Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Dog used to the outside

Options
  • 16-03-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I've been trying to get my 9 month old springer spaniel used to being outdoors by putting him out in the garden for 3-4 hours. He still sleeps inside at night.

He hates it!

It's been 2 weeks now and it breaks my heart listening to him barking, all forlorn out there. I've tried putting his bed out with him, and toys, and treats, but he ignores them all and just howls his little heart out.

My question is - how long does it take before he gets used to it? Or will he? Is there anything else I can do to make it attractive for him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

not that i agree with putting dogs outside for the night, but if you wan to get him used to being outside, how about going out and playing with him in the garden for half an hour, then bringing him in, do this for a few days and he'll associate outside with fun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bl8ckh8art

Try leaving the back door open and going about your business. Maybe he will venture outside by himself if he thinks he can come back in when he feels like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

What Paul said, associate being outside with fun playing time with you, and he'll get used to being out there with you, and hopefully start going out on his own. Leaving the door open is a good idea too.

Personally, I don't think leaving a dog outside at night is a problem, once they get used to the weather and have somewhere good to sleep, a Springer Spaniel should be fine outside, if you want him to sleep outside. But I would say, that if he is in for a few hours during the day, then he should sleep inside too, because he'll be used to being warm. But if he is outside all day, then he would be ok to sleep outside or inside, whatever you want.

Advertisement