Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody willing to help?

• 16-03-2010 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

First off ....... Yes, I am looking for something for nothing!

My brother is getting married in the States in a few months time. He has not been home for several years and is unlikley to be home any time soon.

As a wedding present I want to get a few pictures of Dublin and then have them mounted and framed for him.

The way I see it, I will be able to bring the images on a memory card (whick obviously will be light and easy to carry!!) and then have them printed / mounted / framed over there.

So - I am hoping that some of you guys might be willing to e-mail me some of your photographs.

If it helps, I would promise that they will only be printed the once (for the wedding gift) and they will not be reproduced / reprinted / claimed as my own!! :eek:

If anybody is interested in helping then pleae PM me and I will send on my e-mail address.

I hope that it is ok to ask a favor like this on this forum!

Thanks in advance!

T

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Just to clarify...you want the pictures for free, to print off as a wedding gift?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

If you consider the skills of the printer and framer worth paying for, you might want to consider that the skills of the photographer are also worth paying for.

I hope you get some nice pictures for the wedding present, it's a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Hey,

On Flickr some photographers upload their pictures under whats known as "Creative Commons" licence http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/. I think you're ok to use these pictures for the purpose you've in mind; you'll find details on the information bar to the right of pictures.

You can search for photos with Creative Commons and of Dublin with a search like this one:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=dublin&l=cc&ct=0&mt=all&adv=1&s=rec

that's just a generic Dublin search; you can be more specific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

If you consider the skills of the printer and framer worth paying for, you might want to consider that the skills of the photographer are also worth paying for.

I hope you get some nice pictures for the wedding present, it's a great idea.

Could not agree more - you guys have a skill that I do not! I knew that I was being cheeky and it was not my intention to be rude ...... I suppose, I was just living by the "if you dont ask then you wont get" rule!!

Anyway, if I have caused offence to anybody then you have my sincere apology.

Just to clarify...you want the pictures for free, to print off as a wedding gift?

Yes!

Does that make me a cheapskate ........ maybe!

But I have 3 kids, am paying for flights and accomodatoin to go to the wedding (not that I dont want to ......... just pointing out that funds will be tight)

Plus (most importantly of all!) I would see the thought and emotion behind the gift as being way more valuable that any monetary figure. I love my brother and I want to give him something sepcial to remember his home town.

However, again, if I have caused offence then I offer a full apololgy.

• Advertisement

Tarakiwa wrote: »
    Could not agree more - you guys have a skill that I do not! I knew that I was being cheeky and it was not my intention to be rude ...... I suppose, I was just living by the "if you dont ask then you wont get" rule!!

Anyway, if I have caused offence to anybody then you have my sincere apology.

So are you still looking for free shots or are you willing to pay something?

4279397599_af5ae62972_m.jpg4280840461_7e8bd3c083_m.jpg4142976015_dea7fb5048_m.jpg4280234498_8763c49f03_m.jpg

Im cheap, but not free ;) PM if interested.

So are you still looking for free shots or are you willing to pay something?

Im cheap, but not free ;) PM if interested.

Thanks Longshanks but I think I am going to brave it out for a day or two and see if anybody is wiling to donate!! :D

By the way LS - I really love that 4th image! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

http://www.redbubble.com/people/swingking

you can buy my prints from here and they come framed and everything

Then make me an offer via PM :D
    But they way, you will be able to print it up to 30 inches wide - as I recently did. Its quite massive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Wow, a guy comes on and asks for a favour and you's all jump at the chance to be smart towards him and sell your work.

I know photography is a big thing and a lot of us have put a good bit of money in but he was just asking.

He's also not looking for prints or mounts from here as it would be near impossible to bring over to the US

Tarakiwa, if I was a good photographer and I had and decent pics of Dublin, i would gladly help you out. What exactly are you looking for? Nightshots, buildings, the liffey?

Thanks Tallon.

I really do acknowledge the wonderful work of the photographers on this forum - that is percicely why I posted here ....... I know jsut how good you guys are!

I am looking for anything at all ...... just half a dozen shots of dublin that I can have printed and nicely framed ...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

C'mon folks.

I'm sure a lot of people here have something they'd like from B&H or the like. In exchange for your print, the OP might be willing to bring something home for you. It doesn't all have to be monetary. Save you the shipping fees :)

tbh, I don't think I'd have what you're after, but if someone here does, I'd be delighted to see you getting helped out.

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

"Interesting" images from Flickr tagged with "dublin" that have a Creative Commons license.

You're free to use these as the license describes, just read the license for each photograph you want to use and abide by its conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Then make me an offer via PM :D
    But they way, you will be able to print it up to 30 inches wide - as I recently did. Its quite massive!

Where did you get that done? and how much did it set you back??

alexlyons wrote: »
    Where did you get that done? and how much did it set you back??

The print itself was cheap. I tried the poster option the aldi online service provides.....solely as a test print because it cost only approx €15 inc shipping. But when it arrived I was delighted so I got it mounted and framed.
    The mount and frame on the other hand cost a nice bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

You could use one of these in exchange for a 1/2 lb of chocolate raisins. (€4 incl delivery). ;)

3345181141_ab45cd7108.jpg

3345181461_4cc005c480.jpg

3345180341_5c70b55d8c.jpg

3345179953_120744e64f.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

You are very welcome to any of these if you like them OP:

3117321474_071c0af229_m.jpg

3658225430_c9555c9ca4_m.jpg

3743764233_193f552abe_m.jpg

4120997736_b30bc4a13b_m.jpg

Heh they aren't great, I must work on capturing some nice images of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

If I had anything decent I'd let you use it but I don't really. You're free to look through my flickr and give me a shout - http://www.flickr.com/photos/sineadw or my pixie (link in sig, but there's not as many from way back on there..).

Good luck in the hunt though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Same here. Feel free to have a look through flickr & pixie
    Links in sig

I'll tell you what, PM our email address and I'll send you on the full size version.
    But it'll cost ya - a big fat bar of american chocolate from the duty free :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

PM sent with a link to a few :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Fajitas! wrote: »
    C'mon folks.

I'm sure a lot of people here have something they'd like from B&H or the like. In exchange for your print, the OP might be willing to bring something home for you. It doesn't all have to be monetary. Save you the shipping fees :)

tbh, I don't think I'd have what you're after, but if someone here does, I'd be delighted to see you getting helped out.

thats a very good idea

there's your value right there wont cost either side any cash but could save you some money on a purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

foto joe wrote: »
    You could use one of these in exchange for a 1/2 lb of chocolate raisins. (€4 incl delivery). ;)

3345181141_ab45cd7108.jpg

3345181461_4cc005c480.jpg

3345180341_5c70b55d8c.jpg

3345179953_120744e64f.jpg

Awesome photos Joe !!!!!!!!

10/10 ...

and not even C+C !!!

OP , when do you need these photos for,
    i may make this a little project of my own ...

give me some ideas and i can take some shots for you .(PM me..)

I have a Canon 5D MKII and decent lenses so i reckon i can get something good ...

Well I PMd the OP offering any of my images for free and received no response. Not even a 'thanks but I've found someone else '

so I'm unhappy with how the OP has treated the situation.

4280234498_8763c49f03_m.jpg

Any chance you could post up a larger version of that picture?

Would love to be able to see it better.

Kind of off topic here, but do you guys generally consider it safe around Dublin at night with camera gear?

Was considering getting a late bus up from drogheda, and staying around overnight, and getting an early bus back the following day. Just not too familiar with Dublin as I rarely spend any time up there, and would be alone, too.

Haven't really heard any horror stories, but I'd be weary all the same.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I would be very wary.... carefull .. maybe best to go in a group ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Kind of off topic here, but do you guys generally consider it safe around Dublin at night with camera gear?

Was considering getting a late bus up from drogheda, and staying around overnight, and getting an early bus back the following day. Just not too familiar with Dublin as I rarely spend any time up there, and would be alone, too.

Haven't really heard any horror stories, but I'd be weary all the same.:confused:

I would not just go wandering alone late. I would say find at least one or two others to go out with you. Maybe in the photo expeditions section? There have been quite a few night walks around Dublin in the past. There are usually a few people happy for a night of shooting.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't fancy doing it with a group of people from on here to be honest.

Extremely new to the whole area of photography, still learning the absolute basics of it and wouldn't really feel too comfortable with a group of people who know what they're doing. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Extremely new to the whole area of photography, still learning the absolute basics of it and wouldn't really feel too comfortable with a group of people who know what they're doing. :o

On the contrary it'd be far better than being with a group that don't know what they're doing!!!!
    As with any group you'll always find a dipstick stuck in the middle but most people (in any general activity) are more than willing to pass on knowledge or share experiences and you'll learn far more in an hour or two than weeks of reading or playing with your camera and manual on your own.
    I've been a member of a diving club for years and always tell people that they'll learn as much in the pub as they'll learn in the water.Get to know people and they'll open up.

Any chance you could post up a larger version of that picture?

Would love to be able to see it better.

Here you go
    4280234498_0719559e1b_o.jpg

swingking wrote: »
    Well I PMd the OP offering any of my images for free and received no response. Not even a 'thanks but I've found someone else '

so I'm unhappy with how the OP has treated the situation.

I am afraid that I went off line for a while there just to let the thread develop...... I am very sorry if it has upset you at all.

I am very thankful for all those who have suggested that they would help!

T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

On most of the photowalks I have been on everybody does their own thing so you won't feel crowded even though you are in a group. Go on and join a few on the next nightwalk you see being organised.

the_monkey wrote: »

OP , when do you need these photos for,
    i may make this a little project of my own ...

QUOTE]

The wedding is the end of June - so anything up to 24 hours before I depart is fine with me!! :)

To be honest, I have no firm idea of what I want ....... just something that screams "Dublin"! I hope to get about half a dozen different images, mounted and framed (in the one frame I think!).

• Advertisement

First off - to all those that have responded with offers of help (either on this thread or on PM), can I pleae offer a huge thank you.

I have been genuinely surprised at the number of people who have been willing to help!

Also, I think that the idea of bringing back goodies in exchange for the use of the images is a fair one. I would go even one step further ....... Upon my return I would suggest that a meet up could be arranged. I would be delighted to bring with me a "swag" bag full of American chocolate (it seems to be the currency that people on this forum like!).

Perhaps the meet could be tied in with a night walk, as has been discussed in this thread too.

Anyway, to all those that have responded, thank you again.

I have so may links to trawl through that it looks like it will take a good week or two get through them all!! :D

Thanks again guys!

T

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

@Tarakiwa - I have just caught up with this thread. Maybe an idea would have been to offer a barter in the first place. You may not have the Photographic Skills required, however I am sure you have others that people here may find useful. So that could have been better than asking for something for nothing. It seems that people have been generous though & you may well be sorted.

Have a look through my flickr, there are a couple of 'iconic' shots of Dublin.

Drop me a message for the high res if you are interested, we cna sort something out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

CabanSail wrote: »
    @Tarakiwa - I have just caught up with this thread. Maybe an idea would have been to offer a barter in the first place. You may not have the Photographic Skills required, however I am sure you have others that people here may find useful. So that could have been better than asking for something for nothing. It seems that people have been generous though & you may well be sorted.

/summary

jerryspringer.jpg

THANKS!

THANK YOU!

I have been really surprised and delighted by the sheer number of people who have sent me links to their sites or who have simply e-mailed me files.

I cant wait now to get over to the States and to give him his present - I know how much it will mean to him!

I will make sure that I am fully loaded with Americal chocolate on my way home. I will try to arrange a meet up so that we can treck around Dublin and take some more photographs - the chocolates can be used to sustain us and I am sure that I could spring for the price of a few pints afterwards too.

Finally, I am going to make sure that all your names are written across the back of the frame as a lasting tribute to all those that contributed. I know that my brother misses the Irish spirit and I also know that he will recognise this for what it is!

Again, to all those who have helped thank you!

• Advertisement

Glad we could help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

It is nice to see you've been able to communicate a bit. That makes it easier for people who were (or are going to be) illegally robbed.
    I have only one evening shot of Dublin that I like a lot and I would be happy to know that it is hanging on a wall -
    76A218A4695B44EA85F290B3441969BF-800.jpg

That is a lovely photograph.

+1. Beautiful shot!

Not too sure wh you mean by "illegally robbed" though ...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

i think he means people whos images were/or are going to be lifted without their consent - in other words it's nice to be asked :)

one point that i didn't notice - are you getting the images printed and framed here in Ireland and bringing them over in your baggage? I realise that it would take from the local economy here but have you thought of them getting damaged in transit? might it not be more prudent to get them done in the US?

good point on the barter suggestion even bringing home a memory stick would be a deal/steal :)

oh and enjoy the wedding - we'd like to see the photos :D

Plan is to bring the images over on a memory stick - as you say it will save on baggage and any possible damage in transit!

Not through design, but most of the more dramatic images seem to be of Dublin at night.

I am really looking forward to seeing the finished product!!

Throw up what you are thinking about!

Advertisement