Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Hill Climb? Cruagh - March 30th

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Beasty wrote: »
    Forecast is for winds of 15-25kph (as opposed to 40-50kph today), and it may well swing round to the NW, which will make it a tail-wind

Damn.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,114 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

el tonto wrote: »
    Damn.
    The larger your "profile" the more of a push it can give you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Wind is *everything*. Had a go the other day, with a small tailwind for the final section, 20' 12", very pleased. Then tried it yesterday evening, into the teeth of a howling gale, could barely turn the cranks at 39x23 and was mostly concentrating on not being blown into the ditch. 26' 45". Over six minutes of cocking difference!

I saw lads making it up to the forested bit just after the viewpoint, and then just turning back because it was so ridiculous.

Can't make it this evening unfortunately, hope it goes well. It's due to clear up a bit during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I am out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

No way in hell will I be there! Good luck to anyone taking part.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'll do it. In an indication of what my expected time is, I brought lights in with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Hey guys - sorry I have been quiet for the last few days, racing down in Kerry kept me busy (and off the web).

I won't (or more, shouldn't) be taking part this evening. 4 days of racing and some big races coming up means I need to take it easy today and tomorrow. I may tootle around to watch you guys off though.

Pity about the weather too - last year we had great luck, this year, ehh, less so.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,114 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

With Raam, blorg and Ryan all out, this is your chance for glory guys:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Beasty wrote: »
    With Raam, blorg and Ryan all out, this is your chance for glory guys:)
    I reckon that to keep things fair we should apply a weight handicap based on 70km avg.

+1min per kilo under and -1min per kilo over.

(I sort of enjoyed Easter a bit).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I have a better idea Rok ON.
    I will just use my descending time instead of my climbing time ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Hey guys - sorry I have been quiet for the last few days, racing down in Kerry kept me busy (and off the web).
    Well done on the sixth in the GC Ryan; we saw you on the TV taking second on day two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I got drenched today, not looking forward to going out in it again later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Best not to count me in for certain, I might not be able to make it ontime after work. If you dont see me ... I am terribly sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Hope to make it out.

Main aim....not to require oxygen/defibrilator at the top.

Is the starting point Edmondstown road under the M50 overpass?

jimm wrote: »
    Is the starting point Edmondstown road under the M50 overpass?

No, carry on up the road a bit further, past the pub until you hit a downhill stretch. The start is where it starts going back up again.

So, this is still DEFINITELY on so? I'm fast losing the will to leave the house again, where the hell is the good weather??

Yep, folks are still going out. If it's any consolation, I'll be putting on soggy shorts to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

weather looks like it will get better this afternoon - I wont be riding it but I'll be over to see some of you off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

el tonto wrote: »
    Yep, folks are still going out. If it's any consolation, I'll be putting on soggy shorts to go.

hope its not them see through ones you had on on saturday ?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    So, this is still DEFINITELY on so? I'm fast losing the will to leave the house again, where the hell is the good weather??

I live beside the hill and the weather looks perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

bah got stuck in work, still there :/ won't be able to make it out....

Result - 10 took part. Winner Madrichie. 2nd Niceonetom. 3rd Diarmuid. Full result to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ten speed racer

Well done to everyone taking part. I must see if I can make the next one of these...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Good crack, thanks again Beasty! Stuffing mars attacks and tea down my gob now. Disappointed with my time.

"Is lazy, can do better"

Yup, good fun, thanks to Beasty for doing the time keeping. Good turnout, happy enough with my time, but my time home from Pineforest road was even MORE impressive, I would like to be marked on this, in which I obviously came first.

EDIT: I was racing against failing light and trying to get home for the match, which might I add has been awesome so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

that was good fun. Happy enough with my pacing but as usual dropped a bit in the middle. Lads did some very good time. I did 19:10 and this was what my best 19:10 looked like. 278W average. The gradient really falls off at the top which didn't really favour me
    110002.jpeg

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Good turnout, happy enough with my time, but my time home from Pineforest road was even MORE impressive,
    yeah I know how your feel Dirk. There was a gale force wind blowing when I hit the top, and next time I'll leave the mudguards, panniers and trailer at home ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,112 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

So did Tom and Richie crack 19 minutes? Detailed results please!!!

</bob>

oh sh1t I just forgot about the SSB rule. Ignore those last few posts!!

EDIT:Thanks Beasty!

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    So did Tom and Richie crack 19 minutes? Detailed results please!!!

</bob>
    yes. Not sure of the exact times but it was something like 18:10 and 18:25

Advertisement