Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"ag cur * le chéile" - ginideach nó gan?

• 16-03-2010 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭

Ceist shimplí. Cé acu seo atá ceart?

"Tá mé ag cur an suíomh le chéile." (gan TG)
    "Tá mé ag cur an tsuímh le chéile." (le TG)

GRMA.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Yep, ginideach after verbal nouns.

Maybe you could use 'i dtoll a chéile' instead of 'le chéile'.

so it would then be: 'Tá mé ag cur an tsuímh i dtoll a chéile'
    or you could avoid the genitive and say 'tá an suíomh á chur i dtoll a chéile agam'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

That's what I thought, but then I remembered that "tar éis" doesn't always take the genitive ("tar éis an chluiche" vs "tar éis an cluiche a bhuachaint"), and got muddled. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Aard wrote: »
    That's what I thought, but then I remembered that "tar éis" doesn't always take the genitive ("tar éis an chluiche" vs "tar éis an cluiche a bhuachaint"), and got muddled. Thanks for the help.

The reason "tar éis an cluiche a bhuachaint" is not in the genitive is because tar éis is referring to buachaint, not an cluiche. It's the same as "ar tí an oifig a fhágáil, where ar tí is referring to fágáil, not an oifig.

As regards "Tá mé ag cur an tsuímh le chéile", it is correct in terms of grammar and An Caighdeán Oifigiúil but you would be hard-pressed to find a native speaker who would put it in the ginideach, the reason being that they would view it, as you do, as the same as "tar éis an cluiche a bhuachaint".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

As regards "Tá mé ag cur an tsuímh le chéile", it is correct in terms of grammar and An Caighdeán Oifigiúil but you would be hard-pressed to find a native speaker who would put it in the ginideach, the reason being that they would view it, as you do, as the same as "tar éis an cluiche a bhuachaint".

I've heard that the genitive is falling more and more out of use in spoken Irish and that it's going the way of the dative..

But is there any example of when the genitive is consistently used by native speakers? As in, when it wouldn't sound odd to use it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

pog it wrote: »
    I've heard that the genitive is falling more and more out of use in spoken Irish and that it's going the way of the dative..

But is there any example of when the genitive is consistently used by native speakers? As in, when it wouldn't sound odd to use it?

Plenty of examples! Ag cur fola, ag cur báistí, deireadh seachtaine, stáisiún traenach, clúdach litreach, mála scoile ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement