Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

money back on unused wine?

Options
  • 16-03-2010 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wondeing has anyone ever returned unopened bottles of wine or spirits to sainsbury's in newry? we had a shindig the weekend and have about 10 bottles of wine and a few bottles of spirits unopened at home. I still have the receipt and they where only bought on friday?
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Couldn't have been much of a shindig if all of the bottles weren't emptied. If they don't take them back, you can always drown your sorrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I dont think that they are obliged to take them back as there is nothing faulty about the goods.
    We had a confirmation recentlt and ended up with a good few bottles left over as several people brought wine. I didnt even think of bringing them back - we will use them over time.
    You could try bringing them back and they may noblige. Alcohol lasts quite a while and you surely will find some uses for it, either as a gift when you are visiting people or have at home.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Legally they can tell you to go away,
    You trying to return wine because it is unused is equal to trying to return a packet of biscuits because you didn't open them...hilarious really.

Anyway if your really nice to them and perhaps if your buying other items in the store they "might" taken them back but I really doubt it, there's no law in the UK or Ireland or for that matter Europe (afaik) that means they have to take back unused items like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

No obligation as mentioned. My local supervalu have some sort of scheme where they do it but its all arranged and confirmed in advance, you have to buy over a certain amount. We used to swop bottles in the local offie which was not a chain, we were dealing direct with the owner or manager who had the power to make such decisions. e.g. we would win a bottle of whiskey in a pub and swop if for cans, maybe get £20 worth of cans for a bottle worth £24, we shopped there all the time so knew them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They have no obligation to take them back as there is nothing wrong with them.

If you want the money back, perhaps you can sell them to family, friends or colleagues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You should ring the store first, and ask. They either will or won't, but at least you won't waste a trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Returning any food products could leave it wide open to abuse and tampering.

Place a €100 bet on Cheltinham, if you win celebrate, if you loose drown your sorrows. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

We had a local wine merchant who was very good at doing this if pre-arranged.

Sainsbury's have a 28 day refund policy on groceries, with the following exceptions
    it is not possible to return baby food and milk, or frozen or perishable food and drink unless they are of poor quality or faulty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

An off licence i used to work for would swap unopened bottles for something else minus a 10% fee. Might be worth asking around.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I'd hardly drive to my local Dunnes to return 10 bottles , let alone Newry.

parsi wrote: »
    I'd hardly drive to my local Dunnes to return 10 bottles , let alone Newry.

Suppose it depends on how close to Newry he lives and how expensive the wine was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I live in duleek. If they are white and not stong in alchol I will buy them from you if the price is right...

PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

dudara wrote: »
    They have no obligation to take them back as there is nothing wrong with them.

If you want the money back, perhaps you can sell them to family, friends or colleagues.

The poster never asked if there was an obligation on the supermarket to take the goods back. He merely asked if they would take the wine back.

It never ceases to amaze me how many times an innocent question like this is asked by a poster only to be received with a flood of often condensing replies stating that there is no obligation for a shop to do this, and no obligation for a shop to do that. Once again, the poster merely asked would the shop take the wine back.

If the poster still has a receipt then the answer is probably 'yes'. Just the same way Dunnes, Penneys, Zara, Topman and thousands more shops all over Ireland will refund you your money within 28 days, even if you only change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Bit of a waste of everyone's time here so. All he/she had to do was ring Sainsburys and ask.

Bit of a waste of everyone's time here so. All he/she had to do was ring Sainsburys and ask.

Why bother posting then if it's such a waste of time :confused:

Advertisement