Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Elections

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Daisy888

the constant criticism of Ciaran Hughes above is unfair, give the boy a proper chance! ok he may not know the in's and out's of the SU but not many of us do, he must be willing to learn if hes running for the position.

I want the SU president to be approachable, and I dont want to feel intimidated by some one that im meant to be able to go for for help. Nudie Hughes is well known around DCU campus and has friends from all years in all different societies. He is not your typical GAA player and its unfair to stereotype him as one. He is as far away from Mort as you can get.

i don't agree with what E&S done either, but i understand what Ciaran is saying. Bring some of the fun back to DCU!
    the events this year have been a flop. the rag ball was a disaster and none of the rest of the balls stood out! the Halloween ball was a mess with bus's arriving late and people being left behind. and that was to a venue in Dublin. Ciaran organised a tour to Monaghan that was a success and one of the only events worth talking about this year. I am not a member of the GAA society, yet i felt comfortable going to this event. I wasnt invading a clique.

He is chairperson of the GAA and it is DCU's largest society., he has the capability of running a large organisation and listening to what people want. He is not running as a joke and he will not see his position as one if he elected. I can say this with 100% confidence.

Give everyone a chance to have their say. I have no doubt that Ciaran will do everything he can to inject some life into DCU and take all his other duties seriously as well.

And no this isnt Ciaran under another account before someone accuses me of it!..He does have supporters who believe in him and his goals. and they arent all part of one society or group in DCU.

Nudie Hughes deserves as much of a chance as anyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Pfft, I've never seen Dave log into #lobby once. No way can anyone consider him a "Redbrick boy".

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

mossy123 wrote: »
    we want a funner and more buzzed up dcu don't we?? ciaran most certainly gets my vote!!!
    I'd rather a well functioning college whose primary purpose is education, not a place to get pissed every week, crazy I know

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

and nobody is saying Ciaran doesnt have that opinion either...

but we all need a little fun!

all work and no play makes jack a dull boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

wow...since when has everybody become an expert in the area of student union!!
    This may be your first time involved with a student election but I can guarantee you that people on here have been involved and through more of them then your wildest and wettest dreams have been through bed sheets. People here have a detailed knowledge of the position and what it can and cannot achieve from the outset.
    i know him only through passing
    I somehow beg to disagree, you appear to have a detailed knowledge of him and his history. A lot more than a someone would had they only met them 'thorugh passing'.

currently i cannot see myself approaching either other two of the candidates concerning any problems that i come in counter with (having met them briefly throughout my studies in dcu).
    Daisy888 wrote: »
    I dont want to feel intimidated by some one that im meant to be able to go for for help
    Many people feel the opposite and having met the current SU president many times in the past he is most welcoming. Have you ever thought your inabilities to approach them may be centric to just yourselves? Emailing him or going in to met him and overcoming your fear would be a great start.

mort
    3ef2be32b0d6927a.jpg
    meg
    megWOOHOTT.jpg

we want a funner and more buzzed up dcu don't we??
    I'd rather a dcu which students had a fun time while being both responsible and achieving their potential.
    Daisy888 wrote:
    He is chairperson of the GAA and it is DCU's largest society.
    I thought they were a club?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

The guy running for SU president is a real gangsta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Kevilikeit

I must say this is the first year I've properly followed the elections and its pretty interesting.

This might be off the topic of berating candidates but does anybody know any way of voting without physically being in DCU?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Insulting_Bitch

When will people, especially candidates, realise that boards is the worst place to try and poach votes?

Expect some flack if people are using screen names.

Don't like it, don't post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

i don't agree with what E&S done either, but i understand what Ciaran is saying. Bring some of the fun back to DCU!

This week alone I was at the battle of the bands, a pub quiz then off to the nubar (which was very busy both nights), the c&s awards are tonight and I'm also attending a 24 hour event on campus at the weekend.

You are your ilk (the "waaaah waaaah DCU is boring and not fun" crowd) seem to be the only people not having fun, plenty of us are having a grand auld time...maybe we have different expectations of what fun is. How about you elaborate, what could an SU president do to bring back the fun? Specifically I mean, not just "better events".

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

As soon as any candidate compares any of their plans to E&S they have immediately lost my vote.

Hey, let's hear him out first. If he gets the SU to start offering me some nice discount trips to Budapest to fill the gap left by E&S, then maybe I'll start taking him more seriously :)

• Advertisement

robby^5 wrote: »
    You are your ilk (the "waaaah waaaah DCU is boring and not fun" crowd) seem to be the only people not having fun, plenty of us are having a grand auld time...maybe we have different expectations of what fun is. How about you elaborate, what could an SU president do to bring back the fun? Specifically I mean, not just "better events".

I would love to see an answer to this one.

There is nothing stopping students also having their own fun, I don't see why specifically the SU has to create it with X amount of societies/clubs all doing many great events. Sure the SU have the ability to put on a higher profile/larger event than clubs/socs but it's really up to the students attending if they have a good night or not. Can you not create your own craic in the pub or in an apartment with cans? If you cant then your obviously no fun at all so no SU can help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

he may not know the in's and out's of the SU !

...and yet he's running for president of it? How is he supposed to do that job if he doesn't know what it entails?

I'm all for new people getting involved and all, but maybe he should consider running for class rep or convenor first. Build up some experience, learn how things work, and then run for president in a year or two.

Also, I have a great time around DCU and don't understand what you mean by this lack of "buzz." There's things on every night. GamesSoc's meetings, Artsoc's workshops, Table Quizzes, Music Soc's events in the bar and venue, Drama's plays. I don't know what else I could want.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

As Chair of one of the larger societies - this year there was literal no communication between ourselves and the SU regarding an event relevant to us, Nor where we aware that it was even running until it was announced to the general Student body.

Part of that event should have realistically been run by us, so I got in contact with the SU when I got wind of this event. However the SU only made contact 2 DAYS before the event and only then officially asked for our help. They had original asked someone in their “loop” to run the event – which obviously wasn’t enough as we where unaware that anything was happening. This really wasnt the SU fault - it was the middle mans, however if they made a proper attempt to contact us this could had been avoided.

The reason I think there was a lack of communication and the wrong channels where used was because neither me nor none of my committee know any of the SU members – even thought we run weekly events in DCU’s Hub.

Also, this year we ran a fundraiser for RAG week and raised 400 euro – this was at the request of the SU – however after 4 weeks the money was never collected, I had to make the SU aware that they never collected the money. I realise that we could have wrote the cheque from the start and handed it in– but surely the SU shouldn’t forget about such a large amount of money without being prompted. How much more money is left to be collected for RAG week?

My point here is, and there is one: Next year our committee will be formed by 2nd years that don’t know any members of the SU– I hope they can avoid some of the ball breaking we have endured this year. I would propose that SU members attend society and club events and actually talk to the students who don’t get in involved in College life besides from there society and club activities.

We have a student from China doing a post grad here – he doesn’t know anyone outside his course or our society – I suggest a member of the SU come ask him what he thinks DCU SU can do better as I’m sure nobody has asked him that before!

None the less I have full faith that David can do a good job next year – He is the most competent guy I’ve seen running for SU in my 4 years here.

and nobody is saying Ciaran doesnt have that opinion either...

but we all need a little fun!

all work and no play makes jack a dull boy!

All play and no work makes Jack a complete moron who can't put two and two together, but why am I not surprised that I find myself saying this?

The SU don't have a monopoly on fun in DCU. What can we expect if Ciarán is elected? The Fun Police patrolling campus to ensure people only enjoy SU-organised events?

"I see you are engaging in unauthorised mirth. Papers please, citizen."

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:
    mossy123 wrote:
    also.... ciaran is not saying that he was one of the "typical" e&s heads....he is pointing out the fact that everyone has at the tip of their tongue but is afraid to say.....e&s created a buzz...we need to get this buzz back!!

Does everyone really have this at the tips of their tongues? What a bizarre society they must have been...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Am I the only one to not notice any difference since E&S went? You'd swear they were running the college from the sound of some people

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Carri

Am I the only one to not notice any difference since E&S went? You'd swear they were running the college from the sound of some people

Tbh I joined E&S at the start of the year and never recieved one email. Waste of my money..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I don't even really know what e&s were... they seem to have this weird image of themselves as supreme overlords of DCU or something if this thread is anything to go by though

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

phasers wrote: »
    I don't even really know what e&s were... they seem to have this weird image of themselves as supreme overlords of DCU or something if this thread is anything to go by though

In my eyes they just tricked all the first years to join every year.
    Discount card, goodie bag and being told they were the biggest soc and had loads of awesome events would get anyone who didn't know better to join.
    clubs and socs day happens in week 2 so first years wouldn't have had time to hear about them before it was too late.

The loss of E&S hasn't affected anything in my eyes, just made the college view a must read for once, the facebook protest was also funny. :D

I will support bringing E&S back if every member of the other societys got funding for a trip to budapest. you want big fun events? why not send everyone in dcu to budapest?

on a serious note its weird that all the nudie supporters have ~1 post, I know most wouldn't have used boards before but it looks like he just found a proxy server and is running 5 accounts. Trying to make it look like he has loads of supporters. Defend yourself and your campaign and you may win votes or at least lose less.

Relax, I’m not picking apart anyone else’s campaign, I’m just saying that Ciaran deserves as much of a chance as anyone else running. He should be allowed have his say. If you are going to destroy his manifesto should you not be looking at the other candidates as well..?
    I am a new member to Boards, normally I would not be sitting on this but I disagreed with what you are sayin and so wanted to put across my opinion. This is not Ciaran under another account. I have no problem saying who I am if people are bothered enough.
    Did anyone else posting attend the hustings today? As you are all so passionate about this it seems that you will have and have seen Nudie speak. If not then you really don’t have a leg to stand on, don’t judge him or stereotype him before having spoken to him and seen the type of person he is. Nudies support group may not be active members of Boards but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a support system that will canvas for him and get out and vote for him!
    It takes courage and guts to get up and run for a position when people think your a joke and not taking it seriously but that’s what Nudie is doing and he is serious about it. If you all care about the campaign and who wins this much you should at least speak to him and see what he’s about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Relax, I’m not picking apart anyone else’s campaign, I’m just saying that Ciaran deserves as much of a chance as anyone else running. He should be allowed have his say. If you are going to destroy his manifesto should you not be looking at the other candidates as well..?
    In what way is he getting less of a chance? He's being judged on the basis of his manifesto, in what way is this unfair? Are you just annoyed because there's less discussion or 'destruction' as you put it, of other manifestos? Because there may be a very good reason for that, if you look...
    Did anyone else posting attend the hustings today? As you are all so passionate about this it seems that you will have and have seen Nudie speak. If not then you really don’t have a leg to stand on, don’t judge him or stereotype him before having spoken to him and seen the type of person he is. Nudies support group may not be active members of Boards but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a support system that will canvas for him and get out and vote for him!
    I'd have to disagree (although I did attend hustings, myself). If (hypothetically) a manifesto is crap, it is not necessary to see someone speak in order to confirm your initial judgement. A good attitude, way of getting yourself across and approachability are all important, but, to use a terrible pun, it takes more than a hustler to make a good president. You need to have the ideas as well, which, if present, would be in the manifesto.
    It takes courage and guts to get up and run for a position when people think your a joke and not taking it seriously but that’s what Nudie is doing and he is serious about it. If you all care about the campaign and who wins this much you should at least speak to him and see what he’s about.

Perhaps it does take courage and guts, I'd say it's debatable but more than that it's irrelevant. It is not our job to interrogate candidates, it is their job to convince us. The whole point of the manifestos, hustings, debates etc is that we judge the candidates. It doesn't make sense to get annoyed when this judgement occurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Setitstraight10

I'm not an E&S head, I'm not in dance, I'm not in drama, I'm not a Red Brick guy, I'm actually not an active member of any DCU club or society or click! I am however a friend and supporter of Ciaran Nudie Hughes for president.

Irishboy
    I would like to point out I just set up my account on this to defend whats been said here about Ciaran Hughes. :D Nudie could not be arsed setting up multiple accounts. He has more to be doing!!

Sciencenerd.. You want a "well functioning college whose primary purpose is education, not a place to get pissed every week"... well then consider voting Ciaran "Nudie" Hughes. Nudie is not an e&s head and he is not your typical "footballer". He is honest, likable, approachable and well known. And as most of you on this do not seem to know a thing about him let me add he rarely "gets pissed" due to football commitments and when he does drink its a joke with his friends that hes gone on three drinks. Ciaran cares about DCU and his friends and contacts he has made here. He is very level headed and as he is graduating this year he will know first hand what WE want education wise. He wants to take on the role of being OUR voice so give him a chance? That is what we need when it comes to SU representation. People need to be able to approach the SU as they are there to be our voice.

Winters.. most people don't seem to have your level of experience in these election. I wonder who you could be , as someone on here attacking current candidates. Iv been in this college 4 years and have seen different presidents come and go. Are you perhaps someone with detailed knowledge of the SU and what WE want from DCU? If so .. why dont you run for president. You seem to have plenty to say on the internet?

Robby^5 how long have you been in DCU? As a matter of interest? DCU should be a place that first years come and feel welcomed. That they are invited to join into every event. As a first year I knew no one when i started. I started in 2006 and in my opinion the SU where amazing that year. I met the SU people purely from them always smiling and saying hello to when you met them about campus. Have I ever since then been spoken to be a SU member? No! But I can look back on those FUN days in DCU and remember how welcoming the union were.

I would also like to point out who organised carol singing outside Spar and in the Hub two days running around Christmas time in aid of Unicef? Nudie Hughes and charitable friends of his from the DCU football team. They collected over 500 euro. What was the purpose of that? To be nice!!!!! Was it Raise and Give week?? NO! Simply a charitable act around Christmas. Nobody asked them to do so!! He didn't even use it as a plug in his speech!! Nudie is a nice genuine caring person so give him a chance to show you what he is worth!!!!!!

Green Hand Guy .... everyones got to start somewhere!! Will you walk into a job interview in the near future and say "oh i know the ins and outs of your business down to the ground.. i know axactly how things go around here... i know t all" ....?? No???? Just graduated?? Minimal experience?? I expect so... Looking for someone to give you a break??? Exactly!!!!! Give him a chance. He has valid resons to run for president. He is well known, he is a team player, he is an excellent people person, he is experienced in event management, he works as a coach... what more do you want??

Lastly, I want to say Nudie is who I chose to support. I have met Megan on a few occasions and I think she is an excellent competitor who is also a well known face around DCU. From the speeches I have to say I am very impressed with David. I think everyone can agree with me when I say I wouldn't like a personal attack on me posted on the internet. So lets keep this fair for everyone involved as it takes courage to run for SU president and real commitment!!!!!!!!

Good luck to all three candidates!! I know all three have the colleges best interests at heart both educationally and socially. :):):):)

I cannot wait for some hater to come rip this apart. Its inevitable. Guess theses nothing good on tv tonight!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Winters..
    You obviously have no idea who you're talking to there then.
    Robby^5

Robby's been here damn well long enough to know what it takes to be the SU president! That much is really all you need to know.

The vast majority of people here on this board are active members in DCU societies and have picked up their fair share of what it generally takes to be on the SU from being around in the Clubs and Socs offices so much. Where as from the sounds of things everyone else is jumping on someone's bandwagon.

This vote is no contest. David Doyle knows what he is talking about, knows what the position entails, and knows generally what needs to be done during the next presidential term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Setitstraight10

Chris, I doubt David wants a bunch of yobs attacking other people who are trying to voice their opinion then connecting him name (or more so tarnishing his name) by association. I actually think I might approach him for his opinion on the topic, seems like a level headed person, I'm sure he'd like to be in the know.

And no, I have no idea who any of the people on this are. It's anonymous and a discussion board on the internet????? Not a book club in someones bloody living room!!!!! :P

Great response though. Hater number 1. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Robby^5 how long have you been in DCU? As a matter of interest? DCU should be a place that first years come and feel welcomed. That they are invited to join into every event. As a first year I knew no one when i started. I started in 2006 and in my opinion the SU where amazing that year.

I've been in DCU longer than you. Subsequent SU's were FAR more approachable than the SU you speak of. Also how exactly are first years not invited to current SU events? I would think they'd be the ones most excited about attending the big SU events. In fact anything with alcohol is sure to draw a first year crowd, so what point are you trying to make here? Have this years SU done something wrong in regards first years?
    I met the SU people purely from them always smiling and saying hello to when you met them about campus. Have I ever since then been spoken to be a SU member? No! But I can look back on those FUN days in DCU and remember how welcoming the union were.

Yeah that stupid SU not smiling at you! They clearly cant do their jobs if they're not happy all the time! Maybe they just cannot be arsed smiling at everyone, honestly I know the SU you're talking about and your off your head if you think they acknowledged every person they happened to walk by.

What exactly is your point here? The SU dont smile enough?

I've been absolutely locked shouting quotes from Star Trek with an SU president in the C&S office and I dont even know him that well, that's pretty f*cking approachable imo. This years SU is no different, they're not hiding away from students, they're around all the time at events etc.
    I would also like to point out who organised carol singing outside Spar and in the Hub two days running around Christmas time in aid of Unicef? Nudie Hughes and charitable friends of his from the DCU football team. They collected over 500 euro. What was the purpose of that? To be nice!!!!! Was it Raise and Give week?? NO! Simply a charitable act around Christmas. Nobody asked them to do so!! He didn't even use it as a plug in his speech!! Nudie is a nice genuine caring person so give him a chance to show you what he is worth!!!!!!

Fair enough he's a nice bloke but what we're saying is he is not fit to be president. From what I have read he has absolutely no idea what the job entails and I sincerely hope he is not elected as I honestly think (without any bias as I am not an airsoft or Model UN person) that David Doyle is only candidate worth a dime. Hughes seems to look at the position as some sort of events officer, which is the complete opposite of what we want in an SU president. Read his college view piece, the lad has literally nothing to add to the position other than an ambition to run great events...which is great but he would be better suited in an events role, he would do well in that area if the rave reviews of GAA's events are true. But his manifesto comprises two generic aims that have nothing to do with current pressing matters (recycling and 24 hour library, nothing about fee's, national representation, parking spaces or anything truly affecting DCU students) ... then the rest of his points are all critical of how "fun" DCU is, which I really think is a terrible quality in a SU president. If you cant have fun without the SU organising everything for you, you're just not a very fun person.

Welcome to politics, criticism happens.

Here, even though I believe David Doyle has the most su experience etc. I dont think that that should be anything to do with it...we have seen this before and it means sweet shag all...if ya base it on policy, doyle seems to be edgin ahead but I don't think ya should rule out hughes - give the lad a chance...tis only a year anyways and for **** sake, no one will mention the su again til this time next year...lets get a good ed+welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭MonaghanPenguin

As a first year I knew no one when i started. I started in 2006 and in my opinion the SU where amazing that year. I met the SU people purely from them always smiling and saying hello to when you met them about campus. Have I ever since then been spoken to be a SU member? No! But I can look back on those FUN days in DCU and remember how welcoming the union were.

Ok I have taken a lot of criticism when I was pres and since then about a lot of things. Sometimes it's justified, sometimes it's not. But the idea I wasn't a good president or my SU weren't a good team because we didn't walk around campus smiling at everyone we met whether we knew them or not like a bunch of deranged idiots is without a doubt the weirdest criticism yet.
    Have you ever thought that the fact that the SU showed so much interest in you in first year was precisely for the reasons you mentioned, that you were in first year and didn't know anyone and needed a welcoming face, and that perhaps in subsequent years the exec were out there doing exactly that, making sure they got to know as many first years as possible so that they saw a welcoming face. There are ten thousand students in DCU, do you really expect that every SU officer is going to know all of them personally?

On the subject of these elections, I went into Hustings with a completely open mind, hadn't actually read any one's manifestos before hand. I am friends with a few candidates but that doesn't mean I'll vote for them, wanted to judge it on the speeches alone. In all but one race I'm now decided on who I'll be voting for. That race is still wide open to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Everyone should just pre-resign.

Winters.. most people don't seem to have your level of experience in these election. I wonder who you could be , as someone on here attacking current candidates. Iv been in this college 4 years and have seen different presidents come and go. Are you perhaps someone with detailed knowledge of the SU and what WE want from DCU? If so .. why dont you run for president. You seem to have plenty to say on the internet?
    I can't run for president following an "incident" that took place which has prohibited me from taking part in any SU elections. I have however been involved in campaigns on various levels and have seen, like you, the promise after promise, year after year that president hopefuls put out that is never achieved.

The main reason for these aims never being achieved is the fact that the vast majority of people who run, when you read their manifesto, have no real actual idea of achievable goals for the position. You can promise the sun, moon and stars to students, the vast majority of whom will believe it, but you must realise that the Office of The President Of The Student Union of Dublin City University does not wield a mega hammer of power and glory that can get things done overnight or even influence as much DCU policies or amenities as they so wish they could.

The first step of anyone being a good SU president is their manifesto being achievable, which requires a proper knowledge of the position they are running for and the abilities it has. So far, in the manifesto that has been the main topic of discussion here, a lot of it is not and the rest appears to be all smoke and mirrors bull**** to get votes so you can spend another year living the party college lifestyle instead of having to take a step into the big bad bold world where jobs are scarce and not as easy to come by as you were brought up to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

everyones got to start somewhere!! Will you walk into a job interview in the near future and say "oh i know the ins and outs of your business down to the ground.. i know axactly how things go around here... i know t all" ....?? No???? Just graduated?? Minimal experience?? I expect so... Looking for someone to give you a break??? Exactly!!!!! Give him a chance.

Would you walk into a job interview with no experience and ask to be made CEO of the company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Chris, I doubt David wants a bunch of yobs attacking other people who are trying to voice their opinion then connecting him name (or more so tarnishing his name) by association. I actually think I might approach him for his opinion on the topic, seems like a level headed person, I'm sure he'd like to be in the know.
    So now we're a bunch of yobs because we have a point, know what we're talking about and know what this position entails? We're not attacking other people, merely voicing our opinion's about your opinion, in a free and open environment.
    And no, I have no idea who any of the people on this are. It's anonymous and a discussion board on the internet????? Not a book club in someones bloody living room!!!!! :P
    Yet you don't seem to notice that other people in this thread have been around the forum longer than you, have more posts and generally post quite a good bit more in the forum than someone who has joined just to prove a point?

Advertisement