Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Meath Triangle

Options
  • 16-03-2010 1:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

No need to go to Bermuda to see things disappear.

The 'knowledge economy' disappears swiftly down a Smart Green plughole less than 20 miles from Kildare Street This long article in the Independent is a salutory reminder of what happens when your only choice is a crap wireless service and most likely the Notorious Ice Broadband in this case God help them :(

Be very kind to your local wireless broadband service when you know that they know what they are doing. The alternative is often a complete economic oblivion for you and your community!!!

http://www.independent.ie/farming/news-features/cut-off-and-forgotten-about-2092322.html

Cut off and forgotten about
    Tuesday March 09 2010

I live within 25km of the centre of Dublin and 3km from the M4 motorway, yet when I recently asked an eircom employee why broadband was still unavailable in my locality he replied: "What do you expect when you live in the middle of nowhere?"

and

It would be nice to know what our Minister for Communications, Eamon Ryan TD, thinks.

He does not think is the fairest answer I could give. Thought is not green or smart. Soundbites and Waffle are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Are they having a laugh?! How can eircom charge someone for removing an object that's blocking a farm entrance?

I'm not sure on the legalities of this but I would give eircom a month's notice informing them that the pole would be dislodged or removed as needed after this date. The legislation giving eircom rights of way is pretty strong however, so perhaps that's why eircom are allowed to block people's entrances at will.

As for "living in the middle of nowhere", there's threads on this website about issues in Drogheda, which I live near. Thousands of people, who certainly do not live in the middle of nowhere, struggle to get more than 1-3 mbps connections because eircom never bothered their arses until recently to provide more exchanges. It was crazy to expect that one exchange in a town of over 30,000 people would be able to cover massive estates being built 3 miles away from the exchange. I wonder what that eircom technician makes of those sorts of infrastructural deficits...

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

Two grand to replace a pole? Ridiculous!

And Eircom wonder why customers are leaving them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

trekkypj wrote: »
    Two grand to replace a pole? Ridiculous!

Tractors are wonderful for that kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

bealtine wrote: »
    Tractors are wonderful for that kind of thing

Heh never mind a tractor - a chainsaw! I mean with all the ivy on the poles, how's a guy to know that the tree he cut up was a telephone pole? :)

Seriously though, this is the sort of bull that stymies rural development. I wonder if the person who received this amazing offer would have a case for taking legal action against Eircom for abusing their market position? Or possibly behaving in a tortious manner which puts an unreasonable constraint on the use and enjoyment of the owner's property?

Must be worth a look with a good barrister? As a test case, of course. I know I'd contribute €5 or so to the fighting fund...

Advertisement