Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

INDIEPENDENCE 2010

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Fantastic festival, really enjoyed the experience. musi was class, bands were great, silent disco was some craic though :) and insanely popular by end of festival!

minor gripes,

toilets ugh... but i hate portaloos anyway. . .

generally disgusted at way bits of camping gear was routinely destroyed and fired around the place and rubbish was everywhere,

while we made a conscious effort to stuff our crap into plastic bags, someone else decided to kick said rubbish bags all over the ground... people arent animals so why live like them, there were ample bins so no excuse. Par for the course at festivals though.

overall the athmosphere was really cool and laid back, lots of really happy beered up people, felt very sad leaving yesterday morning :( cant wait for next year!

lastly, not many of us knew about the second camping field which meant many tents were built on top of other tents when we prob couldve spread out a little better!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

I seriously cannot rave about this festival enough. Had such an amazing weekend. White Lies and Delorentos were my highlights (if anyone has videos of either please upload them, I didn't get any and would love to watch them back!)

I honestly don't have many complaints but I'd agree with Morphéus about the portaloos and the second field. One of the major good points I'd say is the size of the festival, the campsite was a really nice size to get to meet people and I didn't see any messing going on. I'll definitely be heading back next year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Fantastic, amazing weekend.

I have no complaints. You can't do much about portaloos. I only found them to be very undesirable late Sunday night/Monday morning.

Met loads of crazy, friendly people at the campsite. The staff were nice and lax in campsite security, but I mean that in a positive way e.g. I had a camping wristband, but if one of my friends who had a day pass wanted to come and join us for an hour or two at the campsite, the staff would let them in and just asked them to please don't be any trouble.

Fred, Super Extra Bonus Party, Duke Special, some band in the Cyprus Avenue stage with a red garment wrapped around his face were all band favorites. Silent Disco was insanely popular and successful too.

The dry weather (bar the rainy hour or two on lunchtime Saturday) was a huge bonus. There was no mud at all and that improved the mood a lot in my opinion.

Already looking forward to next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

blow69 wrote: »
    Fantastic, amazing weekend.

I have no complaints. You can't do much about portaloos. I only found them to be very undesirable late Sunday night/Monday morning.

Met loads of crazy, friendly people at the campsite. The staff were nice and lax in campsite security, but I mean that in a positive way e.g. I had a camping wristband, but if one of my friends who had a day pass wanted to come and join us for an hour or two at the campsite, the staff would let them in and just asked them to please don't be any trouble.

Fred, Super Extra Bonus Party, Duke Special, some band in the Cyprus Avenue stage with a red garment wrapped around his face were all band favorites. Silent Disco was insanely popular and successful too.

The dry weather (bar the rainy hour or two on lunchtime Saturday) was a huge bonus. There was no mud at all and that improved the mood a lot in my opinion.

Already looking forward to next year!

Adesibi Shank is who you are thinking of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I wish all festivals were set on limestone basins! Definitely has been the least muddy festival I have been to in the previous 5 years. Especially had less mud than last years Indiependence which was nothing short of a swamp.

I loved the enclosed nature of the grounds in terms that it made everything easy to get to and led to a cosy feel but on the other hand found that sometimes the music from the main stage was coming in to some of the other tents.
    I also had a bit of difficulty figuring out which stage was which. Through my Sherlock Holmes powers of deduction I figured out the main stage, monster stage and cyprus avenue but my similar powers of deduction had me trying to figure out the next two stages.

Excellent job fellas and can't wait for next year now. As long as the price doesn't start spiraling out of control I will keep on going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Curve Music

I would be very surprised if the ticket prices changed next year. At too many festivals the punter is the lowest common denominator. We WANT to put on good bands and keep prices low. We are very strict on the pricing of all products onsite. We need your support too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

From reading the replies in here, congrats for running such a good fesitval. I'll be doing my best to make it along in 12 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Ahh Mr Lordgoat, please try going next year, you won't regret it!!

Really great festival, best €80 I ever spent. We (10 of us) got there nice and early Friday evening, so had our pick of camping spots, and a less than 3min walk to the car (I could actually see my car on the other side of the fence from my tent). Friendly security, arena only 5mins walk from the campsite, good choice of food on offer, discovered loads of new music (loved Ghostcat and John Blek and The Rats especially, and The Riptide Movement came into the campsite on the Sunday and did an impromptu acoustic gig, which was class). Everyone was really friendly and I never saw any trouble, pints were only €4.50, which is very cheap for a festival, and the Silent Disco was the best laugh ever!!

You know when your at a festival, and a cheer goes around the campsite like a mexican wave on the first night? Well, at Indiependence that cheer was going around the campsite for the whole weekend..... a sure sign of a fantastic atmosphere!!

Only a couple of minor things to say as constructive criticism:

Maybe a few more portaloos could have been provided? Personally I thought they weren't too bad, and I'v seen a lot worse at other festivals but maybe I was just lucky (or I have lower standards) as my friends, and a few other people I was talking to found them pretty bad.

A few more bins around the place would have been good, and maybe had a few litter pickers working early in the mornings? The litter was fairly bad by the Sunday.

The stages were very close together, and as a result there was sound 'bleed' from one tent into another, and if you were standing between them in the main grassy area it was very annoying. Bigger arena next year maybe?

Really can't wait til next year, have a feeling that this festival is going to turn into the next Electric Picnic, but I hope it doesn't...... the capacity it has at the moment is just a perfect size!!

Thanks a lot to the organisers - Shane and the lads - for a fantastic weekend!! Roll on Indiependence 2011:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Indiependence keeps getting better and better, great new site, brilliant atmosphere, loads of silly, funny people (guy in cow costume, guy in star spangled banner dress etc :D) excellent food choices ... for temporary stalls, the pizzas and Thai noodles were f***ing amazing!

Superb lineup of bands as well, for me the highlights were Sounds of System Breakdown, Fred, Reverend & the Makers, Ham Sandwich, Duke Special and the excellent Alabama 3!

Only criticism was the limited choice of drinks at the bar (for us non shorts/ wine drinkers) - there was no cider on sale like last year, but at least the beer wasn't overpriced!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Really excellent festival. Venue was ideal, very intimate but still large enough to allow for the crowds.

Food was top notch, haven't had pizza as nice outside of Italy, beer was very fairly priced at €4.50 and there was never a massive delay to get a pint.

Wasn't camping as I'm within walking distance of the site but heard there was a great atmosphere in there and none of the b$ that goes on at larger festivals, burning of tents etc.

Silent disco was the high point for me, spent about 6 hours in there over the two nights, great show. Loaded Kings another highlight of the show.

Picnic benches were another great idea, grand to be able chill out for a few mins before deciding where to head to next.

Site was ideal as it was naturally fenced with mature trees and 8ft deer fencing well hidden amongst the trees so it all looked very friendly. Security were bang on as most of them seemed to be local to the town. Talking to a local guard Sunday night and they said they had a very quiet weekend, no hassle at all. No mud anywhere either, spent all weekend in shorts and trainers.

All in all a massive success and can't wait for next year. Any chance it could be stretched out to a week?! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

Really excellent festival. Venue was ideal, very intimate but still large enough to allow for the crowds.

Food was top notch, haven't had pizza as nice outside of Italy, beer was very fairly priced at €4.50 and there was never a massive delay to get a pint.

Wasn't camping as I'm within walking distance of the site but heard there was a great atmosphere in there and none of the b$ that goes on at larger festivals, burning of tents etc.

Silent disco was the high point for me, spent about 6 hours in there over the two nights, great show. Loaded Kings another highlight of the show.

Picnic benches were another great idea, grand to be able chill out for a few mins before deciding where to head to next.

Site was ideal as it was naturally fenced with mature trees and 8ft deer fencing well hidden amongst the trees so it all looked very friendly. Security were bang on as most of them seemed to be local to the town. Talking to a local guard Sunday night and they said they had a very quiet weekend, no hassle at all. No mud anywhere either, spent all weekend in shorts and trainers.

All in all a massive success and can't wait for next year. Any chance it could be stretched out to a week?! :cool:
    i second all of it....i'm hungry just thinking about the pizza..although €4 a slice was a tad steep.
    i'm fairly sure i prefer the smaller festivals, less of the BS that goes on

joe echo were cool, we should be dead, white lies, fish go deep and the list goes on.

the sound equipment in the silent disco, which was the square stage was a bit off when we should be dead were playing

it was great to just walk in and be there, rather than a 20 min hike once you get past the main entrance

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Pizza 4 euro a slice....
    whole pizza 20 euro....
    which is why i bought a WHOLE pizza between 3 of us :)

Would I be out of order in saying there were 4,000-5,000 there?

We had an unbelievable weekend, completely due to the atmosphere created by the bands we met and the people we met. Thank you so, so much. See you all next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Doooo

We had an unbelievable weekend, completely due to the atmosphere created by the bands we met and the people we met. Thank you so, so much. See you all next year.

I reckon you're right with your guesstimation there.

There was a good amount of people there. Not too packed, but not empty either. There was always a good crowd at each stage/tent.

Had such a brill weekend. Last year was good, but this year was amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Just dont let upthewestboy hear you..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Ive decided that next year im gonna try hit up as many irish festivals like Indiependence,Sea Sessions,Knockanstockan and Castlepalooza

Ive decided that next year im gonna try hit up as many irish festivals like Indiependence,Sea Sessions,Knockanstockan and Castlepalooza

+1

Was at Indiependence and Bump already this year, and I'v decided that in the future smaller festivals are the way to go!! Better atmosphere and cheaper. I already have my Electric Picnic ticket paid for, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother with it this year. If it wasn't for the fact Leftfield were playing I would probably sell my ticket.......

I had the time of my life at Indiependence for €79, no stress with crowds/walking for miles, and I know at Electric Picnic when I'm struggling to carry my gear from the car to the campsite I'm going to be saying to myself 'I paid €240 for this?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Doooo

+1

Was at Indiependence and Bump already this year, and I'v decided that in the future smaller festivals are the way to go!! Better atmosphere and cheaper. I already have my Electric Picnic ticket paid for, otherwise I probably wouldn't bother with it this year. If it wasn't for the fact Leftfield were playing I would probably sell my ticket.......

I had the time of my life at Indiependence for €79, no stress with crowds/walking for miles, and I know at Electric Picnic when I'm struggling to carry my gear from the car to the campsite I'm going to be saying to myself 'I paid €240 for this?"

+100000

There were about 10 of us at Indiependance this year, and we all said the same thing, small festivals are the way forward.
    We usually go to Oxegen and EP every year, but are thinking of giving both a miss next year and hitting more smaller festivals instead.
    Indiependance, Sea Sessions etc. If only Solas festival didn't end after the first year that would be another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

From the Indiependence facebook page:

INDIEPENDENCE 2011 - July 29/30/31 !!
    Same capacity, same ticket price!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

I'll be there with bells on:D

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

At too many festivals the punter is the lowest common denominator but I hope ye felt looked after. We're not in the business of ripping people off. I think a lot of punters arrive at festivals in Ireland with a bit of apprehension in that they're expecting to be fleeced.

'I hope ye felt looked after' is a bit of an understatement. I bought two non-camping tickets the week they went onsale for the wife and I. Unfortunately our bambino was sick and we didn't get down on the saturday and I went on my own on the sunday. I handed in the whole strip of tickets/receipt and got my wristband but the girl asked where the other person was and just explained about the bambino. I was completely floored when this guy behind her who overheard us talk chimed in offering me a refund on my wifes ticket. I declined the refund because I tip my hat to you on your totally excellent, probably unique attitude, don't ever change man, you are a breath of fresh air!!!

I will see you again in 2011 for sure!!

FinoBlad wrote: »
    'I hope ye felt looked after' is a bit of an understatement. I bought two non-camping tickets the week they went onsale for the wife and I. Unfortunately our bambino was sick and we didn't get down on the saturday and I went on my own on the sunday. I handed in the whole strip of tickets/receipt and got my wristband but the girl asked where the other person was and just explained about the bambino. I was completely floored when this guy behind her who overheard us talk chimed in offering me a refund on my wifes ticket. I declined the refund because I tip my hat to you on your totally excellent, probably unique attitude, don't ever change man, you are a breath of fresh air!!!

I will see you again in 2011 for sure!!

I was on a collection at that time and was standing beside him. I can honestly say I was just as blown away when you didn't take the money. It was a nice pick me up after a hard weekend's work for all of us.

I was on a collection at that time and was standing beside him. I can honestly say I was just as blown away when you didn't take the money. It was a nice pick me up after a hard weekend's work for all of us.

The offer meant a lot more to me than the money and I skipped off happily, got a coffee and went to Monster to see Ceolaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I seriously cannot rave about this festival enough. Had such an amazing weekend. White Lies and Delorentos were my highlights (if anyone has videos of either please upload them, I didn't get any and would love to watch them back!)

Here is a video with Hot Sprockets, White Lies (only a wee bit), God is an Astronaut & The Flaws from Indiependance.

I have some handheld clips of White Lies, Coronas, The Funeral Suits and Ghostcat on my camera, files are HD and huge but if theres any interest I will post on vimeo.

FinoBlad wrote: »
    I have some handheld clips of White Lies, Coronas, The Funeral Suits and Ghostcat on my camera, files are HD and huge but if theres any interest I will post on vimeo.

I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of the Ghostcat set, if you wouldn't mind? Thought they were fantastic. Had never heard of them before, but I'm now a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of the Ghostcat set, if you wouldn't mind? Thought they were fantastic. Had never heard of them before, but I'm now a fan.

I've footage of them too, and of the kid who was dancing alone around the front of the stage (everyone was watching him and not the band for most of it) but didn't throw it in the mix in my video. Might do it and have an under 10 minute version for youtube soon.

If anyone has footage that's going to end up online, I wouldn't mind a link myself...

• Advertisement

If anyone has footage that's going to end up online, I wouldn't mind a link myself...

Why don't you PM me your address and I will send you down a disk with all my clips and a few photos and you can post wherever you wish.

Advertisement