Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to see in Ireland (for Free)

Options
  • 16-03-2010 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

Im trying to do a bit of exploring in Ireland before i go travelling around other countries. Whenever im abroad i meet people from other countries who seem to know and have seen more of Ireland then i have. There isn't a whole lot to be found online.

Can anyone suggest any places that i should see around the country?

Absolutely anywhere, North, South, East or West.

Cheers,
    Ronan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Antrim Coast Road.
    Ring of Kerry.
    Aran Islands.
    West Cork.
    North Donegal.
    All fantastic scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

In the south:
    • The national park around Killarney: the lakes, Torc Waterfall, the Gap of Dunloe, Lady's Point.
    • Dursey Island (using the old cable car to get across)

In the west:
    • Achill Island
    • The Burren

In the North:
    • The Mourne Mountains (especially Kilbroney National Park)
    • Giants Causeway
    • Newcastle Beach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Collinho

ronanmor wrote: »
    Hi,

Im trying to do a bit of exploring in Ireland before i go travelling around other countries. Whenever im abroad i meet people from other countries who seem to know and have seen more of Ireland then i have. There isn't a whole lot to be found online.

Can anyone suggest any places that i should see around the country?

Absolutely anywhere, North, South, East or West.

Cheers,
    Ronan.

So true Ronan,

Been doing a lot of travelling in the last 5 years or so and I'm always a tad embarrassed when someone talks to me about my country and I'm left wondering why I haven't seen any of the places they have!

Anyway as a response to your question I can think of little more than scenery that comes free in this country of ours, however if you are of the adventurous type then you should try hill walking down in the south west or surfing up in Bundoran, Co. Sligo. Surfing will cost a bit but its a great laugh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Collinho wrote: »
    or surfing up in Bundoran, Co. Sligo.

you seriously dont know about your own country as bundoran is in Co.Donegal!!!!!

From my experience ronan, a drive up the west coast (clare and mayo) have some great scenery, although most attractions there are a rip off! If you come up as far as doneagl drive around the inis eoighin 100 (km) swan park in buncranna, the many beaches along the route and take a walk around the coast at bambas crown (ireland most northerly point on malin head) there are lots of hidens gems around there (courisity shop, spanish cross).

these places are all free to enter, as they should be, its only a start too as that is a small area in donegal if you need to know anywhere else drop me a PM and i'll be more than happy to direct you.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭coleen

Climb Torc Waterfall or walk through the Gap of Dunloe walk or drive the Kerry Way. Find one of the many hidden walks in the Killarney National Park. Drive fron Kenmare to west cork via glengarrif and go to Garnish Island. If you are in Kerry on Bank Holiday weekend walk Killarney on www.killarney.ie have guided walks some free but others just cost the price of the transport to the start of walks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

Slieve Forest near Newry
    drive to Sligo via eniskillen - dramatic landscape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ronanmor

Thanks a million for all the feedback folks, it's all really good stuff. There's a few places mentioned that i've been to but a lot that i haven't seen but would love too. Im thinking of leaving Dublin around the end of May and do a full lap around the coast over maybe 2-3 weeks. It seems the midlands isn't really up to much as regards scenery. Id say camping will be my choice of living for the few weeks because id say it will cost a bomb, but if anyone has know's of any B&Bs, hostels, or guesthouses that are worth a visit id definately consider them for a night or 2. And if anyone is interested in joining me for a leg of the journey or even for a few pints along the way drop me a PM.

Cheers and thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Glenveagh national park Donegal
    Bambas Crown Malin Head

Advertisement