Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Elections

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Rosstafarian

I don't like the sound of this David Doyle chap at all. He sounds unsavory.

No disrespect to Ciarán but it doesn't sound like he is cut out to be President.

I'm voting Megan O' Riordan because she does everything else in DCU very well and I have no doubt that she'd be a great President.

Plus she's actually a nice person.

p.s. Just to clarify, for those people who get a bit excited when someone shows a little support for a candidate on this thread, I'm not on Megan's campaign team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Carri wrote: »
    I'd like to see more about the other people running.

Well as you asked so nicely, here, have a bit of balance =)

I'm David McMullin, running for the position of Engineering and Computing convenor, you can check out my manifesto if you like =)

I think people should vote for me because I know I'll have the time for the job. I was both a class rep and chair of the juggling society last year (my second year) and I still had time for stupid procrastination. As a class rep, I attended union council almost every week and (more importantly IMO) spoke to lecturers when myself and/or my class mates had problems, in one case taking issues to our convenor and the head of our school. (these were eventually resolved)

This year (my third year) I was not a class rep as I thought I wouldn't have enough time for the role with a bigger workload. I started off the year as the treasurer of the juggling society, however our chair had to step down for personal reasons halfway through the year so I am currently doing the work of both chair and treasurer. Even with this and an increased workload, finding a job for INTRA and trying to be active in various other clubs and societies, I still had time to procrastinate and missed doing the class rep job.

With this in mind, along with the fact that I have managed to find someone willing to look after jugglesoc for me next year =P I feel, despite the 4th year workload, I will have the time to listen to students from all three schools, take on their suggestions and requests, raise them at programme boards or with specific lecturers, and (of the utmost importance IMHO) inform students of the results.

As was suggested I think by one of the education and welfare candidates, I'd be very willing to sit in a lobby for an hour or two every week, accepting suggestions or answering questions from students. Of course, I would have at least one hour in the engineering building's lobby (or is it a foyer? =P) and at least one hour in the computing building's lobby. Truly excellent idea IMO.

Sorry, originally intended to just post the link... tl;dr is 'vote for me, I'll have the time and I have the ideas'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Carri wrote: »
    I'd like to see more about the other people running.

Hey, I posted! And I've not had a single conversation with you the last week that didn't involve me canvassing. That's hearing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭OrionsBelt

they says cuiousity killed the cat, well call me curious, whats with the emergency union council meeting being called on Facebook half an hour ago. Anything election related?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Hmm, according to the Facebook page...

"An electoral issue that has arisen very recently."

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The drama around these elections are unreal :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

gizmo wrote: »
    Hmm, according to the Facebook page...

"An electoral issue that has arisen very recently."

:confused:

Sounds like something big is going to happen. wonder what is was and how it will effect the election. Details, anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Foxkehs

OrionsBelt wrote: »
    Sounds like something big is going to happen. wonder what is was and how it will effect the election. Details, anyone?

Nothing is going to be said until Tuesday morning, unfortunately :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 thelastshadow

I didn't have the heart to really press anyone in the know for info. It would have to be pretty serious for an emmergency AGM (as opposed to union council meeting). Unless the facebook page just meant union council.

Meh. I can wait until tomorrow to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

polling starts at nine on tuesday as well - how'll it work if this has an effect on the election?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ollieyonex400

Polling Stations will open at 10 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭lithiumoxide

When do they close? I might not make it to DCU until late evening :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

unless things get changed as a result of this mysterious union council, they'll be staying open til 9pm on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Edgar Penzig

EDIT: <All will be revealed!>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Rosstafarian

Wow.

Any hope you could tell us which candidate is involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Edgar Penzig

How should I know? ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Rabble just got Rabbler.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Easy there Edgar, I've had to edit out some of your more strongly worded prose from that last post. Some of it didn't so much as toe the line between acceptable and libelous as run right past it screaming manically. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tvservices

You got to love student politics ... this is going to be a VERY interesting week. See you all at the meeting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tvservices

DCUfm and the college view are going to have a field day with this. Media heaven ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

You lot have been watching too much of the West Wing.

TBH.

EDIT: IT'S RIGGED!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

I didn't have the heart to really press anyone in the know for info. It would have to be pretty serious for an emmergency AGM (as opposed to union council meeting). Unless the facebook page just meant union council.

Meh. I can wait until tomorrow to find out.

If it's emergency it's not an AGM.

You of all people should know these basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭lithiumoxide

I'm so disappointed that some people don't seem to care about the rules, regulations, and laws, for elections, and that they would be willing the jeopardise the campaign of a candidate, and indeed the democratic system in DCU as a whole. There are systems and procedures in place for a reason, and it's shocking that some people might be arrogant enough to feel that the rules don't apply to them.

i'm guessing from the posts that one of the candidates, or someone on their team, has broken the rules, but can someone just tell us what the hell happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Morphy

I seen the Emergency meeting notice of facebook too and I really wana know what has happened. I'm at home in the sticks for Easter and I know I'll find out when I'm back but I'm not sure if i can wait... Enlighten us please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Everyone will find out on Tuesday. No one is going to give it away if it's as serious a situation as it sounds. Quit asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 EyesWide

tvservices wrote: »
    DCUfm and the college view are going to have a field day with this. Media heaven ...

From what I hear the College View are being very serious about this one, apparently they have had suspicions about the irregularity for a number of days too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 milkwine

andyman wrote: »
    I have to say, Cillian Byrnes posters are absolutely quality. The one where he's holding his arms out with the slogan "Here to hug it all away" is one of the funniest, yet cleverest things I've seen this year.

OMG LIKE.......he is sweetheart however....that not funny....how is that funny????

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

milkwine wrote: »
    OMG LIKE.......he is sweetheart however....that not funny....how is that funny????
    Or clever for that matter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 milkwine

phasers wrote: »
    Or clever for that matter

How? I don't get it.......................................

Advertisement