Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

INDIEPENDENCE 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Chewabacca wrote: »
    Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone here's been to Indiependence. It's in cork over the August bank holiday weekend. I had never heard of it until today and at €80 for a camping ticket is sounds like you can't go wrong. Although most of the lineup isn't really my thing theres a few bands who'd be good to see and if there's a good vibe in the campsite I'd really consider going.

Thanks in advance.

Dude, seriously you should go, last year was brilliant in the arena AND the campsite. There were bands i saw last year who i'd never heard of who just blew me away...Everybody really friendly and just a great vibe there..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mmmbop

Hey I was wondering does anyone know the best way to get to this from Dublin. Won't be driving so it will either be bus or train. The bus takes a lot longer so does anyone know if there are connecting buses that go from Cork train station to Mitchelstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Curve Music

Not really sure about connecting buses but the bus station in Cork is a 5 minute walk from the train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mmmbop

Ah cool, I'll look into that then thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭glanman

best off get the aircoach i reckon. train will take 3 hours and then bus down another hour ish all in all.

• Advertisement

mmmbop wrote: »
    Hey I was wondering does anyone know the best way to get to this from Dublin. Won't be driving so it will either be bus or train. The bus takes a lot longer so does anyone know if there are connecting buses that go from Cork train station to Mitchelstown?

You can get a bus from busarus to Mitchelstown with no changes...3hrs and 35min....Not too bad...

http://194.106.151.94/jplan/bin/query.exe/en?seqnr=1&ident=nu.07184187.1273708632&OK#focus

(Link is journey planner)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭flynnduism

Yeah as someone who lived near Mitchelstown and travelled up and down to Dublin a bit, it's much easier to get to via Bus.

Aircoach and Bus Eireann both stop in the town en route to Cork, about 3 to 3.5 hours travel time. A car would get you there in about 2.5 hours.

The nearest train station is Limerick Junction, about 20 - 30 mins outside of Mitchelstown, but you'd need a car to get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I'd say Mallow train station would be nearer to Mitchelstown than Limerick Junction (and easier to get a taxi from cos Limerick junction is in the arséhole of no-where)

It's about 20miles away, but if there were a few of you to share a taxi, it wouldn't cost that much!!

Roll on Indiependence!!!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 batman007

Hey, hoping to head to some irish festivals this summer but have a limited budget as i'm going to sziget as well so just wondering if there are any volunteer positions still available??
    I looked up electric picnic and it said they'd be reopening at the end of june, would there be any possibilty of getting a place?
    And i cant seem to find anything as regards indiependence or castle palooza and sea sessions is full up.
    Any information would be much appreciated, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I'm so painfully tempted to go, but I don't think I can afford to take the time off work. The line-up looks pretty dam good.

• Advertisement

Won't be long now. Some more acts added recently.

Silent Disco also added which should be cool.

Silent disco you say?? Nice one, can't wait to make a complete tool of myself at it!!

:D:D:D

For the more sporty amongst you going to INDIEPENDENCE, we have a 5 a side competition running where the winners will nab themselves a slab of beer.

If you're interested, send your entries to 5aside@curvemusicmanagement.ie

Join us on Facebook now for the chance to win two weekend passes.

Not long to go now yeehaw:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 uniquestar

just returned from 5 years in England and my what an amount of festivals there are here this year!!

Can anyone tell me ahout Adibisi Shank and Codes?? I have listened to them both on myspace recently and while very different, both exceptional bands.

Villagers are another who seem to have crossed the water? I joined this site years ago and never really got around to using it so must make more effort to check in!!

Cameron

Cameron, not sure what you're looking to know about both bands but both bring brilliant live. Have a look at And So I Watch You From Afar also. Another great live band who will be tearing it up at INDIEPENDENCE.

And so i watch you from afar-The voiceless is class...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 uniquestar

Howdy Curve! Thanks for that, I am just back from Oxegen myself. in my early 30's now so can't cope with the camping. I caught half of Codes set tonight in the Academy tent i think, hugely impressive and massive crowd for them. Saw Villagers also (joys of living so close to the festival) and managed to catch some of Sterephonics set, a band way past their sell by date Imo!!

Moreso just wondering about how long they were going etc, but have been briefed now and i think i recognise a song of Codes from english radio.

Seems i have come back to hear Irish bands at the right time, will listen out for And So I watch you for sure

Thanks lads/lassies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

anyone know what the attendance normally is? 10,000? more? less?

• Advertisement

Hey mystic, it was around 4k on the Saturday last year so would expect the same amount or more this year

cool, thanks. how many of that 4,000 would you reckon camped there? just wondering what its like, I have camped at a certain other well known festival and I absolutely hated it... so I'm wondering what this is like for the conditions of the field and more importantly the people, if there will be lots of scumbags and people pissing on my tent etc and if there will be any chance of getting to sleep with noise etc...

mystic86 wrote: »
    cool, thanks. how many of that 4,000 would you reckon camped there? just wondering what its like, I have camped at a certain other well known festival and I absolutely hated it... so I'm wondering what this is like for the conditions of the field and more importantly the people, if there will be lots of scumbags and people pissing on my tent etc and if there will be any chance of getting to sleep with noise etc...

mystic we had absolutely none of that, though obviously I can't speak for everyone but feedback from the campsite last year was brilliant.

This year the campsite is literally a stone's throw from the main arena, we're completely housed onsite. Of that 4,000 last year I would say 500 camped. We probably expect a bit more than that to camp this year.

The site itself is extremely sure underfoot. It is grass but we wouldn't camp people in miserable conditions. We had a campsite sorted last year but due to the rain we didn't think it fair to let people camp there as it got wet so we ended up using the local GAA pitch.

nice one, this is definitely looking like I'm gonna go..... does it normally sell out much in advance? Like a week before or so? also, it says you can camp from friday evening but no music till sat afternoon, so just wondering do people usually set up there on the fri evening or wait till the sat morning... like would I need to go there and get a good spot on fri evening or end up somewhere crap if I only arrive on the sat? Cause that's a big issue in another festival I know of.

mystic86 wrote: »
    nice one, this is definitely looking like I'm gonna go..... does it normally sell out much in advance? Like a week before or so? also, it says you can camp from friday evening but no music till sat afternoon, so just wondering do people usually set up there on the fri evening or wait till the sat morning... like would I need to go there and get a good spot on fri evening or end up somewhere crap if I only arrive on the sat? Cause that's a big issue in another festival I know of.

We normally have tickets on sale on the day but tickets have sold well on line so I wouldn't leave it until last minute.

You can of course arrive Saturday morning but the field is a big square so there's no crap camping spots. Obviously people who get there Friday night get to pretty much choose where to camp in this field.

Just to say, I was at this last year and it was great. I'v never been to such a friendly festival. Probably due to the fact that it was so small and 'intimate', you would be seeing the same faces over the weekend and would end up chatting away and having the craic with them.
    In fact, I ended up bumping into some girls I had met at Indiependence, at Electric Picnic a month later, and have made plans to meet up with them again at this years Indiependence. New festival-friends ftw. Saw no scumbags there, there was no pissing on/setting fire to tents. Only saw one fight (and I think they were just local lads acting like dicks).

The line-up isn't exactly 'mainstream' , but I think that's a good thing - it attracts true music fans who are less likely to act like skangers.

The only bad things last year were camping on the side of a GAA pitch, and the music finishing so early.... oh and the rain:cool:. But it's a new campsite this year, the music will be going on til 2am (correct me if I'm wrong Curve) and only God can decide on the weather.

I can't wait for it!!!!!
    :D

*EDIT*
    We camped on the Friday night last year, and it was grand. Just chilled out with a few cans and got to know our neighbours. Think we might take a wander into Mitchelstown this year on the Friday, and have a few drinks in one of the pubs cos apparently there will be music in all the pubs that night. Think the site is about a mile outside the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭greenmachine88

woah what a line up:rolleyes::D

this is great, thank you for all your help/advice. About alcohol, if I'm getting the bus there it probably wouldn't be great idea to bring a crate of beer with me so:
    a) is there off licence thats not too far of a walk away that isn't a rip off?
    b) can you bring this alcohol into the campsite
    c) can you bring this alcohol into area where the bands are on?

Alcohol can be brought into the campsite but not the main arena. There's loads of off licenses in the town and plenty shops/pubs that sell alcohol.

EDIT: rainbow, the music should be going until well after 2am.

• Advertisement

ok, im ok with that on condition of your next answer being acceptable :)

how much is a pint of standard lager being sold in the arena??

Advertisement