Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Hill Climb? Cruagh - March 30th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Lumen wrote: »
    Perhaps it's worth going a bit harder on the first half, where you're not fighting the wind, then just hanging on into the wind as it flattens out. Average power would be lower, but overall time probably better.
    Even disregarding the wind you generally get a better time from pushing it on steeper inclines as there is less air resistance (which increases as the square of velocity.) This would apply even on a completely still day. The problem here as you recognise is that the steep bit is right at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Originally Posted by DirkVoodoo viewpost.gif
    I'm not sure was it Tom who said it, but you are definitely the cycling equivalent of Ivan Drago.

Yeah, apart from the doping!

Drago "He's not human. He's like a piece of iron. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,112 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

19:27 @ 281W for me this morning with a bit of a tailwind.

Lap 1: 5:04, 294W, HR 159bpm (170bpm for 95% of it).
    Lap 2: 5:09, 279W, HR 172bpm
    Lap 3: 5:00, 274W, HR 174bpm
    Lap 4: 4:14, 277W, HR 179bpm

Graph.

Went a bit harder early on then faded, but overall felt better paced than last time - putting the power down on the steeper early sections where gains are more proportional.

It took 52s (4%) less time but 15kJ (4%) less effort than my last attempt, which shows the effect of the wind (head last time, tail this time) and to a lesser degree the pacing strategy.

I think this proves that times are definitely not comparable between days due to conditions.

For Tuesday we could really use a marshall at the viewing point to allow people to safely take a wide line. I had to brake for that corner and it was early so not much traffic. If we don't have a volunteer I don't mind going up a few minutes before then heading back down to marshall.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,114 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

For Tuesday we could really use a marshall at the viewing point to allow people to safely take a wide line. I had to brake for that corner and it was early so not much traffic. If we don't have a volunteer I don't mind going up a few minutes before then heading back down to marshall.
    I'm still on for timing or marshalling - if we still have 2 others it should be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm still on for timing or marshalling - if we still have 2 others it should be fine

I might have to do this instead, I seem to have developed a cold after last night and don't think I would have the energy to try and match Lumen.

I knew I shouldn't have posted a time :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Forecast for Tues evening is very poor. Freezing and rain.
    Depending on he weather I may or may not turn up. Someone else can have the lanterne rouge.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I might have to do this instead, I seem to have developed a cold after last night and don't think I would have the energy to try and match Lumen.

Ah, come on now. You can't back out now. If it makes a difference I'll even go full retard.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,114 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

Any wimping out should require medical evidence - I'll bring my X-rays, Dirk what do you have? A snotty tissue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Ahhh peer pressure, wonderful stuff! don't forget ROK_ON there and his it might be a bit wet! :)

Just checked the weather forcast for tuesday and it says snow is due !!

Snow and a snotty nose ! im still in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Any wimping out should require medical evidence - I'll bring my X-rays, Dirk what do you have? A snotty tissue?

Two snotty tissues and my Zoolander "black lung" impression. Sorted.

A bit of rain to cool you down, and a nice northerly tailwind to push you along - what more could you ask for:)

I'm out, tonsillitis. Probably two weeks off the bike (last time I ignored medical advice on this I was almost hospitalised, so HTFU won't cut it). Feck.

I'm out, tonsillitis. Probably two weeks off the bike (last time I ignored medical advice on this I was almost hospitalised, so HTFU won't cut it). Feck.
    Sorry to hear that Lumen - hopefully you will get over it quickly

Where are we up to on timekeepers/marshal on this. Based on Lumen's post yesterday, we ideally need 2 timekeepers and 1 marshal. I am happy to take one of these roles on. There were a couple of others who put their hands up earlier in the thread - are you still available? If not do some of the other "sickies" want to get involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

if I turn up I will help marshalling - Took a fall last friday and my bike requires some work so I might be on the old bike with standard double which might not be great for a hill TT knowing I am such a loser when it comes to climbing in general. If it rains however I might just go to yoga class ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

As odd as it sounds, if that "snow" materialises, I'm not driving the bike up the mountains. I'll volunteer to time-keep marshal if that is any use still though (bearing the obvious statement above).

nereid wrote: »
    As odd as it sounds, if that "snow" materialises, I'm not driving the bike up the mountains. I'll volunteer to time-keep marshal if that is any use still though (bearing the obvious statement above).
    Thanks

I suspect that if it's that bad we will have to postpone it. However I have a 4x4 anyway, so if a bike can get up, hopefully I can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I suspect that if it's that bad we will have to postpone it. However I have a 4x4 anyway, so if a bike can get up, hopefully I can!

Indeed and sure worst case, all those energetic cyclists can help push you out of the ditch :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm out. Good luck to those taking part. Remember to post results up immediately, and we only want to hear from the winner. No one wants to read paragraphs about people who tried but ultimately failed.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    I'm out. Good luck to those taking part. Remember to post results up immediately, and we only want to hear from the winner. No one wants to read paragraphs about people who tried but ultimately failed.
    I'll post Ryan's victory speech from the finishing line:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Also out, on antibiotics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Is there anyone still doing this?

maybe we should re-schedule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I am recovering from a cold so I'm out.
    met.ie wrote:
    Tomorrow Tuesday will be bitterly cold and mostly overcast again. Rain will be heavy and quite continuous across Ulster and Leinster, with a risk of snow falls inland - and especially over high ground. ... Highest temperatures 1 to 5 degrees.
    3 degrees, heavy rain and 42km/h wind indicated for around Dublin. With the windchill -4C. Colder up the hills. Maybe rescheduling would be a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I'd still do it tomorrow if a quorum agrees, but, for the sake of a decent turnout I think we should reschedule. Not much point in doing it if there's only a couple of riders.

Do we want to just wait a few days for the weather to clear a bit? Or give it a bit longer to let the sickies heal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

It'd suit me to leave it a week (or so) - I ventured into the hills for the first time this year on Saturday and rode the proposed tt route - it nearly killed me despite telling myself not to go too hard. I need more training! (lots!)

Hope weather doesnt hit to bad, but if does why not push it till thursday that way its a good warm up for the league starting on the following thursday, also good chance to get to know faces before the club league starts

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I was away for the weekend so not been online.

Weather looks, ehh, not so nice. High winds, cold temperatures and snow - not usually what I want when I do a maximal effort. I have a person to do time keeping (at the top - he can drive up clothes etc... too) but I don't know if it should go ahead. Maybe put back a week or two? What do people think - I have seen that lots are already opting out.

I race and train in almost any conditions - and I'll still be training outside tomorrow but just with conditions like that, and a bunch of people hanging around before and after - I think it is best to delay a week or two...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I think it is best to delay a week or two...

Here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

RTE traffic news just reported 3 inches of snow in the Glencree area! 700c snow chains anyone?!

Advertisement