Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Taisce Objecting to Powerboat Races in June

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thats a good few numbers from here willing to join up. I'll put my money where my mouth is next week and join, i'll let ye know when i've it done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Before we all go randomnly joining do we know it will make a difference? As in do they make decisions by just taking a vote. If so how many people vote. Or is there some other decision making process.

Oh and just so people know, Membership:
    cost.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

cooperguy wrote: »
    Before we all go randomnly joining do we know it will make a difference? As in do they make decisions by just taking a vote. If so how many people vote. Or is there some other decision making process.

Agreed. That's what I mean when I said above that I'd "look into it". I'm going to try to find out about decision making processes etc. within An T. There's no way I'm joining if I can't actively work against their current leadership. I'd abhor a situation where my joining could be seen as a boost to that organisation. In other words, we don't need a situation where they can say they've a load of new members; and noone realises the new members are actually opposing the current regime.
    cooperguy wrote: »
    Oh and just so people know, Membership:
    Cost.jpg

Do you have a link to that image? I can't make it out. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

From their website

Isn’t An Taisce a government department (semi state)?

No An Taisce is a charity and was set up over 60 years ago, we rely almost exclusively on private donations and membership to survive and do our valuable work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

churchview wrote: »
    Agreed. That's what I mean when I said above that I'd "look into it". I'm going to try to find out about decision making processes etc. within An T. There's no way I'm joining if I can't actively work against their current leadership. I'd abhor a situation where my joining could be seen as a boost to that organisation. In other words, we don't need a situation where they can say they've a load of new members; and noone realises the new members are actually opposing the current regime.
    +1
    Do you have a link to that image? I can't make it out. Thanks.

Think that image is the pricing table on the left hand side of this page:
    http://www.antaisce.ie/Default.aspx?alias=www.antaisce.ie/membership

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ensure that you know what branch they will put you in before you join. Ye could all join and find that An T creates a special 'Salthill' branch and leaves the nutters free to play away with the Galway City branch like they do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Spot on. Its €45 direct debit, and a snip at the price if we can make some real changes.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    As part of the objection relates to the SAC and SPA off the Salthill Prom the race may have to be moved out to Barna just like the inshore part of the Volvo last year.....also threatened by guess who at the last minute :(

Objections in public domain now.

This particular objection is to racing off Salthill like I said a few weeks back.

The races may go ahead off Barna which I understand they will as a fallback with event confirmation up on the P1 site ...but not in Salthill if An Taisce have their way. The bay is not a SAC like An Taisce say...only parts of it.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/12146-concerns-over-wildlife-could-threaten-powerboat-event

The Powerboat P1 Superstock Championship has been planned to coincide with the launch of the Around Ireland Offshore Powerboat Race from June 5 to June 7.

The two events are estimated to be worth a combined €30 million to the local economy.

However, An Taisce has written to the NPWS to ask the state body to investigate the potential damage that the event could cause to wildlife in the bay, which they regard as a Special Area of Conservation (SAC).

“An Taisce wrote to the NPWS, asking them to look at the powerboat race in light of Galway Bay being a Special Area of Conservation,” said Chairman of An Taisce Galway Derrick Hambleton

The NPWS could cop themselves on and explain that the SAC is there essentially for wintering birds and that June IS NOT WINTER. However the NPWS in Galway will no doubt produce a mealy mouthed tome of supreme ambivalance knowing them and the corpo are too knock kneed to challenge them :(

No mention of the separate An Taisce challenge to the Race Village

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

No mention on the P1 website of Salthill only on the Superstock Calendar, am I to understand that we are only getting the small boats not the big P1 ones which are awsome, twill be a bit dissapointing if they are only the small ones.

Now I am not blaming An Taisce for any of the following :D
    Storm 10 wrote: »
    Am I to understand that we are only getting the small boats not the big P1 ones which are awsome, twill be a bit dissapointing if they are only the small ones.

Some of the larger classes have been abolished (ones with the enclosed cockpits) for now owing to lack of demand. The Superstock is the largest for which there is now a competition and it will be the same next year.

http://www.speedonthewater.com/
    Powerboat P1, which announced last week that it is bailing on its Super Sport and Evolution offshore racing classes for 2010—at least

Powerboat P1’s new “business plan” based on Aquabike, SuperStock and Rigid Inflatable Boat racing may well take care of that.

also see

http://www.speedonthewater.com/home/139-powerboat-p1-done-for-2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Can't we object to An Taisce and get them barred?:rolleyes:

The P1's are NOT coming to Galway (awesome boats), but the Superstock are. These are monohull GRP boats with a Honda 130 on the back - still pretty exciting boats and can't wait to see them.

I can also confirm that on June 6th we will be hosting an exciting event on inner Galway Bay, close to the shore. This will be a good spectator day and there'll be plenty of action for any petrolheads out there. More details to follow in the coming weeks.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    The P1's are NOT coming to Galway (awesome boats), but the Superstock are. These are monohull GRP boats with a Honda 130 on the back - still pretty exciting boats and can't wait to see them.

I can also confirm that on June 6th we will be hosting an exciting event on inner Galway Bay, close to the shore. This will be a good spectator day and there'll be plenty of action for any petrolheads out there. More details to follow in the coming weeks.

Very dissapointed about the P1 boats not coming to Galway, I always understood that it was the "World Power Boat" races that were coming here and not the smaller boats which are nowhere as exciting as the P1 boats. I watched the P1 races a few times on tv and they were really exciting as they are so big. Bit of a let down on this

I assume some of the P1 class of boats will be in the round Ireland race seeing as their own series has been cancelled since last week. They will be racing towards Rossaveal

The superstocks were known as the "Honda Formula 4-Stroke" a few years back and will be racing in the bay.

Regrettably there is another SAC out that way and An Taisce are probably complaining to the County Council as well as the corpo.

I assume some of the P1 class of boats will be in the round Ireland race seeing as their own series has been cancelled since last week

To date, no P1 boats have been entered in the RI. The premier classes (SuperSport and Evo) are to be withdrawn. Focus will now be on smaller classes (Superstock, Aquabike etc.)

Very dissapointed that we wont get a chance to see the P1 class of boat as they are the big boys of the off shore races, the smaller ones will not have the same appeal and as for aqua bikes :mad::mad:

Why is it called the World Power Boat race then if its not coming here ?????? .

Very dissapointed that we wont get a chance to see the P1 class of boat as they are the big boys of the off shore races, the smaller ones will not have the same appeal and as for aqua bikes :mad::mad:

Why is it called the World Power Boat race then if its not coming here ?????? .

No one is forcing you to watch the boats. If you don't like it, turn the other way

In less than 3 months the Round Ireland Powerboat race is to start from Galway.

http://designassociatesatwork.com/aroundireland.org/press.php?id=2

Furthermore there is to be a round of the international Powerboat P1 SuperStock Championship in the bay in between the start and finish running from the 5th to the 7th of June.

Naturally someone thought of having a race village but now I hear An Taisce is objecting to the race village and has threatened to take Galway City Council to court if the race village is not put through the full planning process first.

I understand the corpo bottled it with An Taisce and are about to order the organisers to apply for planning permission for the race village :(

This has also delayed confirmation of the race itself, it should have appeared HERE in the season calendar by now.

This is one of the biggest, power-trip, organisation that we have in this country. €65m that the country badly needs stands to be lost over a shower of obstructionists.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    No one is forcing you to watch the boats. If you don't like it, turn the other way

Now now dont get upset, of course I will watch the races its just that I was looking forward to seeing the P1 boats but either way I fully support it, as for An Taisce sick comes to mind about these people they hate to see things happen in this City.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

as for An Taisce sick comes to mind about these people they hate to see things happen in this City.

In fairness, someone needs to keep an eye on the historical/environment features, and ensure that we don't destroy 'em.

For example, many people would think it "progress" if we knocked Lynch's Castle, and replaced it with a "proper" bank branch with an ATM lobby that can be accessed at all hours. Many would like to see other grotty buildings on Shop (et al) St knocked down and replaced with taller glass and concrete numbers that would encourage shoppers to spend, and have high-class offices and apartments upstairs instead of the (now, or soon to be, illegal) shared-bathroom bedsits that are in some of them. But many other people would disagree.

If you dislike what any membership organisation is doing, join. Get your friends to join too. Change how things are done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

JustMary wrote: »
    If you dislike what any membership organisation is doing, join.
    I disagree with that notion.

If a group is doing something that I believe is fundamentally wrong, my first instinct isn't to try and change the group from the inside.

I think there are a bunch of chancers in Fianna Fáil, but that doesn't mean I'm going to join them.

I think common sense should prevail and their antics should not be tolerated. If they have an "outspoken minority", make sure they aren't the only voices heard.

Bolstering their membership is the wrong way to go about the situation in my opinion.

I'm sure that An Taisce has a role in our society, but too often I have seen them overstepping the mark in terms of interfering with events such as this and also what people are doing with their private land. Members of An Taisce seem to be involved somewhere along the lines in these disputes also...

I'm not aware of much of what An Taisce does, but whenever they come to my attention, over-the-top rhetoric that would be well at home with the Republican Party in the US, seems to be their trademark.

JustMary wrote: »
    In fairness, someone needs to keep an eye on the historical/environment features, and ensure that we don't destroy 'em.

For example, many people would think it "progress" if we knocked Lynch's Castle, and replaced it with a "proper" bank branch with an ATM lobby that can be accessed at all hours. Many would like to see other grotty buildings on Shop (et al) St knocked down and replaced with taller glass and concrete numbers that would encourage shoppers to spend, and have high-class offices and apartments upstairs instead of the (now, or soon to be, illegal) shared-bathroom bedsits that are in some of them. But many other people would disagree.

If you dislike what any membership organisation is doing, join. Get your friends to join too. Change how things are done.

Mary you have a point too in fairness to you. Fact is if An Taisce didnt exist they would probably knock newgrange/rock of cashel and the likes and allow a Tesco to be put there which i dont agree with either. however i think there needs to be a line drawn in the sand as to the extremity of some of their protests. i think they should be more embracing of festivals like the galway boat race as they are coming at a time when the country badly needs investment.

Latest update. An Taisce have persuaded Gormleys department in Dublin to make a nuisance of themselves...although I think a lot of the problem is the NPWS scientists based in the west and not Gormley himself and which scientists were put up to this by An Taisce

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/powering-ahead/
    The department ( IE the NPWS) said they were concerned that the event coincides with the breeding period of the Harbour Seal and that the seal might collide with the powerboats.

I suppose the NPWS never heard of Charles Darwin did they??? Are they implying that the seal will headbutt the powerboats or something??? What about Seal Finger if they get a human ???
    They have also pointed to several species of Harbour Porpoise and Bottlenose Dolphin that have been spotted in the area of Galway Bay.

I suppose they are worried that the volcanic dust will distress the poor dears too but they are hardly organising volunteer teams to go out and wash it off them :(

The NPWS and An Taisce are parasites, nothing more and nothing less. This is a frivolous and pointless exercise in obstruction, a classic example of what happens when the Galway green miserabilists are given the tiniest bit of power over anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Latest update. An Taisce have persuaded Gormleys department in Dublin to make a nuisance of themselves...although I think a lot of the problem is the NPWS scientists based in the west and not Gormley himself and which scientists were put up to this by An Taisce

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/powering-ahead/

I suppose the NPWS ever heard of Charles Darwin did thay ??? Are they implying that the seal will headbutt the powerboats or something ??? What about Seal Finger if they get a human ???

I suppose they are worried that the volcanic dust will distress the poor dears too but they are hardly organising volunteer teams to go out and wash it off them :(

The NPWS and An Taisce are parasites, nothing more and nothing less. This is a frivolous and pointless exercise in obstruction, a classic example of what happens when the Galway green miserabilists are given the tiniest bit of power over anything.

Ah come on Sponge Bob, the NPWS are hardly parasites, you've gone too far saying that.

The environment, and those in it who cannot be heard, need the protection offered by the NPWS and other environment protection bodies.
    Do you not believe in sticking up for the little guy?

I am amazed that despite all the quick buck, instant gratification etc rubbish we have all seen come and go here in Ireland in the last few years, people still don't fully respect that which will always be there for everyone, given a little care; the environment.

We need to get the balance right.
    Just to let you know I'am not a member of An Taisce or the NPWS either. I just have a pair of eyes in my head and can look around and appreicate things that have been around before human civilisation, and will probably be here long after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Maybe we should stop treating our sewage in Mutton Island and just pump it straight out into the bay. They seemed to be okay with that years ago.

What about fish, dolphins etc all these could be hit with powerboats, oil tankers, navy vessels, windsurfers. It's a right load of tripe is what it is.

What about all the cows, chickens, fish, crabs, lobsters, oysters we kill and devour every day but now there may be an issue with some seals. It's mad Ted

The NPWS are parasites, they only ever bang in an objection at the last possible minute to make life awkward for people. What does "the area of Galway Bay" mean...everywhere between Belmullet and Dingle no doubt :(

The Harbour Porpoise is found ALL AROUND IRELAND in fact and is not particularly found in Galway Bay or even near it. Furthermore, from that link.
    reduced encounter rates from well-watched sites such as Howth Head, Dublin and the Old Head of Kinsale, Cork suggest they move offshore in spring between March and June. Where they go is unknown, but the fact that encounter rates increase in June, when calves are first recorded suggests they move to offshore calving/breeding grounds.

So the NPWS now expect a race organiser in Galway to look for an animal whose location is unknown at this and at that time of year and to hire a local green ecojobbie to produce some expensive envirobollix report on it at short notice.

A pack of unaccountable power crazed cnuts, themselves and An Taisce. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭123easy

It is so undemocratic and unfair what an taisce & co get away with. They being a very small minority Dictate to the majority how they can live their lives and what they can and can not do.
    end this fascist Dictatorship

Advertisement