Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT-Blanchardstown, written entrance exam

Options
  • 16-03-2010 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

I applied for Social care in ITB, today i got a letter saying that i mature applicants are required to demonstrate they meet the eligability requirements for 3rd level education via ; Assessment of suitability by ITB including a written test.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this or has done this test before, it explains the exam as being in the form of a written paper which includes a series of english comprehension questions.... Its on the 30th of March so its not long away and im nervous!! Any info or advice appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You may get better response here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

thanks larianne but after 144 views and no responses it doesnt look like anyone has much to say!!!!!!!

AFAIK its mostly computing students on this forum from ITB. I a computing student so cant help.

Alot of the views will have comes from bots scanning the site for google, msn/bing, yahoo ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Well if all they said was "Assessment of suitability by ITB including a written test."

They're prob just going to make sure you can read, write, will to learn etc.

Basicly just making sure your capable of learning what they teach.

No need to be nervous anyway, it's not like you can study for it, and I'm sure it'll be rather straight forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 markusr

I was told that they do these language tests (due to recession and other niceties of our days) to stop the avalanche of students rolling towards them. Apparently!!!

If you Google for "Assessment of suitability English writing test Ireland ITB"
    you'll get some links where you can read about these tests or even practise them.

Hope this helps ...

I'll be there too next week ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭fairycakes

Hi guys I have to do this text at the end of May can you tell me how it goes? I don't know what to expect

Cheers
    FC

I was supposed to this week but could not make it so I'll have to go end of May. I havea diploma in Creative Writing so I wondered if I jad to sit that test and I got the following response from ITB :: " The assessment of suitability if not just an assessment of English competency. "

Now I'm very curious what this test is about ...

markusr wrote: »
    I was supposed to this week but could not make it so I'll have to go end of May. I havea diploma in Creative Writing so I wondered if I jad to sit that test and I got the following response from ITB :: " The assessment of suitability if not just an assessment of English competency. "

Now I'm very curious what this test is about ...

Markus I will be going same time as yourself at the end of May I called them up and I got the impression its more like a basic english test! still confused!

LOL fairycakes we will have to wait then and find out.

I hope that when we have done it we come back here to provide feedback :rolleyes:

Hey Markus no problem we can try swap answers lol :p

The college also said there was lots of mature applicants this yr for this course :( typical the year I decide to go for it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 karenf123

qwertytlk wrote: »
    I applied for Social care in ITB, today i got a letter saying that i mature applicants are required to demonstrate they meet the eligability requirements for 3rd level education via ; Assessment of suitability by ITB including a written test.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this or has done this test before, it explains the exam as being in the form of a written paper which includes a series of english comprehension questions.... Its on the 30th of March so its not long away and im nervous!! Any info or advice appreciated!!!

Hi all, i did this exam in april in itb - you neednt worry about it , its really easy, just a story with some simple questions, a picture with a question, and literally 2 or 3 maths questions - adding and multiplication..there is also a short section on why you want to do the course etc - which i suppose is basically what you would have wrote on your personal statement.

hope this helps!:p

Thank you very much Karen - it does help ;)
    Always good to know what to expect :D

karenf123 wrote: »
    Hi all, i did this exam in april in itb - you neednt worry about it , its really easy, just a story with some simple questions, a picture with a question, and literally 2 or 3 maths questions - adding and multiplication..there is also a short section on why you want to do the course etc - which i suppose is basically what you would have wrote on your personal statement.

hope this helps!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Does every applicant have to do this exam or is it just for certain courses? I have a course in ITB as my number 1 through CAO but have never received anything to say I have to do this test.

My course, hopefully, is Creative Digital Media.

You only have to do the course when you haven't visited school in either Ireland/UK/US or (I think) Australia - not sure if that's for specific courses only.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

Macca3000 wrote: »
    Does every applicant have to do this exam or is it just for certain courses? I have a course in ITB as my number 1 through CAO but have never received anything to say I have to do this test.

My course, hopefully, is Creative Digital Media.

Nah you only have to do it if your a mature student and have no previous qualifications, If your coming from the leaving cert you don't need to worry about it. For those asking about it... so far as I remember from talking to mature students, they said it was just a matter of form thing that the college has to do. Its not hard if English is your first language and you don't need to study... even if your a non-national and only have some English I don't think it would be that much of a struggle.

Just to let you know - they forgot to invite me to the last test and in the meantime I have been accepted without a test at NCI

Good Luck to those who have to do the test :D

Advertisement