Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bigsby vibrato?

• 16-03-2010 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

Alright, I have a 2000 Epi LP that I'm never selling due to its sentimental value (and also due to the fact that its a f***ing good guitar).

I upgraded the stock tuners which were rubbish, to Der Jungs, also upgraded the pups to open Gibson PAF's.

I have been thinking, for some time, about getting a Bigsby vibrato on it. So anyone out there use one or have installed one on an existing axe, I'd like to hear your thoughts, as well as pros and cons.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Do it... Keef Richards LP with Bigsby is the dog's bjollox...

85001603.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA5482FA0687AEED6AD624C1BC3C05CDA02E247E0A426CE5411A0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

go for it!

9482369_NeilYoung-LesPaul.jpg

old-black.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Get it installed by someone proper cause a poorly installed one could cause problems. There's your official bigsby unit and then the licenced model which is a bit cheaper. Might as well go for the latter.

The cons aren't really that bad outside of re-stringing which is tedious and kinda hard. They don't throw your tuning out that much especially if you get either roller saddles or graph tech (or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Hate to ressurect the thread, but is there anyone on Dublin who would install one? :)

bumpage

• Advertisement

Eugene McLoughlin @ Xmusic/theguitarworkshop.net is the only person I could confidently recommend. There's another guy who is supposed to be great too called Derek Nelson in Rathfarnham but I've never used him and heard he's a slightly more expensive though this would be up his alley. Anyway, I've used Eugene and can recommend him.

Gonna be pricey either way I reckon specially for an Epi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Eugene McLoughlin @ Xmusic/theguitarworkshop.net is the only person I could confidently recommend. There's another guy who is supposed to be great too called Derek Nelson in Rathfarnham but I've never used him and heard he's a slightly more expensive though this would be up his alley. Anyway, I've used Eugene and can recommend him.

Gonna be pricey either way I reckon specially for an Epi.

I had Derek Nelson install a bigsby on my Telecaster and it was simply fantastic. It did take ages though, but the work was top notch.

He's a very busy man is he not? I think it's mainly just him and Eugene for the real serious guitarwork...

all bull****! sorry lads! :D

all you need to do to mount a bigsby is buy a vibramate plate

http://www.vibramate.com/

it lines it up for your perfectly using the original bridge holes
    AND it's removable!

107ca.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I hate you punchdrunk:mad:
    God damn it, i want a bigsby on my Les Paul now! I can't afford all this! Haha

• Advertisement

I hate you punchdrunk:mad:
    God damn it, i want a bigsby on my Les Paul now! I can't afford all this! Haha

yeah sorry about that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Have fun every time you have to change strings on a guitar with a Bigsby. Brain surgery would be easier.

Savman wrote: »
    Have fun every time you have to change strings on a guitar with a Bigsby. Brain surgery would be easier.

i find a wedge of foam does the trick
    put the ball ends on the pins and bend the strings round the roller,then jam a wedge of foam into the gap between the body and the roller,which will hold them on the pins
    then string up as normal

Punchdrunk, that picture made me drool. In a good way.

Punchdrunk, that picture made me drool. In a good way.

sure you may as well do it then! :D

If by "do it" you mean install the Bigsby, as opposed to drool, then I will once I get some money. Drooling's free though:D

Advertisement