Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I've so far sent 4 emails to this year’s Campaigns and Information officer.

She has yet to answer one of my emails.

So, can this year’s Campaign and Information officer nominees confirm that they are able to reply to student emails?

No no no - Campaigning is a one way street. Clearly you're just not listening to the message :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭goodgodholmes

I've so far sent 4 emails to this year’s Campaigns and Information officer.

She has yet to answer one of my emails.

So, can this year’s Campaign and Information officer nominees confirm that they are able to reply to student emails?

Consider em replied to...!

Vote Maeve McQuillan for a swift reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ollieyonex400

Consider em replied to...!

Vote Maeve McQuillan for a swift reply!

Manifesto:

Introduction:

My name is Collie and I am running for the position of Campaigns and Information Officer on the DCU SU for 2010. I am currently studying for a Masters in Marketing in DCUBS having recently completed my undergraduate degree in business studies at DCU also, specializing in the marketing discipline.

Marketing Experience:
    I have played a thoroughly active role in student life and extra curricular activities of all sorts during my time in DCU. I have a keen interest in sports and music of all shapes and sizes and have sat on numerous clubs and society committees, which have seen much success in recent years. Achieving a first in the Uaneen module in 2009 was the culmination of such extra curricular commitment.
    I have vast experience in promotions and event management, currently working for Redbull as the DCU student brand manager and have worked with numerous clubs throughout the country, running many successful student initiatives over the last five years. As part of the DCU Redbull brand manager role, I have also worked with many DCU clubs and societies helping to promote and ensure the success of their respective events including Style Soc, Dance, Karting, Islam Soc, E+S, badminton and many more.

Charitable Experience:
    I have a strong charitable background with links to numerous Irish charities including St. Vincent De Paul, the Dublin Pilgrimage to Lourdes, ISPCC and most recently, Unicef. I am currently project manager for UNICEF’s pioneering Pay it Forward Kids Challenge 2010 which will be piloted in two Dublin primary schools next month and thus if elected hope to continue on the great work of this years SU, helping raise charitable awareness amongst DCU students through consistent interaction with these worthy causes over the college year.

Motivations:
    DCU has been extremely good to me over the last 5 years. Through an integrated and holistic approach to learning, mixing both curricular and extra curricular activities, DCU has helped me grow as a person both psychologically and emotionally. To put it simply, it has been my home. Running for election for your 2010 Campaigns and Information Officer provides me with the opportunity to give something back to the university, applying all the skills and competencies that the college has so graciously given me for the benefit of the current and incoming DCU student body.

Approach:
    ‘Acts as a point of peer-provided information to members’

If elected, I pledge to pursue an open door approach to the Campaigns and Information position. DCU is your college and therefore as students, you have the right to craft your own college experience, a college experience that reflects your interest, your hobbies and your life. This idea of openness and transparency is the principal theme of my campaign manifesto e.g.
    The theme is reflected in all my campaign posters and fliers, which can be seen all throughout the different faculties of learning in DCU. Rather than dictating to DCU students in what I want to do if elected to the position, I have purposely left part of my posters blank and designed in the shape of a blank white board. Here, it is my wish for students to actively and openly communicate what they would like to see from the campaigns and information officer and why they believe I should (or indeed should not) be elected to the position!
    Melanie has done an amazing job in the position this year and it will be extremely hard to top her contribution to the role. However, one area of responsibility I would like to expand on and develop is the level of direct contact with the DCU student body. In order to effectively campaign and inform the students of DCU (as per role description), it is necessary to actively get out into the ‘battlefield’, get out and about around campus and interact with the student body in person, not only by traditional means e.g. telephone and email, social media etc. The Campaigns position is the ears and the mouth of DCU and on this basis if elected, I pledge to spend a significant proportion of my time outside of the SU actively communicating the workings of the union and listening to the student population and their needs, bringing their best interests to the administrative and governing levels of the SU.

Ideas:
    ‘Co-ordinates and implements planned and publicized campaigns in support of all Union policies and strategies.’

Along with the great campaigns and events that have been run to date by the previous SU officers e.g. Niteline, Music Week, SHAG Week, Eco Week etc, if elected, I hope to promote new exciting student initiatives that reflect the interests of all students, big, small, young or old, Irish or from across the waters. I do not have time to discuss all the campaign and event ideas buzzing through my mind, but one of the areas I would like to focus on if elected, is at postgraduate study level. Having only recently progressed from a DCU undergraduate degree program into a DCU postgraduate course it is clear that there is a lack of attention and focus afforded to the experienced fee paying postgraduate students of the university. Accordingly, I would like to run special campaigns and events to meet the needs of this older maturer segment of DCU students to encourage them to play a more active role in student affairs and extra curricular college life. One area I would like to expand and develop in the college is in student careers. Building on the hugely successful DCU Careers Days, I believe it is hugely important for DCU students (especially in the economic downturn which we are currently experiencing) to consistently optimize their future employability. As such, in combination with student’s respective academic programs, I propose to run fortnightly ‘Sparks’ career seminars inviting successful managers, academics, entrepreneurs and employment agencies representative of all faculties in DCU to come and provide students with that extra bit of advice and guidance as to their future career paths.

Other ideas:
    • High quality music/arts events to make use of our state of the art theatre, the Helix
    • Proposed sports week/Sports Day where all sports clubs in DCU would be free to try for all DCU students
    • Health and Fitness Week promoting healthy eating and exercise in DCU

Conclusion:
    This year is my 5th year studying at Dublin City University and if I am elected, I hope to harness all the experience that I have acquired both inside and outside of the lecture hall to construct an integrated ‘college experience’ the likes of which has never been seen before. Along with marketing and promoting DCU on a national level, my goal if elected as your Campaigns and Information Officer will be to help you in the creation of new friendships and fond memories that you will take with you long after your time spent at DCU.
    On a final note, this years SU has been brilliant and have played a significant part in forming my aspirations to run for the Campaigns position. If elected, I hope to continue on the great work that they have done throughout the year and make OUR University a hub of communication, transparency and social activity.
    So when it comes to the polling stations next Tuesday and Wednesdy

VOTE COLLIE FOR YOUR CAMPAIGNS AND INFORMATION OFFICER 2010!
    ‘Campaigning and communicating what matters most to you…’

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

At least your manifesto sounds better than the fangirl posters around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭OrionsBelt

can you vote without a student card. i lost mine awhile back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

It's time for another good idea, bad idea.

Good idea: vote for David Doyle

Bad idea: vote for Ciaran Hughes

I mean he's running on the "DCU is boring" ticket. Nothing I have read leads me to believe he is in anyway capable of being president, he might run some good GAA events but he seems to think that organising events would be his primary role :rolleyes:

Thank you Skylinehead. The posters are just there to be different, stand out from the crowd, generate a bit of buzz in attempt to differentiate from the mounds of elections advertising in and around the hub.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

First person to come up with a TL;DR version of their manifesto gets my vote

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

I love these threads, DCU should have elections every week.

Any of the candidates giving out decent free stuff? I remember someone handing out Creme Eggs one year and I've been disappointed by pretty much every candidate since.

Any of the candidates giving out decent free stuff? I remember someone handing out Creme Eggs one year and I've been disappointed by pretty much every candidate since.
    There are a few "vote for Cillian" wrist bands going around, though that kinda sucks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭OrionsBelt

First person to come up with a TL;DR version of their manifesto gets my vote

have you seen the campaign posters? Megan, David and Leeanne have all summarised their campaign manifestos there. also Maeve has a summarised manifesto on her main manifesto

got free sweets off leeanne today and a glow stick off megan

OrionsBelt wrote: »
    have you seen the campaign posters? Megan, David and Leeanne have all summarised their campaign manifestos there. also Maeve has a summarised manifesto on her main manifesto

I have, Dave definitely has the funniest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

My name is Ciaran Hughes, but I'm known as Nudie. I'm third year Education & Training student. And I'm hoping to be your next SU President. I'm running for SU President as I feel I can give something back to DCU. DCU has lot of potential and I hope to help it reach it.

And your suggestions would be?
    DCU needs an injection of atmosphere into its campus and its events; this will be my primary aim as president. For the past three years I have been at the forefront of planning successful events such as the GAA Mystery Tour. DCU's largest Mystery Tour. I want the students to have a President that’s main focus is the students happiness and give them a student’s union that hears students voices and gets tangible results.

Anything else you organised?
    If elected as DCU’s next Students' Union president I would ensure that the student’s union focus remains on its students. I will be a president that stays in tune with what the students want whether this is regarding events or other important issues.

Doesn't that go with the job description??
    Also fixed that for you by the way.

I've got a lot of contacts in the drinks trade, and I'm going to use these to ensure that the hub keeps the success going. There is also a place for up and coming Bands and DJ's to showcase their talent in the old bar and the new bar can facilitate this.

Wasn't something similar said by a certain candidate last year??

• 24 hour lib! A recent survey I took of DCU students, they all suggested a 24 hour lib around exam time, for example trinity college has one and there is no reason why DCU can’t be the same.

They all suggested? That 100%? You think people are going to sleep all day and go to the library at night just because it's open 24 hours? How exactly do you see yourself proposing this?

"Well... Trinity have one, I think we should have one too!"

• Recycling, I want to keep recycling to the forefront. A cleaner Healthier DCU is better for us all.
    • Also I feel at the end of semester there should be a kind of end of semester festival, to increase the community spirt in college and create a better atmosphere and it will fill the gap of events left by the departure of the E&S society.

Sorry what?????
    E&S are gone about 3 weeks. How do you know there will be a big "gap" in end of semester events or downer on community spirit?

Maybe I missed something in the last couple of years! Did E&S orgainse the Summer Ball? I would think that's somewhat of an "end of semester festival" wouldn't you?

I thought the SU ran that! My bad.
    • Rag Week: DCU rag week has never lived up to its potential, everyone wants to go to Galway's etc. and I want our rag week to be up there with it. I want to make it more attractive and more fun and enjoyable for the students. Our rag week should be a success as it doesn't clash with exams or any other rag week. Rag week is about Charity lets not forget and we should make more than enough for such causes. I can ensure a fun filled rag week.

Well if our Raise and Give Week lives up to it's potential then you won't have to worry about it clashing with any other College's then. Everyone will want to be here.
    It is my aim to try and bring forward the Christmas exams to December. DCU is one of the very few colleges who have exams in January. I feel that this is putting unfair pressure on the students – they are unable to enjoy their holidays.

How accurate is your aim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭goodgodholmes

Thought I'd post my manifesto in full here rather than just linking to the website!

MANIFESTO

Introduction

Hello, my name is Maeve McQuillan, and I am running for the position of Campaigns and Information Officer in the upcoming Students’ Union elections, taking place on April 6th and 7th.
    The role of the Campaigns and Information Officer, only in its fourth year, is still slightly undefined. Most people are aware of the roles of the President and the Education and Welfare officers, yet remain unsure what exactly it is the Campaigns and Information Officer does. It is, however, an absolutely integral part of the Union’s operations. The Campaigns and Information officer is the link between the Executive and the general student body.
    I believe that I have the experience, the drive, and the personality that makes me the best candidate for this position. From my first year in DCU, I have been extremely involved in student life, being very active in societies (sitting on two committees), and more recently, in the Union, as Class Rep, when I sat on Union Council. This year, I sat on the Office of Student Life Committee, the committee that oversees not only the Sports Clubs Committee and the Societies and Publications Committee, but the Students Union as well.
    My manifesto is based on your ideas, your concerns, and what the Students’ Union campaigns have done, and can do, for you. Having done a cross-faculty survey of public opinion of the Union, I noticed several positive, and several negative answers about the Union’s presence and campaigns seemed to be consistent across the campus, with patterns also emerging on a faculty by faculty level. My manifesto raises many new ideas, all of which I believe are achievable in one term of office. I have thought about it at length, and believe that it is much more effective to produce a clear, feasible manifesto with a well-thought out plan of action, rather than one which makes unreasonable promises. I want to be elected so I can properly implement my ideas and plans for the position, not because I made wonderful promises I couldn’t keep. The student body are wise enough to know what is achievable, and what would really benefit the Union ad the student body. I know that my new ideas for the position of Campaigns and Information officer will improve the way the Union communicates with the student body on a day-to-day basis.
    It is my belief that DCU, due to its’ small size and communal feel, has the potential to have a real impact on its’ students lives and development, both during their time here at the University, and long afterwards. The Students’ Union is important, and all elected representatives, from Sabbatical Officers down to Class Reps, have an impact every single day on the way the University is run. The Students’ Union Executive act as the voices of the student body. Therefore, it is crucial that in order for each and every student to get the most out of their time at the University, they must know how they are being represented, how to get involved in University life, and that the Union supports them. It is vital that this message transcends the entire student body. When you read through my manifesto, you will see that it contains strategic ideas on how the Union’s presence, and indeed, their campaigns and their information, can penetrate each and every faculty here in DCU in new and improved ways, as well as ideas on how to define the role of the Campaigns and Information Officer itself. There are many issues that need to be addressed if the Union are to reduce the feeling of apathy towards life in DCU that exists among some students, and is rife in some faculties.

New and Improved Campaigns
    Over my time in DCU, there have been some great ideas for Students’ Union campaigns, being both extremely relevant to students’ lives, and providing useful information to the student body. Having observed the Union’s campaigns as a member of the student body, I felt that some campaigns were more relevant to students than others, and that some campaign messages made greater impact on the student body than others. It is my aim to ensure that all campaigns chosen reflect the lives and needs and DCU’s students, and that they have maximum impact on the student body.
    In particular, I feel that SHAG week is especially important, and that more of an emphasis should be placed on this week, as the issue of sexual health is so relevant to students, with fun events, like Kama Sutra workshops, as well as the practical elements, such as free STI testing.
    These more interactive means of reaching the student body would apply across the year (eg. Financial management and planning workshops during Budget Week, a gay night during LGBT week, to name a few obvious examples).
    Generally speaking, I think that clubs and societies should be invited to take part in SU campaigns more. If the Union are proactive in coming up with ways for clubs and societies to get involved with the weekly campaigns, more of a buzz will be made across campus. There has been a greater marriage between Union campaigns and society life this year, with a hugely successful Arts Week involving societies, as well as many societies putting on events for Please Talk week, but I know that, if clubs, societies and Union events become even more intertwined, the Union’s campaigns will have far more impact on the student body as a whole, by proxy of these smaller C&S events, than they would if they stood alone.
    Although there is already an annual tradition of the SCC holding a Sports Day, I believe this should be made into a prominent Union campaign – a Health and Sports Week, wherein students are encouraged to take part in sports, with beginners training sessions, and incentives for clubs to get involved. Most students I asked had been interested in getting involved in sport when starting in DCU, but hadn’t really approached it yet. I think a sports week would really benefit the students and it might result in some people getting more involved in clubs in DCU, and ultimately increase health awareness in students.

New Media
    Having observed the Students Union’s campaigns throughout the last year, and having surveyed a sample of the student body, I have found that students feel the Union’s most effective way of communicating with the student body is through the Union magazine, Campus, and through the use of the Internet. The Union has done great work this year with the use of Facebook as a link to the student body. However, the campaign I, and a lot of my friends felt was most effective this year, was the Swine Flu campaign, wherein a viral rap video was released to the student body. The video spread through the university, catching the attention of 1,500 DCU students, and while the video was humourous, the Swine Flu prevention message was clear. At a time when YouTube is so enormously popular, the use of the viral video, in combination with the Facebook page, could really enhance the Union’s campaigns, especially if there was one for each campaign of the year. It would also allow the student body to see exactly what the SU are doing, and get a greater sense of the campaign’s message.
    If elected, I also plan to implement a tradition of video blogging through the SU Executive. I feel there is a lack of transparency in what the Union are doing sometimes, and often, the student body are not aware of how they are being represented by their Union at meetings between the Union and DCU staff. If the Executive reported on how they represented the students, non-confidential issues raised, and how they were working towards a solution, in video blog form, the students would be a lot more aware of what was going on, especially if the video blog was shared via Facebook and not just through life.dcu.ie. This purpose could also be served by a Union blog, which could work alongside the videos, however, I believe that the student body are more likely to engage with a video than with a written blog.
    The increased use of Facebook and other social networking sites has done wonders for the Union this year, but I believe next year it will be time to take another step towards increasing the transparency of the Union. YouTube is as successful as it is because people engage so well with video, and I think this is the direction the Union’s campaigns and communications need to take.

Better Cross-Faculty Communications
    Earlier in the semester, I conducted a survey across campus, in all faculties, to see what the perception of the Union was across the general student body, and in each faculty. I noticed a trend emerging at a faculty-by-faculty level, and it gave me a good insight into what faculties believe they are under-represented, and what faculties feel that the Union’s campaigns do not reach their buildings. As Campaigns and Information Officer, I plan to ensure that, with the help of the Education and Welfare Officer and the Faculty Convenors, that all Union campaigns transcend the campus in the way they rightfully should. There seems to be a sense of apathy about the Union in some faculties moreso than others, and it is my aim to generate interest and excitement about the Union’s campaigns, to make students in every faculty feel that the Union is open for them, should they choose to get involved, and make the Union more accessible for students whose faculty buildings are located further away from The Hub.
    In both the Humanities and Business faculties, students typically tend to feel that the Union’s presence is quite visible in their faculty, as I found from my surveys (perhaps due to proximity to the Hub). I know that, as a Humanities student, I have always been aware what was going on with the Union, what campaign the Union were running that week, and who I could contact if I ever needed help from the Union officers. However, I believe there are more interactive ways that students can receive campaigns in DCU. From the surveys, students in both the Humanities and Business faculties seem to like the idea of interactive Union events, applying to weekly campaigns. I believe that if the Union were to heavily publicise interactive campaign events (e.g. free sexual health screening during SHAG week), they would be more likely to capture the attention of Humanities students who are not as involved in student life in DCU. For this reason, I believe campaign-related events are the best way to engage with Humanities and Business students.
    In my survey, I found that, predominantly, Science & Health and Engineering & Computing students felt there was a need for Union campaigns geared at helping them in their academic progress in college. This was also quite common in Business and Humanities. One of my plans, should I take office, is to introduce a union run campaign that aims to support and develop students academia. I propose surveying students to find out the educational elements relative to their future career path, that they feel their course doesn’t offer. This would mean the implementation of an educational support campaign in conjunction with the Education and Welfare officer, where the Union can reach out to students, or students can come to the Students Union and voice their concerns about their course material. In turn the union would look at the situation and suggest structural change to the programme board of that faculty. Also, extra tutorials relating to the aspects that classes feel are lacking in their course could be organized and introduced by the union should it not be considered by the faculty school.
    Running a campaign like this early in the year will build up students’ trust of the Union, making them more inclined to be interested in future Union campaigns. Of course, if this educational support campaign was successful it could be repeated throughout the year. This campaign, with the Education and Welfare Officer’s commitment and support, would aim to not only enhance students’ education, but also to develop a positive relationship between the Union and the student body throughout the year, and make those students in all faculties, even those not traditionally heavily involved with Union life (e.g. Nursing students, who have heavy INTRA placement schedules, that don’t allow much involvement in the Union), know that the Union can have a real impact, not only on their lives at the college, but potentially on their education as well. It would make these students more responsive to Union campaigns in the future also.
    In order for students to truly be represented at Union Council, at class level, and at faculty level, and in order for Union feedback to properly reach every student, it is vital that Class Reps attend Union Council. I aim to run a better campaign in favour of attendance at every individual Union Council, by offering better incentives (such as more Class Rep parties, with free food and beer, for active Class Reps). I will really push attendance at Union Council, and will emphasise the importance of Class Reps feeding Union Council proceedings back to their classes, and making sure their classes’ opinions on Union Council matters are collected and heard.

Role Transition – Changing the Role
    This year, the Union Executive decided to review the Union Constitution, and as part of the Constitutional Review, it was decided that some of the roles on the Executive were either not needed, or else needed to be refined or changed. While the changes will not affect the 2010/2011 Executive, it will, (pending a referendum), come into effect for the 2011/2012 year. The change in the roles directly affects the Campaigns and Information Officer, and will see the position shift away from the poster design element of the job, and more towards actual internal communication between the Union and the student body, and with other Students’ Unions nationally, through the Forum of University Students’ Unions (FUSU). I believe this will be a positive change for the position, as it will allow the Union’s campaigns to transcend the campus far more, as the Officer will have more time to be creative and plan campaign-related events.
    However, even though the changes technically will not be in place by next year, I think it is important that the last person to take the office of Campaigns and Information makes the transition as seamless as possible, and begins building better relations with other Unions throughout the country, as liaison with other Unions will make up a large amount of the job definition, should the referendum be passed. I plan to begin the process of spending more time looking out for students’ interests and involvement in the Union, rather than poster-making, by spending most of my time campaigning for the students in the ways outlined above (eg. through online video, more interactive campaigns, etc.) Of course, the design element will be part of the job also, but I don’t believe it is of high enough importance to take up a large amount of an SU officer’s time.
    I plan to push the Executive away from the offices, and around the campus meeting people, even more so than has been done this year, so that the Union is felt even more strongly all over campus. I think, ideally, all of the Executive should always be seen to be seen at society events and across the campus, in the bar, and at social events, so they can properly mingle with DCU students all of the time, and make them more secure in the knowledge that their Union are always around to help them.

Conclusion
    The Union is about representing you, the student. I want to do these things for you, because I know the potential DCU holds to bring out the best in people, not only during their time here, but afterwards. I know that many students in DCU feel alienated from the college, and I believe that I not only have the ideas to change some of this mentality, but the drive, diligence, Union and society experience, and capacity to put my ideas and plans into realistic action if elected. I know I am the right person to improve the way the Union campaign and communicate with the student body, and I hope my manifesto has shown you that too.
    This is why I need your vote on April 6th and 7th. Vote Maeve McQuillan number 1, for a better Campaigns and Information office.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

Surely manifestos should be made in a separate thread as opposed to posted in discussion threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭lithiumoxide

DCU lacks community spirit and a sense of pride that other colleges have, it is my aim to engage all groups and schools and develop a community in DCU, through hosting social events for all throughout the year. Its your college, Enjoy it.

This is a bit vague. "Engage all groups and schools"? Surely this is already catered for with the numerous balls and events on and off campus throughout the year?
    DCU needs an injection of atmosphere into its campus and its events; this will be my primary aim as president. For the past three years I have been at the forefront of planning successful events such as the GAA Mystery Tour. DCU's largest Mystery Tour. I want the students to have a President that’s main focus is the students happiness and give them a student’s union that hears students voices and gets tangible results.

Student happiness and welfare is certainly very admirable, and should, of course, be a concern for any SU President. But happiness via events and mystery tours? You need to understand that large social events like these only cater for a certain fraction of the student population. A lot of the population will have no interest in such events, no interest in (possibly) alcohol-related events, and therefore will have no interest in you.
    If elected as DCU’s next president I would ensure that the student’s union focus remains on its students. I will be a president that stays in tune with what the students want whether this is regarding events or other important issues.

This point, although well-meaning, is unnecessary: the SU Exec and its President has a mandate to focus on students, by its very nature. We can assume that all candidates have the same intents in mind.
    I also feel that it is important that the students have the chance to voice their opinions on whatever they wish and that these suggestions are not just read, but actively taken on board.

Again, this is part of a democratically elected Union Exec. It's expected, and not something that should be a "selling point" of your manifesto.
    Here are some of my aims
    • Campus Bar: The bar was a success this year, and I'm going to do my best to keep that going. I've got a lot of contacts in the drinks trade, and I'm going to use these to ensure that the hub keeps the success going. There is also a place for up and coming Bands and DJ's to showcase their talent in the old bar and the new bar can facilitate this.

Fair play. The bars have seen their ups and downs in the past number of years; it'd be good to see more activity in them. Remember that as President you need to exhibit a responsible attitude to a dangerous drug. You also need to ensure that non-drinkers have as much enjoyment from events as drinkers do. I'd like to see talent show their stuff around DCU a lot more. What about using the green areas during warmer days? Or the Interfaith Centre? Or even a lunchtime gig in the canteen? Why focus on bands? Why not try comedians and other acts?
    • 24 hour lib! A recent survey I took of DCU students, they all suggested a 24 hour lib around exam time, for example trinity college has one and there is no reason why DCU can’t be the same.

You need to back this up. Why can it be the same? Will the SU pay staff to work in the Library after-hours? Will the income from opening overnight cover the costs of doing so? A survey is good: how many people did you survey? And what schools were they from? In what was is TCD like and unlike DCU?
    • Recycling, I want to keep recycling to the forefront. A cleaner Healthier DCU is better for us all.

Can't argue there. A few more "green bins/skips" around campus would be good. How do you intend to do this? How will the SU tender for such contracts?
    • Also I feel at the end of semester there should be a kind of end of semester festival, to increase the community spirt in college and create a better atmosphere and it will fill the gap of events left by the departure of the E&S society .

Like the Summer Ball? When I was an undergrad in DCU, E&S did very little, from what I saw, in organising large events. There were plenty of other socs to help run them, as well as the SU. Also, E&S was disbanded very recently. Can you provide stats and info on this "gap of events" you refer to?

A word of warning: the SU *must* be separate to goals and aims of an individual society or club. Certainly, some members of clubs and socs will have the know-how and experience to go for SU positions. But do not run for an SU position if you are basing your manifesto or goals on those of a club or soc. I'm not saying you are doing this, but it should be something all candidates for any position keep in mind.
    • Printing/Colour Printers. One thing students mentioned to me was that printing costs are still very high. There is a need for more Colour Printers on campus, there should be seperate colour printers used just for colour printing on their own so anyone who is not printing in colour can’t sit there.

Huh?
    • Rag Week: DCU rag week has never lived up to its potential, everyone wants to go to Galway's etc. and I want our rag week to be up there with it. I want to make it more attractive and more fun and enjoyable for the students. Our rag week should be a success as it doesn't clash with exams or any other rag week. Rag week is about Charity lets not forget and we should make more than enough for such causes. I can ensure a fun filled rag week.

How can you ensure this?

Many SU candidates have promised this and very few have succeeded. How will you be different?
    It is my aim to try and bring forward the Christmas exams to December. DCU is one of the very few colleges who have exams in January. I feel that this is putting unfair pressure on the students – they are unable to enjoy their holidays.

Interesting. Personally, I'd like to see how this fares. What's the timescale for this? How many years can we expect to see this in? What other third level institutes use this model? And are they based in semesters or trimesters? Are you planning to alter the dates of exams or the entire academic year?
    I feel most of these aims are very achievable and are not unrealistic and I will do my best to get them.

I don't doubt you will try, but I feel they are quite unrealistic, at least in how you present them at the moment. What's your current relationship with the internal management of DCU? Do you know how many companies operate within DCU? What's your understanding of the SPC, SCC, and SU? What about the SFC? Do you know much about the employment agreements of staff in DCU? Unions? Employment agreements? The public sector?

Looking forward to your reply.

Conor

Interesting. Personally, I'd like to see how this fares. What's the timescale for this? How many years can we expect to see this in? What other third level institutes use this model? And are they based in semesters or trimesters? Are you planning to alter the dates of exams or the entire academic year?

That aim of his is a pipe dream nothing more.

If we are to assume we would still get a 2 week study period (which I think most students would demand) then the academic calendar would need to be entirely reworked. Semester one would need to start sometime in September.

Secondly, with no exams we'd return to college earlier for semester two (a 4+ week break would be unnecessary) and the summer exams would then be earlier also.

He proposes changing the dates of just the Christmas exams, but what it really entails is a massive restructuring of the academic calendar, it's impossible otherwise. I'd really like to hear how he plans on going about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭MonaghanPenguin

robby^5 wrote: »
    That aim of his is a pipe dream nothing more.

If we are to assume we would still get a 2 week study period (which I think most students would demand) then the academic calendar would need to be entirely reworked. Semester one would need to start sometime in September.

Secondly, with no exams we'd return to college earlier for semester two (a 4+ week break would be unnecessary) and the summer exams would then be earlier also.

He proposes changing the dates of just the Christmas exams, but what it really entails is a massive restructuring of the academic calendar, it's impossible otherwise. I'd really like to hear how he plans on going about this.

For all sorts of reasons DCU is currently looking at the Academic Calendar with half a mind to massive changes, half a mind to keeping it as it is. The problem for everyone though is that opinion is pretty much divided 50/50 between everyone over whether exams should be before or after Christmas.

Come get your 'Vote Collie' wristband and flyer from my campaign team or I during the week

The flyer is an invitation and concession to a massive Vote Collie Campaign Party next Tues 6th of April at Concrete Jungle at The Marquee. (Champagne reception/VIP area/2e drinks for all DCU students)

'VOTE COLLIE FOR YOUR CAMPAIGNS AND INFORMATION OFFICER DCU 2010'

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

Come get your 'Vote Collie' wristband and flyer from my campaign team or I during the week

The flyer is an invitation and concession to a massive Vote Collie Campaign Party next Tues 6th of April at Concrete Jungle at The Marquee. (Champagne reception/VIP area/2e drinks for all DCU students)

'VOTE COLLIE FOR YOUR CAMPAIGNS AND INFORMATION OFFICER DCU 2010'

Those aren't creme eggs at all!!!

seems like david is the only real person for president, cillian for vice and I don't like either running for campaigns. Always fun to read the election threads though ^^

• Advertisement

For all sorts of reasons DCU is currently looking at the Academic Calendar with half a mind to massive changes, half a mind to keeping it as it is. The problem for everyone though is that opinion is pretty much divided 50/50 between everyone over whether exams should be before or after Christmas.

Aye, some people really dont like having exams lingering over them during Christmas. I like the way it is as we get a huge amount of time for study, and can comfortably take a week off for Christmas/New Years still leaving weeks to study for the exams.

His aims are just very vague, like fair enough some people dont like Christmas exams in January but tell us how exactly you plan to go about changing things, it would be a pretty big effort as far as I can see and would take well over a year or more to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

OrionsBelt wrote: »
    can you vote without a student card. i lost mine awhile back

YES - you need a student card.

YES - you need a student card.

not really, if you just give them your student number, your student card picture comes up when they put it on the system so you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

not really, if you just give them your student number, your student card picture comes up when they put it on the system so you should be ok.

Is that functionality still there? I thought it was removed for security purposes.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Is that functionality still there? I thought it was removed for security purposes.

no, it was taken from Redbrick but for internal DCU functions it should still be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

If elected as DCU’s next president I would ensure that the student’s union focus remains on its students.
    I think you will find that most SU's main focus is on students. The biggest problem is that many focus on a small subset of students within their circle or their particular societies so how would you branch out and reach other sectors? Ones that don't know, like or want to go on your "GAA Mystery Tour's"?
    Recycling, I want to keep recycling to the forefront. A cleaner Healthier DCU is better for us all.
    Nice bull**** current issues ****e. From what I remember there is recycling on Rez, paper bins and normal bins for students rubbish. From what I do remember many students in DCU fail to be able to put their rubbish in a bin let alone divide it up between paper and plastics etc. I would agree that DCU should put inplace a broader selection of bins to try and encourage more recycling where possible around the campus (in places its not allready in) but this is quite pointless when its the attitude of the students that need to change.
    Also I feel at the end of semester there should be a kind of end of semester festival, to increase the community spirt in college and create a better atmosphere
    Like the Summer Ball? Or has that been cancelled in dcu? Maybe the Golden Circle of E&S could do another Anglo Irish on the college.

Rag Week: DCU rag week has never lived up to its potential, everyone wants to go to Galway's etc. and I want our rag week to be up there with it. I want to make it more attractive and more fun and enjoyable for the students. Our rag week should be a success as it doesn't clash with exams or any other rag week. Rag week is about Charity lets not forget and we should make more than enough for such causes. I can ensure a fun filled rag week.
    I don't see issue with the current Rag Week. Its about charity and getting students to give a little where they can not about spending lots of raised money to just have a good piss up session E&S. If you don't think people are giving ENOUGH then you need to look at student apathy and morals not what fun filled boozing events are organised. There are enough people taking time out of their week to go around with buckets collecting for students to give.
    I don't like this. I actually much preferred the extra time over the holidays to study and continue working on projects etc. If your feeling too much pressure over the holiday it obviously means you spent too much time on mystery GAA trips and not doing constant study throughout the semester. Why do you think you should be able to enjoy your holidays off over christmas too? College is suppose to prepare you for the real world and in the real world you don't get 2 months off to sit around the house doing nothing. You get 2 days off and back into work. DCU system although is different to others has some very good advantages in that it does teach students to break out from their old school holidays and DO work when they may not want to. Welcome to the real world. Bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

As soon as any candidate compares any of their plans to E&S they have immediately lost my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Hewhodares

Lads ye are kinda being harsh on Hughes just coz he plays GAA. He makes some good points especially about rag week and lack of decent events like. The library open 24 hours is a good idea - i know a load a people who've done plenty all nighters to finish assignments.

To be fair E&S used have FM104 and XXI's Dj's playing music outside the hub generating an atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mossy123

wow...since when has everybody become an expert in the area of student union!!

i think the postings regarding the candidate ciaran hughes are severly unfair! i know him only through passing and he is a very welcoming person.
    The president represents the students....he talks for us. currently i cannot see myself approaching either other two of the candidates concerning any problems that i come in counter with (having met them briefly throughout my studies in dcu). the student body want their president to be approachable and to talk on the same level as you - they are not a superior of yours! ciaran hughes in my opinion is perfect for this.

with regards to referring to him on the same page as mort is a complete and utter joke. and titling him as a gaa head is unfair.....is meg branded "drama girl" or dave "red brick boy"!! just because you are heavily involved in a society it shouldnt tarnish your name. ciaran too is chairman of gaa i believe so he knows the involvings of committees!!

give the guy a break!

we want a funner and more buzzed up dcu don't we?? ciaran most certainly gets my vote!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mossy123

also.... ciaran is not saying that he was one of the "typical" e&s heads....he is pointing out the fact that everyone has at the tip of their tongue but is afraid to say.....e&s created a buzz...we need to get this buzz back!!

Advertisement