Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a DSLR- last question I promise!

• 16-03-2010 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Sorry for my 100th question re buying a new (well 2nd hand) DSLR
    Down to a few choices, going to make the plunge today. Anyone any opinions (besides try them ans see which you prefer)-
    1.Nikon D80 body with Lens Nikkor 18-135mm Dx

2. Sony Alpha A200 with 18-70mm Kit Lens, 70-300mm Sigma Zoom lens & Minolta 50mm Prime lens

3. Canon 30 D with 18-55 kit lens

4. CANON 400D 28-90 lens

5. Pentax K-X with kit lens

6. Nikon D3000

thanks,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

Fair range of choice there! Have you gone to have a look at these models/ see how they feel in hand?

Often this makes the difference for me. Also do you have any friends that use any of the above brands, so you can borrow exchange lens/equipment?

For me it would me canon all the way but thats my particular preference.
    In the above list however the 18-135 lens sticks out as a nice option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I have 2 D80s and find them great. I have 18-135 lens which came as a kit. I am biased so suggest you go for the D80 but the Canon 30D is a great camera also. Don't have enough knowledge of the other cameras in your list.
    Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Id be tempted by the Sony just because it has 3 lenses. Really depends what you want it for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Personally I'd say go Nikon, but thats just me. However, having a D50 & D90 and used a D80 numerous times. Go for that with the 18-135.

In my mind its either the canons or the nikons. I've used all the makes, not necessarily the models, but similar ones of all. The sony's are good, as are the Pentax, but they just don't cut it IMO. The sony lenses are nice ranges, but its not worth it. The D80 is a really great body with some serious images being produced from them and the 18-135 will ensure you won't ned to get a new one to increase your range any time soon. It will keep you going until you find your feet with it. Not sure if it's your first DSLR, but if it is then it only in forces this point!

Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 streetshooter

PENTAX every time - try to get some more lens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

Open to correction from streetshooter but I have it in my head that Canon and Nikon would hold value better if you want to upgrade parts of your kit in the future. Also, have you considered a secondhand body that might allow you to get a better len/lenses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

fade2che wrote: »
    Also, have you considered a secondhand body that might allow you to get a better len/lenses?

If something CAN be considered then it's a fairly safe bet that dineenp HAS considered it at some point over the last few months. And then started off several threads about it.

go D80.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Dont worry about future value. If you keep the camera body for more than 2 years it will be essentially worthless anyway. Decent prime lenses and some good quality zooms will hold their value but theretically you should never want to sell a good prime lens unless you were say switching from Canon to Nikon i.e. changing your system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'll betray Canon and say go for the D80 as I don't like either of the lenses with the Canons there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Here's a side by side of the specs of 5 of the 6 cameras
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=pentax_kx%2Csony_dslra200%2Cnikon_d3000%2Cnikon_d80%2Ccanon_eos400d&show=all

I'd have to say pentax, but maybe that because I have pentax. I can say though that it looks a well featured camera, laid out like the older pentax models which is good and the kit lens get a good review.

To be honest though, I'd say any of the cameras would do you fine starting out, image quality should be high enough for large prints. It is handy to get extra lenses with a camera as long as its not adding much cost. Would not go for the 400d because of the lens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I am incredibly bias towards Nikon. I like the control layout, like the fell in hand and have primarily shot on Nikon, both digital and film. That said the D80 + lens is the way I would go, if I was buying for the first time.
    Factor in a used 50mm f/1.8 (between 60-100 euro) in to the cost. It's lens that will perform better than it's price and will allow you to shoot in low light far better than any other in the price range.

Now go buy one.:D:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Go for any of them you want......

whatever control interface suits you best and what ever fits better in your hand......

Just dont buy a camera for its badge :rolleyes:

(if you were to force an choice out of me it would be sony since i have one and it come with two zoms and a prime :D) (you can never have enough lenses espicially primes :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

I was in B and H in New york and could hold and mess with a lot of cameras; In my budget band I went with the D80 because it had a more ergonomic body and I thought it had a brighter view finder. I've had no regrets with it.

(your milage may vary ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

for whats its worth, I went with the Sony kit and found the 2 lens package was perfect for me as I wanted general purpose as well as long distance nature shots, and the price was right! Buying a 300mm lens separately is an expensive option.

If I was to start again, I'd seriously consider canon/nikon this time, just down to the bigger market in lens and accessories. But then again, thats only an advantage if you got the budget to be buying new stuff. If you want to get a decent starter pack go with the Sony - its got the lens (and if you read all the discussions, time and again, people say its all about the lenses!)

thats only an advantage if you got the budget to be buying new stuff.
    canon and nikon have a huge second hand base, so you don't need a budget for new gear, actually, you're more likely to need a budget for new gear with sony ;)
    people say its all about the lenses

It certainly is, and Canon and Nikon have the upper hand by a good margin. AsI said, the 18-135 is a really great range I have the 18-105 beside me and its a bit better than the 135, but not by much, I've never been using that lens and felt a few more mm would be good, so the 135 really will be incredible! I've a sigma 70-300 as well so that fills in the long range stuff. But as a beginner on a tight budget, a one lens fits all to start with is a great move.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

only point I was trying to make is that his Sony option had 3 lenses already so he would not need to buy another for a long time...but his other options leave a gap. Not sure how much his various options cost.

If he does not need long range, then a 200 or 300mm lens is not necessary and he'll be fine with one lens fits all. But otherwise at least 2 lens are a minimum - just from my own experience...

Agree with what your saying, just offering a different viewpoint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Sorry for my 100th question re buying a new (well 2nd hand) DSLR.......

Get down the shops Pa :-)

I would be tempted by the Sony.

As several people have said already, it's all about the lenses. I would
    take that a bit further and say that it's all about the lenses and the
    sensor. If you shoot in raw mode, nothing else really matters.
    Despite all the Canon/Nikon advocacy, it is worth noting that
    the Nikon almost certainly has the same 10Mp Sony sensor
    that is used in the Sony A200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭dinneenp

(not that anyone cares) I made a bid for the Sony bunch (no reply yet) but in the meantime saw Pentax K-X, kit lens & 55-200 for €406! (from USA, friend will bring home).

Has live view (even though it's not massively important but why not have it), grip is nice (the Sony grip is a bit 'too small', even though would have gotten use to it I'd imagine), gets great reviews, nice zoom lens, in camera IS....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'll chip in for the Pentax as well. Really lovely cameras, easy to use, very well featured and you have an unrivalled selection of lenses to choose from going back at least 40-50 years or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

+1 for the D80. Granted...high iso performance is not great but it's still a very good body. I use mine as a backup/spare body. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Other than the minolta 50, the two lenses that come with the sony are pants.

Sony would be my last choice. About Nikon using their sensors, Nikons processing is the difference.

The Pentax is a really well featured camera and handles well but isn't as well supported as Nikon or Canon. It's very tempting though.

Canon lenses are slightly cheaper than Nikon but Nikons handling just cant be beaten imo. The Canon will produce the cleanest high iso shots.

"It's all about the lenses" - remember quality not quantity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Meh....

the sigma 70-300 lens is fine for a beginner.... Remember we are talking about budget lenses for which the sigma 70-300 does an excellent job.

The 18-70 is a decent perfomer up to 50mm and its ok after that and its as good as the older generation nikon 18-55.

the minolta 50 is a stellar lens really sharp with excellent colour reproduction and is my favourite lens :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Another vote for the D80:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

landyman wrote: »
    Meh....

the sigma 70-300 lens is fine for a beginner.... Remember we are talking about budget lenses for which the sigma 70-300 does an excellent job.

The 18-70 is a decent perfomer up to 50mm and its ok after that and its as good as the older generation nikon 18-55.

the minolta 50 is a stellar lens really sharp with excellent colour reproduction and is my favourite lens :D

:confused:

The 18-70 is terrible compered most other brands kit lenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

alexlyons wrote: »
    canon and nikon have a huge second hand base, so you don't need a budget for new gear, actually, you're more likely to need a budget for new gear with sony ;)

I'm not as convinced as I used to be on the second hand argument simply on the basis that the new order of things in the world is the global village idea mixed with the eBay philosophy that people are quintessentially good.

I accept however that for a particular character of person you may never buy from around the globe.

Speaking personally i've bought both locally (Ireland) and internationally (States, Australia, Scotland, and UK) and don't have a particular preference. I am careful that buyer protection is in place prior to buying but other than that my experience is that people are generally good. I did have one occasion that buyer protection was called for and I got my money back through established channels - no different to returning products to shops (Argos for example - i've had a saga there with respect to portable DVD players... gah! :))

I think a kit and a budget super zoom are likely to be inferior quality to the > €700 lens but we all start somewhere. Yes, I understand that logically you are better saving your money until you can buy the >€700 lens but for the vast majority of people logic won't come into it when you want a zoom. It doesn't matter that you may settle back on the Minolta 50 and never take it off your camera.

I actually sometimes like the quirkyness (optical flaws) of my Sigma 70-300 even though the gears are starting to creak and its noisy as hell. I also have a budget Pentax 100-300 which is marginally better quality (more contrasty and better colour rendition imho). I think when finances allow i'd like a 2.8 super zoom but meh, in the meantime there is compromise.

So, I don't disagree that the kit and sigma aren't the 'bestest' of lens but if you are looking to get off a starting position of no dSLR then imho having 3 lens including a nice prime, and short range and a tele-zoom isn't a bad place to be for your first dSLR.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I'm not as convinced as I used to be on the second hand argument simply on the basis that the new order of things in the world is the global village idea mixed with the eBay philosophy that people are quintessentially good.

I accept however that for a particular character of person you may never buy from around the globe.

Speaking personally i've bought both locally (Ireland) and internationally (States, Australia, Scotland, and UK) and don't have a particular preference. I am careful that buyer protection is in place prior to buying but other than that my experience is that people are generally good. I did have one occasion that buyer protection was called for and I got my money back through established channels - no different to returning products to shops (Argos for example - i've had a saga there with respect to portable DVD players... gah! :))

I've bought from around the world too, and not just on camera gear. I have always found that there is a greater range of nikon and canon stuff, which makes for competitive prices, compared to the lesser established brands where there is not as much of a choice, but admittedly there is a larger range than there used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I'm relatively new to DSLR photography (last 6 months or so).
    I bought a 2nd hand D80 with a sigma 28-300 lens. I can't fault the camera at all. In fact, I've really learned a lot with it. I was concerned at the time that the D90 was the replacement, but the D80 does everything I want.

• Advertisement

Don't talk to me about Argos and portable DVD players!
    They'll take virtually everything else back with barely checking it but DVD not a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Hi,
    Sorry for my 100th question re buying a new (well 2nd hand) DSLR
    Down to a few choices, going to make the plunge today. Anyone any opinions (besides try them ans see which you prefer)-
    1.Nikon D80 body with Lens Nikkor 18-135mm Dx

2. Sony Alpha A200 with 18-70mm Kit Lens, 70-300mm Sigma Zoom lens & Minolta 50mm Prime lens

3. Canon 30 D with 18-55 kit lens

4. CANON 400D 28-90 lens

5. Pentax K-X with kit lens

6. Nikon D3000

thanks,
    Pa.

fair range there
    nikons and canons are probably your best bet
    I have a canon 400D and its fine and i have never had any trouble with it. It struggles a bit in low light and I would only buy it if its bargin as its a couple of years old and the nikon d80 is from the same time and is a superior camera. canon 30d would be good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭theacher

sorry guys ,my 12 year old son is making noises about photograpy and was just wondering whats the best starter pack and where to pick this up?ty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

For a 12 year old? I'm going to suggest a cheap portable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭theacher

thanks into xtra vision i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Hey dineen, what did you go for in the end? My offer for the Sony has been accepted so I presume you backed out?

I'm just going for the cam with kit lens, shutter relase and 50mm, that's all i really require for now. Just wondering what you opted for as I have a few in my watch list to ponder over before galvanising anything. This will be my first dslr too.

• Advertisement

Pentax k-x with kit lens and 55-300. For €446!
    Didn't pull out from Sony, never got a reply.

Not a bad deal, good luck with it :)

Pentax k-x with kit lens and 55-300. For €446!
    Didn't pull out from Sony, never got a reply.

Yay! Good to have another lunatic rock of sense in the k-mount club. Welcome aboard ;)

At a good price too. Now off you go to eBay and find a manual 50mm from about 40 years ago (it'll be going for a song) and stick it on it - it now becomes an image stabilised 40 year old lens :) Meh, it'll probably be manual focus but there starts the fun.

(so long as it wasn't the special edition red one - that would be just weird)

Ya, that's the one pain. Think Ill get manual and if don't like it then save an splash the cash for AF.

or the white one ... really not sure about that :D

The sony's are similar no? With the anti-shake in body, old minolta lenses become stable?

• Advertisement

Ya, that's the one pain. Think Ill get manual and if don't like it then save an splash the cash for AF.

I picked up one for €15 quite a while back and I love it! :) At that money, it can tide you over.

The sony's are similar no? With the anti-shake in body, old minolta lenses become stable?

As far as I know, yes, and I believe THE minolta 50 manual prime is a force to be reckon'd with. I've only used a Sony once. Can't remember the model. Quite nice though.

As far as I know, yes, and I believe THE minolta 50 manual prime is a force to be reckon'd with.

Depends on which one you have. I have the f/2 (non-rokker) and it is a nice lens but if you can find a minolta rokker 50mm f/1.2 (without selling a kidney or a child) buy it, and you will never be let down by it.

As far as I know, yes, and I believe THE minolta 50 manual prime is a force to be reckon'd with. I've only used a Sony once. Can't remember the model. Quite nice though.

Cool, could be the deciding factor in me purchasing this A200, it comes with the minolta 50mm prime :)

Cool, could be the deciding factor in me purchasing this A200, it comes with the minolta 50mm prime :)

which one?

Advertisement