Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Effexor Question!

Options
  • 16-03-2010 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, started taking Effexor 75 today... Just wondering about the weight effects of it?

Have people experienced weight gain or weight loss with it?
    Really cannot afford to put on any more weight at the moment, so just want people opinions from their experiences!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

I've been on it for several years and haven't noticed any
    significant effect on my weight. I'm quite lardy at the moment but it's entirely my own fault!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

its a horrible horrible med. weight gain like most others but the withdrawals when you miss a dose or run out of it are horrible, even if you miss it for 1 or 2 days.

Im scared I'll never be able to come off it, last night I had a nightmare I couldnt wake up from, every time I'd try to wake up the nightmare would start again, it was like a loop that lasted the whole night. I punched the wall while I was asleep.

I also sweat easily since Ive been on it, I managed to get my weight under control by not having junk to eat in my house, if you dont buy it you cant eat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I've noticed weight loss on it.

TBH everyone is different so people can only tell you their own experiences, they can't say how it will be for you.

I've noticed weight loss on it.

TBH everyone is different so people can only tell you their own experiences, they can't say how it will be for you.

true, but I find the majority of doctors dont explain what the medication is/does. there is a spectific problem with coming off efexor, its prob the hardest med to come off, they dont tell you that when they put you on it.

I would say it helped me by stabilizing me(no other anti depressant had any positive effect) but 2-3 years late I'm still on it. I dont want to be on it for the rest of my life, I feel worse than before I was on meds when I miss a dose or 2. Ive been made into an addict, I'm lucky I get the meds for free, otherwise I dont know how I could survive to get my next 'fix'
    I dont think I could last 3 days off it and stay sane/alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

there is a spectific problem with coming off efexor, its prob the hardest med to come off

Not by a long way is it and I've gone from 300mg to 0mg so I know what it's like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

true, but I find the majority of doctors dont explain what the medication is/does. there is a spectific problem with coming off efexor, its prob the hardest med to come off, they dont tell you that when they put you on it.

I would say it helped me by stabilizing me(no other anti depressant had any positive effect) but 2-3 years late I'm still on it. I dont want to be on it for the rest of my life, I feel worse than before I was on meds when I miss a dose or 2. Ive been made into an addict, I'm lucky I get the meds for free, otherwise I dont know how I could survive to get my next 'fix'
    I dont think I could last 3 days off it and stay sane/alive.

That sort of thought isnt going to help you. You are not an 'addict' if you are taking something you need. You are not abusing this medication, you genuinely need it. If you need to take it long term then so be it, you will just cause undue stress by always considering this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

anti-depressants are not addictive

there is a difference beyween being addictive and having discontinuation effects

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

I personally dont worry about being on it for the rest of my life.
    Why should you worry about it? If I had diabetes I'd take insulin.

adm wrote: »
    I personally dont worry about being on it for the rest of my life.
    Why should you worry about it? If I had diabetes I'd take insulin.

Insulin is a chemical produced in the human body, Venlafaxine is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Thanks all for your replies!

I started it a week ago, and have been reading the horror stories. Like I said, cant afford to put on a whole lot more weight as i'm already pretty tubby but week 1 hasnt been so bad. Been a little sick but my pharmacy told me that was to be expected.

Have been diagnosed bipolar via a hormone deficiency, which I didnt actually think was possible but hey presto there ya go! Have been a year with bipolar symptoms so just happy to FINALLY have a result and cause!

I'v been trying to google what exactly effexor does to the body in terms of how it works but i'm coming up short every time.

• Advertisement

Seratonin and adrenalin are.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

fend wrote: »
    Thanks all for your replies!

I started it a week ago, and have been reading the horror stories.

There are a lot of horror stories about Effexor. Just bear in mind that what you won't be reading is the stories of all those people who don't have bad experiences since they won't be bothered to go online and post about it. It's perfectly possible to be on the drug and suffer no side effect.

kumate_champ,

this is a discussion forum for people with various longterm illnesses who use a variety of ways to manage their illness(es).

they should not have to justify their choice of management, nor be subjected to criticism or snide remarks because of the choices they have made.

if you have nothing helpful to add, pleaase dont post.

sam34 wrote: »
    kumate_champ,

this is a discussion forum for people with various longterm illnesses who use a variety of ways to manage their illness(es).

they should not have to justify their choice of management, nor be subjected to criticism or snide remarks because of the choices they have made.

if you have nothing helpful to add, pleaase dont post.

snide remarks?

snide remarks?

implying they are relying on artificial chemicals to treat their conditions

so what?

that is someone's individual choice

i received a number fo complaints about that post from people who felt it was derogatory and unhelpful

implying they are relying on artificial chemicals to treat their conditions

so what?

Im saying effexor is not a naturally occurring chemical in the body so in the long term it will have a negative effect, Im not having a go at anyone

Im saying effexor is not a naturally occurring chemical in the body so in the long term it will have a negative effect, Im not having a go at anyone

as someone else has pointed out, it works by increasing levels of naturally occuring chemicals.

even if something is not naturally occuring, it does not automatically follow that longterm usage will have negative effects

and, even if something had negative effects, it comes down to a balance of risks as to whats best for that individual

suicide is pretty damn negative and detrimental, as is untreated serious mental illness

your post came across to a number of posters as having a dig and unhelpful

I didnt think he was having a dig, I just think that he isnt helping himself by thinking that the medication is something weird and not normal. If you need it you need it. Its nothing to be ashamed of. Not everyone is perfect.

For god sake DONT look up side effects on the net, a lot of people posting these can be in the middle of some very serious issues that are not neccesarily related to the side effects of the medications. Remember that THOUSANDS of people can take medications which improve their lives while the smaller percentage have bad effects.

Effexor is known to cause vivd dreams, but that dream of yours may be you feeling trapped in the medication as well. Relax about it, remember what you were like without it and focus on the good changes, not just the bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sainttrap

I ve been on it for two years now and can say that its been of great benefit to me and has really helped improve my life. It won t suit everyone but often people have to try out a few anti depressants to find the one that is right for them. I don t suffer any side effects so I m lucky in that regard. From reading previous posts about Efexor the people who seem to have negative things to say about it don t give it a chance and give up on it after a week or two. Efexor quiet often will make you worse for about ten to fourteen days but should then start improving things. It warns you of this in the leaflet that comes with it.

Also for people trying to come off it, I suggest a gradual process like cutting down to one every two days and then taking it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭C2

Hi there

I started reading the posts and it took me right back to my days on effexor. My reply is going to be overall very positively in favour of this drug. In fact someone else I know is on it now 150mg/day and they feel very positive about it also.

But first, let me tell you there are side effects with it, weight gain for me was NOT one of them (or with my friend), in fact being on the drug helped me control my comfort eating and I have lost 3/4 stone and maintained that loss since I came off the drug a year ago.

One thing you will most likely notice in the first 8-12 weeks is that you will feel sleepy and sluggish (like you're in a barrel of treacle). THAT PASSES OFF. Then life continues as normal, you'll fell calm, possibly a bit less motivated (but not to any massive degree). If you miss the drug for a few days there are side effects- nausea, agitation, bad dreams etc so try and be consistent with taking it.

As for coming off the drugs, I have an excellent doctor and we did it really slowly, alternating higher and lower doses to drop down a level. I hardly had any side effects. That’s what I'd say to any of you wanting to come off it-take it super slow, I was made reduce my dose (150mg) over a six month period.

You will read a lot of negatives about this drug on-line. I think that this is because people who've had bad experiences are more likely to write about them. I noticed the same thing when I went on roaccutane several years ago. I was really scared about what I'd read about the side effects, but actually they weren’t half as bad as most of the stuff I'd read.

You owe it to yourself to give this drug a good go and because it has serotonin and norepinephrine in it, you're less likely to become zoned out on it.

I hope it works out for you. Since I’ve come off it, I’ve had quite a stressful year and even with that I haven’t had a relapse.

Clare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

anti-depressants are not addictive

there is a difference beyween being addictive and having discontinuation effects

and that difference is exactly..?

not having a go here, just relating my own experience in trying to get off 75 mg a day

week 1 - every second day on/off
    week 2 - 3 days on 4 days off
    week 3 - 2 days on 5 days off

im currently in the 3rd week after going 3 days without and the last 2 days were horrible,
    went to my doc, got some 37.5 strength and i had take one of them,

2 hours later hey presto all nastiness gone ( dizziness, zaps, meloncholy )

i feel a little like a junkie that gets ill if he doesnt get the fix, not craving the stuff at all just hate the so called discontinuation syndrome

dont get me wrong the drug did a great job (was only on for 3 months for a bit of depression), but when i started on it i didnt realize what i was signing up for

i think there is too little info given to patients on the drug ( again this is just my experience, was told i might experience a bit of nausea but thats about it)

and like u have said before the people who have positive stories rarely post them online, but im just telling my story, im sure for every one of me there are 10 people with positive stories, but my story is a valid one nonetheless

currently im trying to taper on 37.5 mg, cant wait to be chemical free

good luck to you all,

be prepared...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi just an update here,
    currently on day 2 of no effexor (had tapered down to 37.5mg) and there is light at the end of the tunnell!!
    woohoo!!
    still having the 'zaps' but they are nowhere near as intense as they were last week ( ref my previous post )

so my advice to anyone taking the drug or thinking about it is :

1 be aware of what you may (or may not) experience

2 when u feel its time to come off it, taper off really, really slowly.

3 and if possible try and have a doc that understands all of the effects associated with this drug ( this is where i ran into difficulty myself, ended up realizing i knew more about this drug than the gp that prescribed it, but hey....)

4 if u are currently going through the withdrawal, good luck, bear with it, it is hellish (well it was for me anyway) but, and remember this, IT WILL PASS!!

good luck

B

Advertisement