Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrade degree possible?

Options
  • 16-03-2010 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm 34 with a 2.2 Level 8 degree (1997) in physiotherapy and 2.1 masters (2003) in business. I really want to do medicine (without having to leave Ireland as I have commitments here). It seems my 2.2 is really going to cause me problems and I was wondering, if with an extra years study any universities upgrade degree results.

I know I can go back and sit the LC but I'll be 35 years old going into a class of 18 year olds which I think will be really hard going psychologically so I’m desperately hoping I can find an avenue to pursuing the GEM route. It seems very unfair to be excluded from the process by a degree I got 12 years ago when I was flighty and stupid.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

C2 wrote: »
    Hi all

I know I can go back and sit the LC but I'll be 35 years old going into a class of 18 year olds which I think will be really hard going psychologically so I’m desperately hoping I can find an avenue to pursuing the GEM route. It seems very unfair to be excluded from the process by a degree I got 12 years ago when I was flighty and stupid.

Thanks

If the quickest way of doing it is to resit the LC then do it. If you were starting in Premed next October '10, you'd also be in a class mostly full of 18 or 19 year olds; it's the same difference.

Lose the pride, and do the LC, if that is what it takes. You will have to deal with being older than other classmates when doing college anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Don Keypunch

You may meet the entry requirement of 480+ points in your LC and a combination of science subjects to already be eligile to sit the HPAT and apply for ungrad med. Also you could probably apply as a mature student in TCD/RCSI, a vet on boards a while back was in a similar situation to yourself and was looking at that option. AFAIK there is two 'Healthcare Professional' places in NUIG which you may apply for, if you are currently working in the HSE. If you choose to go down the GEM route you could look at St. Georges Uni in London and Nottingham as they take 2.2s with a GAMSAT of >60 and work experience(you be a shoe in, being a physio).

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

C2 wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm 34 with a 2.2 Level 8 degree (1997) in physiotherapy and 2.1 masters (2003) in business. I really want to do medicine (without having to leave Ireland as I have commitments here). It seems my 2.2 is really going to cause me problems and I was wondering, if with an extra years study any universities upgrade degree results.

Thanks

You'll need a miracle to get in the GEM route (in Ireland) I'm afraid, i.e. a change in the entry criteria before you turn 35. There is just no allowance for postgraduate education in the current set up.

I agree with the others. Investigate the mature route, its your quickest route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Don Keypunch

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055620311

Also forgot to mention that you doing another degree would be pointless because your 2.1 has to be from your first degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭C2

Thanks guys- yes I guess the LC route is the only option. I think its a bit bonkers that people who have a masters or a pHd with less than a 2.1 can't get into the GEM programmes. Guess its crowd control!

I did hear form someone that you can upgrade your degree by doing Open University credits. Does anyone know if its true?

CC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

If I was in the unlucky position of having a 2.2 rather than a 2.1 I'd doctor (no pun intended) it and pretend I got a 2.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭C2

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Re Sids reply I can't imagine that you'd have a chance of getting away with it..........though I'm sure someones tried it :-)

Advertisement