Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to eat out in town < €10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'm hungry but I'm totally skint.

Going to get up and have a brown bread fried-egg sandwich with ketchup and mayonaise.

And a good oul cup of tae.

Aaah, that's better...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

The An Pucan on Forster Street does lovely meals for 10 euro and big portions as well:).

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭F.Galway

Townhouse would be worth having a look at, great chips but ketchup...not so much...

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

rarnes1 wrote: »
    How is €14.95 less than €10 ? :confused:

OP:
    10 euro, or even as cheap as possible.

hmm. Maybe I misinterpreted that statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

I was in The Cellar on Thursday where they had a "2 course meal for less than €10" offer. Starter of chicken and sweet potato soup with brown bread (delicious and filling) and a main of salmon on rice with mixed peppers, veg and yogurt -nicest dinner I've had in a long time! The pint of Mi Wadi orange cost an extra €1 but all in all I thought it was great value, definitely going back for more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

vina mara do a nice 10 euro lunch. They give you some nice bread & tea/coffee also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Mi Wadi orange cost an extra €1 but all in all I thought it was great value, definitely going back for more!

Nowhere that charges €1 for Mi Wadi should be associated with the word value!

EDIT: And just to do the maths on that....

1L MiWadi Orange costs €1.74 on tesco.ie

You're meant to mix 1 part to 4 parts water (ref).
    .... so a "Pint of MiWadi" has 20% MiWadi or 113.6ml. (=568*0.2) < assuming no ice! In reality it'd be much less.

That means they're getting 8.8pints out of the 1L bottle..
    ...or over €7 profit on a €1.74 bottle.

20cent per pint of MiWadi would more than cover the cost, even up it to 40cent for 100% profit... but €1 is robbery.

Yes yes, too much time on my hands!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

foto joe wrote: »
    Nowhere that charges €1 for Mi Wadi should be associated with the word value!

So it's not just me! Could hardly contest it though?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ah the age old 'what to pay for a miwadi or blackcurrant' question. I used to drink a lot of the stuff when I was SOOO broke, but still wanted to go listen to music. I have been charged as much as a POUND fifty for one back in the day!

I am pretty much grand with a euro. I *know* how much mark up there is, but I feel the same about eating out at restaurants. Haggling for any less than a euro feels a daft (to me). I feel that if you buy a couple of pints of beer or shorts, and yours is a miwadi, then *absolutely* it should be free, as at very least, they should assume you are designated driver or whatever.

I'd give it free with food too myself, but I guess that could go either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

It's a disgrace that anywhere charges €1 for a pint of dilute drink.

For the record the Skeff do a fantastic carvery for less than a tenner, and they leave glasses of water on trays at the bars for you to top up your own glass with blackcurrant, orange and lime.

Very good value lunch for less than a tenner:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

A couple of sushi rolls or a salad or bento box from Cafe Wa are all under a tenner and are lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Lynch's upstairs above Zhivago on Shop St. Ask for a 15% discount "VIP Card" and you can use it any time except during lunch. Usually get a decent plate of sausages and chips for about €4.50, but their full dinners are usually around €7 (not including the aforementioned discount!). I haven't had a bad meal there yet.

Lynch's upstairs above Zhivago on Shop St. Ask for a 15% discount "VIP Card" and you can use it any time except during lunch. Usually get a decent plate of sausages and chips for about €4.50, but their full dinners are usually around €7 (not including the aforementioned discount!). I haven't had a bad meal there yet.

Don't go just at the end of service time... they reheat the dinner in the microwave and still charge you full whack... I kid you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Twenty shots of vodka in a bottle. Maybe you should only pay 5% of the cost of the bottle, say €1 for a shot. Doesn't happen, same principle applies here, it's called business

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

profit on a shot of vodka is still less than on a splash of blackcurrant when they're charging a euro.

Ah well - I just remember which pubs charge me, especially when I'm obviously the DD... and I don't go back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 oneintotwo

College bar in NUI, no one will ask for ID. Amazing dinners for 7 squid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I have to give my vote to Renzo Café in Eyre St. It's not open past 6 AFAIK but it has to be the best café in town, I've become addicted to it the last few weeks!

They do really good deals, soup and toasted sandwich for 6.50, big hunk o'cake and coffee for 4...and their cake is home made and delicious, chocolate fudge, coffee walnut, lemon, oh I love cake, and it has been hard to find in recent times:)

It's always packed out though, and my ould fave Sam Baileys seems mighty empty these days...has it gone downhill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

foto joe wrote: »
    Don't go just at the end of service time... they reheat the dinner in the microwave and still charge you full whack... I kid you not.

But... they take it from the carvery and slap it on the plate in front of your eyes. No schneaky microwave-shenanigans that I see...? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dubhghaillix

Finnegans near CP's are good esp for breakfeast, porrige, toast & coffee (with free refils) for under €5. Lunch deals for €6-9, and they don't charge for MiWadi. Riordans have the same menu, I think Finnegans have a better atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jackxey

k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

You can get a "Mini" meal in Mustard for €9.
    Wow, what a feed!! My bf got the big portion & there was hardly any difference. Mmm it was so yummy!!

Parkhouse do huge "half" portions at lunch from 12 - 3 I think Mon - Sun. They give you the same size portion on veg & potatoes but instead of 3 slices of meat you get 2.. For €8.50 or something..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Jackxey wrote: »
    k

Great first post. Welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 booksalot

You can get a "Mini" meal in Mustard for €9.
    Wow, what a feed!! My bf got the big portion & there was hardly any difference. Mmm it was so yummy!!

Parkhouse do huge "half" portions at lunch from 12 - 3 I think Mon - Sun. They give you the same size portion on veg & potatoes but instead of 3 slices of meat you get 2.. For €8.50 or something..

Great dinners in the new improved Lynch's above Zhivago. 3 or 4 choices of 1/2 dinners great protions and different ever day. Around €7 I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jackxey

j

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Twenty shots of vodka in a bottle. Maybe you should only pay 5% of the cost of the bottle, say €1 for a shot. Doesn't happen, same principle applies here, it's called business
    Bit different though, alcohol is the 'main product' of a pub/bar/club. Mi Wadi is not, in fact you might even expect it to be given free (never mind a huge markup) as a mere goodwill gesture.
    Xiney wrote: »
    profit on a shot of vodka is still less than on a splash of blackcurrant when they're charging a euro.

Ah well - I just remember which pubs charge me, especially when I'm obviously the DD... and I don't go back :D
    A lot of pubs are signed up with the Coca Cola scheme and will give you a free coke/fanta/sprite if you tell them you're the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

poisonated wrote: »
    Great first post. Welcome.
    He outdid himself with the second! Bravo!
    Jackxey wrote: »
    j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ten10twenty

Any recommendations for a place for a meal for about 15 people, ideally around a tenner or not much more (excl pints)? Any type of food will do as long as it's in the middle of town!

Sorry for posting in here but seems as good a place as any and not worth starting up a new thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Townhouse Bar at Spanish Arch has great food too < €10..
    Yummy burgers and the likes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭padraig91

La salsa....the one at the end of shop street

• Advertisement

Any recommendations for a place for a meal for about 15 people, ideally around a tenner or not much more (excl pints)? Any type of food will do as long as it's in the middle of town!

Sorry for posting in here but seems as good a place as any and not worth starting up a new thread :D

Pushing it now @ €17.50 but the current milanos offer of 3 courses for €35 for two looks good.

Keep an eye on their website, their default offer seems to be Buy1 get 1 free, or simply halfprice... which means a quality pizza for ~€7 each. Current offer runs until 13th Feb though.

Used their offers quite a lot, even works with groups.
    http://milanooffers.ie/

Advertisement