Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Taisce Objecting to Powerboat Races in June

Options
  • 16-03-2010 3:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

In less than 3 months the Round Ireland Powerboat race is to start from Galway.

http://designassociatesatwork.com/aroundireland.org/press.php?id=2

Furthermore there is to be a round of the international Powerboat P1 SuperStock Championship in the bay in between the start and finish running from the 5th to the 7th of June.

Naturally someone thought of having a race village but now I hear An Taisce is objecting to the race village and has threatened to take Galway City Council to court if the race village is not put through the full planning process first.

I understand the corpo bottled it with An Taisce and are about to order the organisers to apply for planning permission for the race village :(

This has also delayed confirmation of the race itself, it should have appeared HERE in the season calendar by now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Where can the people of Ireland Object to An Taisce ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They successfully objected to a single smallish seaplane in the docks back in January so imagine what they have planned for about 50 powerboats :)

As part of the objection relates to the SAC and SPA off the Salthill Prom the race may have to be moved out to Barna just like the inshore part of the Volvo last year.....also threatened by guess who at the last minute :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Poly wrote: »
    Where can the people of Ireland Object to An Taisce ?

It's a membership organisation: if you don't like what they're currently doing, get involved and convince them to do other things.

http://www.antaisce.ie/Default.aspx?alias=www.antaisce.ie/membership

I'd have thought that of course organisers would have had to get planning permission for an event like this - and that it shouldn't be hard to get if they've thought things through.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

JustMary wrote: »
    It's a membership organisation: if you don't like what they're currently doing, get involved and convince them to do other things.

The Galway chapter tends to function as a dissident group, madder than the rest of them and run solely for one ego. I doubt rocking up to an AGM will change this, it'll just result in Continuity An Taisce and Real An Taisce...

You'd almost pray for an Isaac Wunder order to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I really cannot fathom why they are objecting to a race village which will obviously only be there on a very temporary basis (3 days). The vast majority of Galway people will enjoy the race village and the event as a whole. It will also bring many tourists to the City. Why do An Taisce have to create a problem where there should be none?

They have threatened to take the City Council to court if they do not go through the full planning process and when the City Council do commence going through the planning process, I bet An Taisce will object to the race village altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

JustMary wrote: »

Wow I always thought they were a Government body.

Anyone know how many "members" there are. And do they need to approve you as a member... if not, how many people do we need to influence their internal votes! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Clowns.

I'll be racing in the summer, and damned if i'm gonna let this crowd of paper warriors stop me.

foto joe wrote: »

Anyone know how many "members" there are. And do they need to approve you as a member... if not, how many people do we need to influence their internal votes! :cool:

Had a quick look on their site and I think you have to pay to become a member...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

What a shower of miserable fcuks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

This seems like a bizarre thing to object to. I'd understand it if galway bay was some sort of previously sedate nature conservancy, but it's a commercial dock. I can't imagine seabirds et al that are nesting in the bay aren't exactly used to noise by this point.

Nature orgs and 'outdoor sports' enthusiasts are often at odds when they really have more in common than not - they have different ways of enjoying nature but they both want it there for their enjoyment rather than turned into estates.

• Advertisement

Imagine how badly they'll object to the development of Galway Harbour :eek:

JohnCleary wrote: »

Haven't they already voiced some opposition against the Galway Harbour development (and possibly the Ceannt Quarter development also) because of the extra traffic these developments would bring to Central Galway? They are also against the Galway Bypass which would take large volumes of traffic out of Central Galway :rolleyes:. It's beyond crazy; I don't understand their logic at all. Do they think/want/expect Galway City to never grow and improve?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

They'll take it to the EU courts. Let's just deport them to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

They are a club for miserable people who must try and save the rest of us from ourselves and our notions of having fun, the advancement of our City etc. They are a highly vocal minority in whatever they do, the miserable bastards . :(

Thankfully (HOPEFULLY) the Harbour Board are a few steps ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

This is absolutely shocking. An Taisce (in Galway) appear to be a club for miserable small minded people.

UnjustMary - while they are a private club of cranks; they're not just a private club. They have a statutory basis and a statutory remit. They're using the laws of Ireland to cause chaos and to stifle anything positive in Galway. I really despise them and the petty mean spirited taxi driver who's appointed himself as our "environmental conscience"

[My reference to their supreme leader in Galway as a taxi driver is not intended as an insult to other taxi drivers]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

foto joe wrote: »

I'd be delighted to join anyone that wants to crash the party, and I'll put my money where my mouth is. Would a few hundred members of boards help, and whats the fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

KevR wrote: »
    I really cannot fathom why they are objecting to a race village which will obviously only be there on a very temporary basis (3 days). The vast majority of Galway people will enjoy the race village and the event as a whole. It will also bring many tourists to the City. Why do An Taisce have to create a problem where there should be none?

They have threatened to take the City Council to court if they do not go through the full planning process and when the City Council do commence going through the planning process, I bet An Taisce will object to the race village altogether.
    there is no need to have planning for a structure that will only be there for 3 days,
    this is a huge event, big revenue, tourism, advertising, great for our country, hopefully no one will pay heed to those trying to stop progress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

KevR wrote: »

It's do gooder twits like the idiots in An Taisce that detract from the good sometimes positive work that this group occasionally does. It's time people stood up to this ramapnt nannyism and lobbied to have the group disbandned. Maybe that will teach them:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    I'd be delighted to join anyone that wants to crash the party, and I'll put my money where my mouth is. Would a few hundred members of boards help, and whats the fee?
    Id join ye too (im assuming that the Galway branch isnt very big so a few would probably make a difference)

• Advertisement

I read somewhere that they are indeed against the docks developement, apparently, they think Foynes in Co Limerick is close enough to serve Galway.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

Cut the willys of the feckers

I'll join too, that's another vote

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

I'll join.

Give me a week and I'll look into joining too. Up to my eyes with my final year project at the moment but will be done with it next week.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

galwayrush wrote: »
    I read somewhere that they are indeed against the docks developement, apparently, they think Foynes in Co Limerick is close enough to serve Galway.:rolleyes:
    Aren't the Foynes Port Company doing everything in their power to ensure that there's no working port there? Like selling off land in deals which merit closer scrutiny?

Robbo wrote: »
    Aren't the Foynes Port Company doing everything in their power to ensure that there's no working port there? Like selling off land in deals which merit closer scrutiny?

I think the funny stuff had to do with the old docks in Limerick City, but i could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'll join. I have no problem with some of their work (?) but most of it is nothing more than straight-edge bullsh*t. Plus I'm an archaeologist so I'll destroy them with my against the grain attitude.

In all seriousness, objecting to a 3 day village is just plain fecking petty, what a sad bunch those who objected are.

ArseBandits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Sign me up!

Seriously, I'm busy for the next few weeks, but after that I'm going to look into this with a view to seeing if change can be made to happen from within :)

Advertisement