Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metro 2033

• 16-03-2010 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

Out Friday I thinks

The launch trailer has me sold, HARD!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Long time fan of Stalker, so this is a no brainer for me. Cant wait. No doubt some arseholes will mark it down cause 'it doesnt have multiplayer and i cant put a bling perk on my home made shotgun wtf' etc, but this looks like a genuine sleeper hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Good game this, very atmospheric, great graphics. Quite tough in places. Only problem i can see so far is that the hit detection is a bit off sometimes (when enemies are far away mostly) but it's not enough to ruin the experience. The game is kind of similar to the Half Life and the Riddick games, and also a bit like Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth on the old Xbox.

I'd give it a solid 8/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Day one for me too, looks like a mix of Stalker and bit of Fallout. Hopefully the little glitches in this get patched up.

And it goes on to produce Metro 2034.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Nice use of the 28 Weeks Later theme.

Game looks brilliant and getting some really good reviews so far. Might check it out once the backlog of games to finish I have has died down. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Really looking forward to this. And also hoping I might pick it up somewhere for about €40 on friday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

i have the collectors edition pre ordered in game cant wait for this it looks class

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

i cant wait, as i said in the game section they have failed big time on the promotion side of things.

eurogamer gave it an 8/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/metro-2033-review

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Only problem i can see so far is that the hit detection is a bit off sometimes (when enemies are far away mostly) but it's not enough to ruin the experience.

Youre obviously far more forgiving then i am, the shooting in the game is woeful. Agreed on the atmosphere though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

There's a patch After being announced, to "teak the controls", probably sort out the probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

RAIN wrote: »
    There's a patch After being announced, to "teak the controls", probably sort out the probs.

Nah, it's just a new control scheme (for weapon selection) and to allow dlc at a later date

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Nice use of the 28 Weeks Later theme.

It's called "In the house in a heartbeat" by John Muprhy, and it's been used ad nausium in advertising/TV in the last few years. I'm sure Mr. Murphy aint complainin tho...

* It was also featured in the film's sequel: 28 Weeks Later (2007), in which it is used more extensively, including usage in a pre-opening titles confrontation sequence. In all, four different arrangements of the track are featured in the sequel and included on its soundtrack. (28 Theme, Don Abandons Alice, Walk to Regents Park and Leaving England)
    * The last episode of season one of British television program Hex.
    * Peugeot 206 Advert.[1]
    * I Know Who Killed Me trailer[2]
    * Death Sentence trailer
    * Beowulf trailer
    * Franklyn Trailer for the 2008 Film staring Ryan Phillippe,Eva Green and Sam Riley
    * UKTV Gold advertisements for the first season of Prison Break in 2006.
    * On the 16th of October, in a documentary/drama shown on ITV1, Britain's Largest Storm , the song is used near the end of the programme.
    * Several Hollyoaks episodes aired on Channel 4 in the UK.
    * The song was covered by progressive metal band Junesong Provision.
    * The song was also covered by pop rock band Elliot Minor.
    * Italian heavy metal Band Eldritch covered this song as their first track off their Livequake album
    * The Rotted also covered the song.
    * James May's Big Ideas, episode 1; used during the Harrier sequence.
    * Used in short sequences on BBC 1's Strictly Come Dancing and Strictly Come Dancing - It Takes Two.
    * Played while the meat is being shared around during the cannibal party scene in the film Doomsday
    * The track is also used in a trailer for an ITV4 programme called Emergency Heroes.
    * The track is also used in CSI:Miami, season six episode five titled "Deep Freeze".
    * The track was used in The Apprentice: The Final Five, as a backing track. Also "No More Films" was used as a backing track in this programme.
    * The track was used in the VT for Katie Price in I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! UK 2009.
    * The track is used in the cult YouTube short Ataque de Pánico! (Panic Attack!) directed by Fede Alvarez.
    * The track was used in the adverts for the 2009 RSC production of Hamlet on the BBC
    * An original pastiche of the track, created by composer Murray Gold, formed some of the incidental music of the Doctor Who episode "Doomsday".
    * The track was also used in EastEnders: The Greatest Cliffhangers.
    * The track was also used in a VT for Dancing on Ice.
    * The track was also used in one of the trailers for the game Metro 2033.

Game looks fantastic alright, will have it in 127 minutes :) Will deliver my appraisal then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Been looking foward to this for a long time. After the dissapointments of aliens v pred., battlefield 2 and god of war 3 i need a game to be good or im just going back to MAG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Im probably posting this way too late but just called smyths in Waterford and they are selling this early. There open for the next 45 minutes.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

dazftw wrote: »
    Im probably posting this way too late but just called smyths in Waterford and they are selling this early. There open for the next 45 minutes.

Smyths in Waterford are the absolute best for that, nowhere else comes close, probably the strongest argument for moving back :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

mayordenis wrote: »
    Smyths in Waterford are the absolute best for that, nowhere else comes close, probably the strongest argument for moving back :pac:

Yeah ive gotten the last few games there the night before :p

Metro is unreal btw

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Got it in Smyths in Waterford earlier tonight as well, it's such a good game. The atmosphere is great!

Game is dripping wet with athmosphere! Loving it so far, weapons are cool but don't pack much of a punch and some of the level design is a little old skool (outside sections)but honestly that's really nit picking of the highest order. Great game, the gas mask sections kinda freak me out, the noise is horrible.

Plus the story is nicely put together, got this and GOW3 this morning and I'm enjoying this more!

I picked it up today traded in MW2 got 29 euro for it in HMV !!! This was 45. Prob wont get a chence to play it untill monday though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

GOW3

:eek: Explain!

EDIT: Dammit, I thought you meant Gears 3 for a second!!

What kind of game is Metro 2033? Is it an RPG or shooter or wha? Looks absolutely brilliant. Have 50 blips to last me the week, but seriously considering going without food :D

:eek: Explain!

EDIT: Dammit, I thought you meant Gears 3 for a second!!

What kind of game is Metro 2033? Is it an RPG or shooter or wha? Looks absolutely brilliant. Have 50 blips to last me the week, but seriously considering going without food :D

Tis 45 in HMV get 5 euros worth of noodles to keep you going !!!

Seems to be more of a shooter at the moment but im sure more RPG elements will come into it later.

Enjoying it but the hit boxes are a bit hit and miss (pardon the pun)

• Advertisement

It's an immersive shooter but not an RPG, it's strongest parts are it's atmosphere and story. Once you become accustomed to the games quirkes it's very enjoyable. It's also very hardcore and unforgiving. It's got some stealth sections in it that are tuff to pass, I'd say rent it before buying if your unsure or you could end up dissapointed by the difficulty.

Reviews are split, some folks gave it high 8/10 while others gave 6/10. I think the eurogamer review is the closest to how I feel about it.

It's an immersive shooter but not an RPG, it's strongest parts are it's atmosphere and story. Once you become accustomed to the games quirkes it's very enjoyable. It's also very hardcore and unforgiving. It's got some stealth sections in it that are tuff to pass, I'd say rent it before buying if your unsure or you could end up dissapointed by the difficulty.

Reviews are split, some folks gave it high 8/10 while others gave 6/10. I think the eurogamer review is the closest to how I feel about it.

The stealth is hard i just passed the bit where you drop in out of the air vent not too far in but it took me ages to get past.

I enjoy it but its harder to forgive the faults because its a shooter unlike Fallout where you can let some stuff slide because its such a large game.

Still an 80% + game and worth a bash if you are looking for something new.

PS TWHR : I found my dog !!!

Yeah its defintiely an FPS and not an RPG. Having said that it is the msot atmosperic and immersive FPS on the xbox, imo, and a really refreshing change from all the other modern combat "oh good im killing towelheads in the desert" crap that floating around nowadays.

The stealth is hard i just passed the bit where you drop in out of the air vent not too far in but it took me ages to get past.

I enjoy it but its harder to forgive the faults because its a shooter unlike Fallout where you can let some stuff slide because its such a large game.

Still an 80% + game and worth a bash if you are looking for something new.

PS TWHR : I found my dog !!!

Delighted to hear it!! My dog was sick during the winter and I thought I was gna die if she did, little feckers.

That bit your talking about had me stuck for awhile too but I found when I chilled out and took my time I got past it. Modern games have you constantly pushing forward, this game has sections where thats not a good idea...unless you like watching the load screen.

There's another stealth section a little later on and its mega tuff but very satisfying when you get past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Really want to play this game, but the local xtra-vision only have it for sale and won't be getting it in for rental :(

Just checked Live, appears to be no demo for it either :(

I would prefer to try before I buy with this one :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭buzzymcg

This game is pure pants played it on the hardest level finished it & traded it in. If your thinking of getting this rent it out first. Only good thing about it is it's trade in value. Splinter cell conviction is awesome though (Hurrah for modded 360's)

buzzymcg wrote: »
    This game is pure pants played it on the hardest level finished it & traded it in. If your thinking of getting this rent it out first. Only good thing about it is it's trade in value. Splinter cell conviction is awesome though (Hurrah for modded 360's)

Thank you for your highly informed opinion there. I shall duly trade in everything i own purely because you say its pants and get an awesome new copy of SPLINTER CELL GENERIC™ WARFARE

buzzymcg wrote: »

So basically you are saying dont buy Metro 2033, steal the 5 hour long splinter cell instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭buzzymcg

Hey if this does it for you then great but a let down for me. At least toy soldiers cheered me up after playing this!

• Advertisement
Advertisement