Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to eat out in town < €10

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Myself and my girlfriend have recently started eating in The Nut House, where Master Lee's used to be.

It's still a Chinese but under new management. They are a young couple. They work really hard, just the 2 of them. He cooks and she does front of house. They work 7 days a week. They have a kid as well who is minded by one of their mothers. I really hope they make it work.

But not just because of that. They have the BEST Chinese food ever to come to Galway. Their menu is unlike any other Chinese in Galway. None of their dishes are the bog standard chicken ball and chips, veg curry, chicken curry and fried rice etc.

The dishes are really, really interesting. And it feels really healthy, especially as you can opt out of msgs.

But the best bit of all, you can go in and have a sit-down meal for 6.95.

Only open after 6pm though. Try it, guarantee you'll like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

^ Their menu is up here. (Google cache as just-eat only allow viewed when open)

Looks like a fairly standard Chinese takeaway menu :confused: ... few other interesting dishes as well alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

The Nut House is really nice, but their menu is pretty standard. And they definitely do have chicken balls and chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

The Tamarind at the Spanish Arch do excellent Thai food, it's dear enough at night but they do main courses for less than €10 between 12.30 and 4.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

foto joe wrote: »
    ^ Their menu is up here. (Google cache as just-eat only allow viewed when open)

Looks like a fairly standard Chinese takeaway menu :confused: ... few other interesting dishes as well alright.
    moonflower wrote: »
    The Nut House is really nice, but their menu is pretty standard. And they definitely do have chicken balls and chips.

Ok, what I really meant was that they didn't just have the usual Chinese staples of curry chips, chicken curry etc.

I guess the reason I'm excited is that the Vegetarian options are a damn sight better than most other Chineses. And when you do eat a vegetarian dish there, they give you actual nutritious vegetables as opposed to plate-fillers such as beansprouts, water chestnuts etc.

Was in there again yesterday and got a tofu dish. I have never been given so much tofu in my life. It was a mini-mountain. Delicious. Stuffed for the evening for only 6.95.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 plentygood

cheapest in town 4.99e and 3.99e if they put it on special ....new shop beside eye cinema and bradley motors old dublin rd,fresh hot full dinner take away or small sit down area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Funlover

Sam Baileys on Eglington St, everything on their menu is excellent and all under €10 I think. Also Spanish Arch Hotel bar is doing really good bar food. Club Sandwich and chips was only 6e last time I was in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

plentygood wrote: »
    cheapest in town 4.99e and 3.99e if they put it on special ....new shop beside eye cinema and bradley motors old dublin rd,fresh hot full dinner take away or small sit down area

+1, had a lovely beef stroganoff a while back. Casey's Centra.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Funlover wrote: »
    Also Spanish Arch Hotel bar is doing really good bar food. Club Sandwich and chips was only 6e last time I was in there.

Yeah but they will ask you to leave if you order Mi Wadi:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Do they actually Jonjo?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Aimee30

Mustard
    Milanos (depending on what you order)
    subway
    maccy d's
    mcswiggans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Funlover

Re Spanish Arch bar I guess these places do cheap deals on the food in the hope of making something from the additional items such as soft drinks.
    Had a very nice lunch in McSwiggans yesterday - croque monsieur was tasty indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

Twas far from Tamarind and Sushi ye were reared what's wrong with an oul snack box from supermacs? That Celtic tiger has a lot to answer for ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

clouds wrote: »
    Twas far from Tamarind and Sushi ye were reared what's wrong with an oul snack box from supermacs? That Celtic tiger has a lot to answer for ;)

Speak for yourself! Many of us were rewarded by our parents with raw mackerel if we did well at our sums or spelling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

inisboffin wrote: »
    Speak for yourself! Many of us were rewarded by our parents with raw mackerel if we did well at our sums or spelling.

I didn't know you were half sealion!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Seaneh wrote: »
    I didn't know you were half sealion!

Seal. You're thinking of the cousins.

Advertisement