Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deftones - Diamond Eyes

Options
  • 16-03-2010 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭

The title single from Deftones upcoming album Diamond Eyes. I really like it! Guitars sound kind of Meshuggah-ish at times!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

I really like this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Guitars sound kind of Meshuggah-ish at times!

Probably because Stephen Carpenter's been using 8 string guitars lately. ;)

It does sound very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

whole album is now in the wild ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

think the new album is class

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'm not a big fan of Deftones (or bands who sound that way inclined either), but there are parts of that song I really do like. Stupid crap screaming ruins it.

• Advertisement

AlcoholicA wrote: »
    think the new album is class

I'm going to need some time with it, I like it but I don't love it yet. Beauty school was a song that stood out for me on the 1st run through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

A few songs from the album on YouTube so check them out before they're taken down. Album isn't released until May. :)

Royal

976 - Evil

Prince

Passenger wrote: »
    Album isn't released until May. :)

No need to wait until then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Passenger wrote: »

976 - Evil

i can recommend the 1988 movie ahead of this inspired-by track.

976 - Evil, starring Evil Ed of Fright Night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

calex71 wrote: »
    No need to wait until then ;)

Thanks for the heads up! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Either Frank Delgado's getting lazy & incorporating gmails message alert noise (You've Seen The Butcher) & the Mac trash emptying sound (Can't remember the track) into the new album...

Or the guy who ripped the current version of the album floating around on the net is a moron..

;)

I LOVE this album, IMO their most consistant since Around the Fur.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ThrowinShapes

Never listened to them much before, just nabbed the album today though and it's not too shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Decent effort, though I wouldn't put it on a pedestal like Around the Fur or White Pony are... there are standout tracks, and then the rest come across almost as filler. I'm hoping this one grows on me, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

da da da da daaaaaaaaa im loving it!!

Its gonna be a good summer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I really like the overall sound of this album although some songs could be easily overlooked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

I'm just listening to this for the first time and I have to say its quite consistent overall.

Its not as good as Adrenaline, Around The Fur or White Pony but would definitely be better than their last two album which were poor enough.

A return to form for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

fortuneg wrote: »
    Either Frank Delgado's getting lazy & incorporating gmails message alert noise (You've Seen The Butcher) & the Mac trash emptying sound (Can't remember the track) into the new album...

Or the guy who ripped the current version of the album floating around on the net is a moron..

;)

I LOVE this album, IMO their most consistant since Around the Fur.

I heard this on You've Seen The Butcher alright. :D

Good song all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Loving this album, specificly youve seen the butcher, beauty school,Diamond eyes, risk and Cmnd/ctrl.

Its like they mixed all there earlier stuff together to make this. I find some of the later tracks a bit weaker than the first half so far though, anyone else think this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

fortuneg wrote: »

Well, I have this theory..

When Rocket Skates was leaked before its official release, somewhere around the 0:23 mark you could hear the coin sound from Super Mario World. I think it's the same source who leaked the album, and he just puts in small "watermark" sounds. And since all the MP3s are labelled as "Leaked Dub" that also implies that stuff has been added to the original files.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

although i am a big Deftones fan i am not biased but i still like the track

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I'm not feeling it, they peaked at white pony which is 10 years ago now. I think its Stef TBH, he's just not really progressed as a guitarist in about 6 or 8 years. he just wants the band to sound like meshuggah. some of the riffs sound like WP riffs transposed onto an 8 string guitar.

I'd even go so far as saying he's holding the band back. I'd love to hear them with a more interesting guitarist.

I'm not feeling it, they peaked at white pony which is 10 years ago now. I think its Stef TBH, he's just not really progressed as a guitarist in about 6 or 8 years. he just wants the band to sound like meshuggah. some of the riffs sound like WP riffs transposed onto an 8 string guitar.

I'd even go so far as saying he's holding the band back. I'd love to hear them with a more interesting guitarist.
    I doubt its Steph. I mean Saturday night wrist was mostly Moreno and the ST also had a lot of Moreno's influence guitar wise. I myself think that his style is far from stale, if you look at the back catalogue from adrenaline to now the guitar sound and style has had a radical change. Its gone from straight up NU metal riffage to a lot of dissonant chord voicing, to guitar soundscapes and more recently more Meshuggah like riffage. I think that although you always know that its him playing his style of playing has indeed evolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

we'll have to agree to disagree, his tone has indeed improved, and i'm not knocking the 8 string, but on one song at least i thought to myself "thats just passenger on an 8 string".

deftones had some moments (minerva, anniv of an uninteresting event being two, more of that please) wrist i never really warmed to, perhaps i should give it another go. but this new album i'm convinced is a stef album.

I remember reading something after white pony came out where moreno said that WP was tough to make as "if stef had his way we'd be meshuggah"

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

deftones had some moments (minerva, anniv of an uninteresting event being two, more of that please)

And let's not forget Battle-axe - great song!!

we'll have to agree to disagree, his tone has indeed improved, and i'm not knocking the 8 string, but on one song at least i thought to myself "thats just passenger on an 8 string".

deftones had some moments (minerva, anniv of an uninteresting event being two, more of that please) wrist i never really warmed to, perhaps i should give it another go. but this new album i'm convinced is a stef album.

I remember reading something after white pony came out where moreno said that WP was tough to make as "if stef had his way we'd be meshuggah"
    Your right, this album is all steph. I dunno to each there own but deftones and saturday night wrist are my two favorite albums, even above white pony(even though it pains me to say this and i thought i never would) There just more balanced interesting albums, for me at least, then again i love soundscapes and stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Just giving the album a second listen, and have to say it is definitely growing on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Yeah it has taken a few listens but it nis a grower on me too. Their most interesting albums have been the ones that were harder to listen to at first, ie White Pony, Deftones(2) although il always return back to Andrenaline.

Stand out track for me on Diamond Eyes has to be sextape.........................vocals are unreal and the track has some real depth to it.

Hope nto be hearing it olive real soon..................

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭KevArno

Have to say, it was a slow starter for me, but I am loving this album now.
    CMND/CTRL and You've Seen The Butcher are just top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Got it friday and did'nt really take to it at first but its slowly growing on me.

Advertisement