Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DkIT student union elections

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Kaneo wrote: »
    well.
    How exactly were all the candidates meant to be informed about this forum because the 1st i heard of it was from Lisa so fair play to her.
    ptalullah wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm one of the other candidates and I can safely say none of the other candidates was told about this "unbiased" thread. :eek:

At the start of the year an email was sent to all students in DKIT informing them of the forum here on boards.ie

So all students would have been made aware of it.

As a DKIT edu forum its likely to have a thread on elections every year so there's no real excuse to be not aware of it having received an email informing you of the forums existence.

I had some questions for you James but Sarge's edit pointed me to your facebook page with more info.

I will go through all the agendas tonight and post some questions that all candidates can get a chance to answer and debate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Walking through the halls there, every inch of the place in plastered with feckin posters.

Makes me nauseous...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Acquiesce

Best of luck to James, he's got my vote. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭louth87

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Walking through the halls there, every inch of the place in plastered with feckin posters.

Makes me nauseous...

It is a bit sickening, there should be some kind of a limit. A small forest has been sacrificed!!!!

This taking place today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭louth87

Voting closes at 4pm!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Yeah, voting is on in the MPC today.

Good luck to all candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

have to say, well done on the clean up operation today, was in the library all day (swatting like a swatty motherfooker) came down shortly after 5pm for a wee..(unecessary information there, but i feel it helps set the scene!) and the place was spotless. no posters/leaflets etc anywhere.

me and a mate did wonder whats going to happen to all the t-shirts with "vote for xx" on them though..i suggested send them off to charity..imagine irish aid abroad with a load a kiddeens running around in bright coloured t-shirts saying "xx 4 prez"..id find it funny and giggle quietly to myself..he he!

good job all concerned.

I believe James was the winner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

James won the president and the vice is still being counted.

BFassassin wrote: »
    James won the president and the vice is still being counted.

Congrats James

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Gwan the Ros for Vice President. Anyone know when they're gonna be announced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ptalullah

David Branagan won as Vice President, congrats David :):):):)

congrats to David.

I presume they take over at the end of term and get started over the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ptalullah

Yeah they get about a month to be trained in by the existing guys then take over fully in July.

Noticed some people made reference to the number of posters up and stuff, would love your feedback on this blog:

http://randomthoughtsfromlisa.blogspot.com/2010/03/student-union-election-campaigns.html

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

ptalullah wrote: »
    Yeah they get about a month to be trained in by the existing guys then take over fully in July.

Noticed some people made reference to the number of posters up and stuff, would love your feedback on this blog:

http://randomthoughtsfromlisa.blogspot.com/2010/03/student-union-election-campaigns.html

What are you trying to achieve with the feedback?

It's unfair to limit the amount of money a person spends on a campaign imo. If they really want it then they'll fork out for posters/t-shirts etc.

With regards posters I don't think it's fair either to limit the amount of posters a candidate can use. It's first come, first served imo. You find a spot and put your poster there.

Yeah there were a lot of posters but it keeps it fresh in your mind.

At the end of the day it's all about who you are and how you assert yourself to those voting.

A good personality and a genuine interest in student events along with a good campaign is key so you can't put a price on that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

That_Guy wrote: »

It's unfair to limit the amount of money a person spends on a campaign imo. If they really want it then they'll fork out for posters/t-shirts etc.

So what about they people that dont have money themselves or the contacts to raise funds??

Should they be excluded because their posters wont be as flashy or as numerous??

If they really want it, the money they spend should be irrelevant and the fact that they want will show.

Many other colleges have limits on the money allowed to be spent. All it does is level the playing field.

Doesn't it all just boil down to popularity at the end of the day anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

i agree with the above post,
    why if EYE were the prez id change the system so that..
    papagormo wrote: »
    they should have one or two open debates/speeches, and let whoever is interested in hearing it attend and after that, send out an online voting system, and tone down the whole affair. i find it can be very in your face and imtimating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement