now.

I'd love to hear what other people have to say (if anyone can give any tips I think I'd go the way of the red head again!) but what I found was that if you're going to go very dramatic with the colour, you're going to have to learn to do all the dying etc. at home to keep it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I got my hair done lovely before Christmas, a bit like Emily's in the picture above. Went away for a romantic weekend the next day, you would have sworn there was a massacre in the room; when I would dry hair hair on the towels after I washed it, the amount of red dye that came off was ridiculous!! I was mortified as there was nothing I could do!

Before I got it stripped before christmas, I always used the Boots organics colours, found them great (semi-permanants). Didn't but the expensive ones but found the Boots ones great. But would have to dye at every month /5 weeks to have an effect. Keeping it vibrant tho was a nightmare, like I said, I used to see it running down the drain :( Would give my hair a quick rinse with the cold water after I rinsed it with hot, somehow that managed to keep the glossy look, but don't worry I feel your pain.

Ironically, Noami's hair above right, is roughly the colour I would love to try :) Apt with hairdresser later today for a patch test and a consultation..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Ive gotten nothing but compliments since I got it done so I'll try stick with it for the time being.

I'll take a look in boots (as soon as my millionth lost boosts card is returned to me)

Might try terrisales too. They can be good for this sort of stuff. I used to have the bleached streakes with bright red put over them and would have to redye them every 4 weeks or so... the bathroom still shows the stains so I dont think the maternal one will be too happy about me starting up again.

If I suddenly stop posting...send out a search party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Ooh, I had red hair once upon a time. Was a nightmare with the washing out. I was dying my hair every two or three weeks and I found I couldn't get a shine anymore so I went back dark. I say just throw any red dye in, it'd be grand! I tended to pick up whatever was on special offer in Boots tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

Hi,

I have naturally dark brown hair but started dying my hair bright chilli red almost a year ago. I first went to the hairdressers who bleached my hair before doing the all over red. I go back now once every 6 weeks or so to get my roots done but dye it myself in between.

Stick with it girl!!! I have never gotten so many complients about my hair since dying it red. Strangers in the street often stop me and tell me my hair is amazing.
    The longer you have the dye in, the better it holds onto the colour. At first I was dying my hair every week almost cause it faded so much and looked so dull but now I dye it every 2-3 weeks.

I won't lie to you - It does still fade quite quickly but if you're willing to put the work in, I think it's worth it.

I use a dye called - Jeans colour Chilli red. It is a vegetable dye so it doesn't damage your hair!!

Keep the red - Dying it only takes an hour out of your day once every 2 weeks - no big deal!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement