Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BJ Penn documentary "90 days"

• 16-03-2010 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen this, and if so what was your response?

I saw it and I think BJ came off really badly. Considering how much influence he must have had on the final result it doesn't paint a flattering picture. BJ comes off as an arrogant, money grabbing bully who cant accept defeat.

He brushes over defeats and says stupid things like GSP didn't take his soul during their first fight, therefore when GSP got injured for his fight with Matt Hughes, Penn coming in was fate.

In particular I didn't like his attitude towards GSP. The doc is about the 90 days training for their rematch. The actual fight is only given one screen with writing on it sayint that GSP had won BUT the fight was being investigated bcaue GSP had used vaseline on his body which is ILLEGAL.

I didn't like that. Seemed to insinuate that GSP cheated. As far as I could see GSP just beat the s**t out of him and would do again if they ever meet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Penn made a complete fool out of himself.

I still love to watch the guy fight though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

I watched this a couple of weeks ago and would have to agree to be honest, he did come across fairly poorly... and as was pointed out, the programme was the build up to the fight and it was almost completely ignored at the end..
    Shame it would of been quite interesting really, a bit more of discussion as to why he was beaten... basically by a bigger guy who had a better game plan....

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭7daze

Has anyone come across the Jon Fitch documentary leading up to his fight with GSP? I heard it mentioned on MMA live a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

As a BJ fan, i can see how he came across badly but i think that's part of his charm and personality. He's brash and can be cocky.

I liked the doc, but i don't think it knew what it wanted to be. Was it a build up for the GSP fight? If so, it wasn't a very good one.

Was it a Bio of BJ Penn? again, not a great one.

I had a couple of gripes. There wasn't enough emphasis put on his win over Hughes (from the POV of a bio). For someone who was a relative new MMA fan watching this, they'd have gotten the impression it was just another fight. But i was a fan back then and Hughes was THE man. He was like The Terminator, smashing everyone and looking dominant every time. There wasn't enough emphasis put on the GSP fight in the end (from the POV of a build up).

Another was they never explained anything about the whole situation with the Uno draw.

But i liked it, i love watching BJ anytime. He's a facinating character and a true legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

I've not watched it yet, will probably get around to it soon.

I would be very surprised if bj managed to come off well in any show that allows him to speak for an extended period of time (a bit like frank Mir in that respect).

However he is still an extraordinary fighter, just one of many athletes who make tits of themselves on camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

After i saw it i couldn't help get the feeling that the whole thing was intended to end with a great BJ victory, when that didn't happen i guess they were fcuked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

saw it a couple of weeks ago, it was fairly interesting, although wish they had shown a few minutes of his better fights, rather than mix'ing them with Afro Samurai/Tapout type cartoons. As for the "vaseline" incident at the end, thought it was sour grapes, GSP well and truly beat him.
    Cagepotato had it recently as #3 in the "Ten sorriest Excuses in MMA History" http://www.cagepotato.com/excuses-bg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ittmixedmartial

im watching it atm and i have to be honest hes coming off as an asshole tbh and thats my honest opinion. i mean yes he is a great fighter and give him his dues hes done things that most people only dream of but he must of been on crack watching the finished product before it was approved ! gsp all the way on another note dan hardy is gonna get smashed and out classed 99 percent sure never say 100 because there is always a punchers chance :) and dans got the hands

Advertisement