Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux - Which version?

• 16-03-2010 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭

Looking to run a Linux version in VirtualBox on a W2k host, to enable use of WBFS, as this needs NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and W2K does handle it.

Which version of Linux would be best and least hassle?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Easiest distros to install and use would probably be Mint or Ubuntu.

Mint is probably a little easier on the eye as well IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

ubuntu is a good distro to begin with, plenty of hardware support, good pre-installed software and the ability to use any debian package. not at all bad for windows users at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I'd go for Ubuntu as well

Right, I'll try out Ubuntu.

Is VirtualBox the way to go or could I run Ubuntu from a live CD and do the same thing regarding WBFS and NET Framework 3.5 SP1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Hang on, you're installing Linux to use WBFS Manager, a Windows application? Furthermore, you plan to install .NET on Linux? (this is certainly not going to happen).

If I'm completely misguided here, then yes, VirtualBox is a good way to go.

There are a couple of WBFS tools that run on Linux that I have seen, so maybe I won't need NET Framework installed. I'll have to see.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php?title=WBFS_Managers

Edit: Although there is also this one... http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=148613 which I'll try and if it works I won't need to do the VirtualBox stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

snappieT wrote: »
    Hang on, you're installing Linux to use WBFS Manager, a Windows application? Furthermore, you plan to install .NET on Linux? (this is certainly not going to happen).

No, he wants to use WBFS, which linux supports, but Win2k does not. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

kleefarr wrote: »
    Looking to run a Linux version in VirtualBox on a W2k host, to enable use of WBFS, as this needs NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and W2K does handle it.

Which version of Linux would be best and least hassle?

the latest version?

To answer the question really wanted to ask, the distro that you want is ubuntu, running on Wubi. This appears to be supported on w2k, but I don't know about the WBFS requirements.

Looks good so far..

WBFS-Gui

Have downloaded it and it looks like it'll do the job. Will check it out tomorrow. :)

• Advertisement

Well that WBFS GUI works a treat. :D

No need for Linux and VirtualBox now. :)

Advertisement