Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject choice trouble

Options
  • 16-03-2010 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭

Basically I have to have my subject choices in by Friday. I was planning on doing physics, applied maths, history, accounting and spanish. I was talking to my principal today and she thinks that I would be better suited to chemistry than to physics. I wasn't sure about doing physics before as all I have heard is bad things about the course, but applied maths is the only eigth subject offered in my school for free and obviously it would be easier to do applied maths with physics. I definitely want to do 8 subjects but I don't want to ask my parents to shell out 2 grand to do so. So basically I want your advice, should I go ahead with the easier applied maths/ physics combination or should I just do chemistry with a different subject outside of school?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Well Physics and Applied Maths are a good combination, the physics mechanics section is an easier version of the applied maths one. Also doing applied maths helps with higher maths a good bit I find.

Chemistry requires more study then physics IMO. Alot of physics is understanding what's going on, and then whatever you have to learn is an extension of that understanding. But I find alot of chemistry is quite abstract and a bit hard to grasp, but alot of the course isn't so bad if you have a good teacher.

I'd be leaning on doing Applied Maths either way if you don't mind maths. I personally would prefer physics because I prefer understanding concepts than just accepting them as is the case with chemistry.

Keep in mind that more courses need chemistry than physics too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I think it's good the way you have em, but what d'you wanna do in the future? If it's medicine or something chemistry is worth considering, however, you can still get in with physics (6 year course, you'd have to check). You should really kinda choose your subjects by the general gist of what course you wanna do, not how easy this and that is.

Physics is a nice course imo, I like it anyway. Some sections are pretty dull but there's a healthy dose of practical (or applied, I guess) maths involved. So if you enjoy and are good at maths, it's big plus.

I like chemistry aswell, it is a shorter course, but imo I'd only do it with a teacher to explain some of the more abstract stuff. It all builds up on other sections so unless you're gonna rote learn everything (which would be absolutely nightmarish) you need to understand. It's all about understanding. So is physics, but it's easier to grasp, the concepts are not as abstract. The chemistry exam is also abit easier to prepare for.

If I had the choice between the two, I'd consider what I wanna do in the future tbh. Neglecting that, physics with applied maths is a very nice combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

OP

while I have no experience of any of those subjects I must first admire you for

a. doing applied maths and
    b. referring to it as an easy option.

Really what your decision will come down to is this:

Do you want to be happy and choose subjects that you will like?
    Do you want to choose the option that is likely to be easier, providing an overlap of material, saving you a bit of study time and possibly making higher points more achievable?

Both of those choices are perfectly valid and will depend on your outlook on school/college.

As an end note, I know I don't know you, your parents or your financial situation, but I'm sure that if your parents knew that your only reason for not doing a certain subject was down to cash, I'm sure they would tell you not to worry that they will find the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

There wouldn't be any problem getting the money but I just don't think I can ask my parents for it when I can do one for free.

I have no problem but maths, but when I was talking to my principal she said my mechanical reasoning was in the seventies and I coul do a subject like biology or chemistry with less work and far better. I can definitely see where she is coming from as I feel I will only be doing physics because of the applied maths combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

_Bella_ wrote: »
    There wouldn't be any problem getting the money but I just don't think I can ask my parents for it when I can do one for free.

I have no problem but maths, but when I was talking to my principal she said my mechanical reasoning was in the seventies and I coul do a subject like biology or chemistry with less work and far better. I can definitely see where she is coming from as I feel I will only be doing physics because of the applied maths combination.

Well as a teacher who tries to get my students to love my subjects and take them up for the love of it it pains me to say this but....

you need to look after yourself points-wise and if that means picking chemistry over physics then so be it. There is more competition this year than ever before for college places and I can't see that being any different the time CAO 2011 comes around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

I am doing the subjects that you want to (with the exception of French instead of Spanish) for this years LC.

I quite like my combination and physics + applied maths is definatley the way to go. There is so much crossover between the two, it really cuts the workload (which believe me is a massive bonus with 8 subjects when you get to 6th year).

I have not studied Chemistry but those that do in my school seem to find it very hard. Doing the subjects you are thinking about doing I would definatley recommend doing them but I will warn you that if you are doing all Higher Level, this time in 2 years the workload will be immense....

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

I'd go with the applied maths/physics option, however I mat be slighty biased as I don't do chemistry. There is a huge crossover between applied maths and physics which is a great help and reduces the workload. Also applied maths is the classic 8th subject for those who enjoy maths and physics. However chemistry is supposedly a subject which requires a huge amount of understanding and is hard to grasp. So if you are maths inclined I would recommend the app. Maths and physics option. Although if you find Chem. easier then go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Do the subjects that'll get you the most points.

It's all well and good doing what you enjoy, but when the shit hits the fan in March of 6th year, what you enjoy counts for very little. It's around then that you really see how unscrupulous the LC is. It doesn't account for education, enjoyment or personal development. It only accounts for how much you can vomit onto the page in a stupid 3 hour exam.

It would be better if they included a proper education as part of the LC, but they don't.

Points points points. Get as many of them as possible. Then get into college then do what you love.

I know I sound cynical, but that's the truth from my experience. :)

Do the subjects that'll get you the most points.

It's all well and good doing what you enjoy, but when the shit hits the fan in March of 6th year, what you enjoy counts for very little. It's around then that you really see how unscrupulous the LC is. It doesn't account for education, enjoyment or personal development. It only accounts for how much you can vomit onto the page in a stupid 3 hour exam.

It would be better if they included a proper education as part of the LC, but they don't.

Points points points. Get as many of them as possible. Then get into college then do what you love.

I know I sound cynical, but that's the truth from my experience. :)
    TBH, I must slightly disagree with this. Yes, points are important, but not doing something you hate is too. If you like a subject, you're more likely to understand it and excel at it. Also, some subjects might be required for matriculation requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I did Chemistry for my LC and am doing Physics in college now, and I personally think Physics is a lot easier. I may be generalising a bit here but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that Chemistry is easier than Physics.

Chemistry is a tough subject at LC level. It's very abstract and parts of it are quite hard to understand. I got an A1 in it last year and I had to work damn hard to get it. That being said, it can be a rewarding subject, and it was definitely one of my favourite subjects last year. In contrast, a lot of Physics is intuitive and kind of "makes sense" automatically. Granted, some topics in Physics are very tough (I find electricity especially confusing and hard to understand), but, by and large, I think Physics is easier than Chemistry.

Of course, you have to bear in mind that Chemistry is one of the entry requirements for a number of courses (veterinary, pharmacy, I think dentistry too? And of course, if you want to do medicine, you should definitely do it) so bear that in mind it you're thinking along those lines.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Thanks guys for all your help. I think I will go with the physics option as I have no problem with maths normally and I feel the crossover will be quite helpful. I plan on doing business and law in UCD when I finish school, but I don't want to close my options off by not doing a science. In the lc physics paper is there alot of choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Personally, I dont think it matters here nor there if you do physics in order to help with applied maths. I did applied maths in one year last year (as a lot of people do) and got an A1! And I didnt do physics. Of course it would have been nice to have the cross over (the two other girls in my class did physics so they understood certain topics more quickly than I did) but I dont think its necessary. But on the other hand I love maths and am good at it so I suppose that helped me a lot. Frankly, I wouldnt choose physics just to have a cross over with applied maths, but on the other hand it is a good combination.
    I suppose it really depends on what you want to do in university.
    Good luck with your decision!:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Applied Maths helps with Physics (the mechanics part anyway), but a lot of people make the mistake of not studying Mechanics in Physics as they think it is 'easy', and then get it wrong on the day!

However, I think it is a shame if you do Applied Maths and not Physics, as a lot of the material that you learn for AM is applicable to Physics (e.g. SHM, circular motion, etc.) and therefore cuts down on the overall amount you have to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

In the lc physics paper is there alot of choice?

A reasonable amount.

Section I gives you 4 experiments and you answer on 3.

Section 2 gives you 8 questions, you do 5 (I am fairly certain but could be a bit off). However you probably will have time to do at least 6 on the day.

The course is neither particularly long or tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Rex got it in one there, the applied maths course is grand, I finished it in a year doing 2 hours a week. Its not easy to get the A in it, but with a bit of work its well possible. Physics helps you for the basics of applied maths but soo applied maths ends up making mechanics in physics easy. I fyou have any questions about either PM me or post here

RexMundi wrote: »
    A reasonable amount.

Section I gives you 4 experiments and you answer on 3.

Section 2 gives you 8 questions, you do 5 (I am fairly certain but could be a bit off). However you probably will have time to do at least 6 on the day.

The course is neither particularly long or tough.
    Yeah, I think that's right. Most people attempt a few extra questions, usually in Section 1 then in Secton 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

Basically I have to have my subject choices in by Friday. I was planning on doing physics, applied maths, history, accounting and spanish. I was talking to my principal today and she thinks that I would be better suited to chemistry than to physics. I wasn't sure about doing physics before as all I have heard is bad things about the course, but applied maths is the only eigth subject offered in my school for free and obviously it would be easier to do applied maths with physics. I definitely want to do 8 subjects but I don't want to ask my parents to shell out 2 grand to do so. So basically I want your advice, should I go ahead with the easier applied maths/ physics combination or should I just do chemistry with a different subject outside of school?

Applied Maths helps a lot with your actual maths.
    Doing physics with app maths doesnt make a major difference! i woldnt base doing chemistry or physics on app maths.
    If you read the foreword of the app maths books Oliver Murphy says you dont have to do physics and that he didnt do physics when he was studying it!!

Advertisement