Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headshop in D3

Options
  • 16-03-2010 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

Anyone spot the new headshop on Clontarf road?

Close to Lynches chipper.

Seems a strange move with the supposed banning of them.

Odd location imo.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

They're not banning them, merely banning ingredients which they'll just sub with another legal ingredients likes happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

just spotted it today.
    i live within a 30 second walk from it. i'll venture in and see what its all about, maybe pick up a pipe or something :)

but on the other hand, it will attract all sorts from barcode on the weekends, i'd say it will be mobbed by people between it and the chipper, and i can imagine the fights that will happen too, not that it will be fun to watch from my balcony but its not cool.

i am not concerned with what they are selling, im sure i'll nip down in a drunken state sometime looking for something to 'bubble my bath' or if the real thing is too much hassle i'd be curious to see with the imitation weed is all about, but its the hoards of hammered teen agers it will eneviably attract that i will have a problem with.

oh apparently there is a protest on saturday at it, thinking of going with my sign...................'careful now'.........'down with this sort of thing' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Oh God - right in Joe Duffy's back yard! :D He's going to have a field day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Ah sure its a perfect spot.

The ones in town are getting hassle from local dealers - the headshops are really taking their turf. Move the headshop to clontarf and you move away from the majority of the tough pushers!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yep he's gonna talk about it on Liveline

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Rizzla King

Its close enough to the garda station too, theyre just taking the piss now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

listened to liveline podcast
    well done to joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

yeah thats talking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

If anything it's the opposite, they're right under the surveillance on the police. It's not like their presence has been hushed in the past, sure there are people holding signs for them on Henry Street. :pac:

If anything it's the opposite, they're right under the surveillance on the police. It's not like their presence has been hushed in the past, sure there are people holding signs for them on Henry Street. :pac:

Hiding in plain sight... Those devious bastards! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Apparently there's going to be a pretty big protest outside it on Saturday including local politicians. These angry parents are a pack of ****ing nutjobs.

RMD wrote: »
    Apparently there's going to be a pretty big protest outside it on Saturday including local politicians. These angry parents are a pack of ****ing nutjobs.
    Labour Councillor Aodhán Ó Ríordáin and the Dublin North Central Labour Party have organised a protest against the opening of a head shop on Clontarf Road, Dublin.

Saturday March 20th
    12 noon
    53 Clontarf Road

Cllr Ó Ríordáin said: "The opening of a head shop is not a welcome development in this or any area.

"These shops have sprung up around the country and they are peddling substances that are untested and potentially very dangerous. As a result, parents are becoming extremely worried that the health and welfare of their children is being put at risk.

"Members of local communities are very concerned about this."

http://www.labour.ie/press/listing/126892189112195192.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

fcussen wrote: »
    a

It's possible to delete your post if you wish.

Just click on edit and go down to under the post box on the right and you'll see a button which says ''Delete Message''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

Just after going past it on the bus to work, looks like either the 'concerned parents' or pissed-off dealers have been having some fun cos all the windows have been put through, not pretty!

Beat me too it!!! ^^^^^^^

There's not much point in having a protest if the shop is closed is there??
    when was it due to open anyway???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Can't see the Gardai giving a shit about that either.

I've got an idea, we'll open a shop in Clontarf, right beside the Garda station, no chance we'll get any hassle there....

RMD wrote: »

Why? They're well within their right to protest.

Local business owners have expressed fears that the new shop could be a target for arsonists, which puts their shops in danger.

Parents are concerned because there have been documented cases of some of these products causing severe psychotic episodes. Most of these shops have no qualms about selling their products to children and young people who don't understand the risks involved in taking them.

Seems like a reasonable ground for a protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i wonder was it set up just to piss off joe:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Dont see how it would make much business where it is! Hope it gets shut down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Asking:
    Linguo wrote: »
    what exactly are they selling in the head shop?
    And then saying:
    Linguo wrote: »
    Hope it gets shut down!
    Does make you look a bit reactionary and ill informed.You obviously have no idea what a head shop is, what it does or what it sells but then proceed to say you would like it to be shut down :confused: I'm not a supporter of Head Shops (never even been in one) but comments like yours make debate and discussion difficult.
    Most of these shops have no qualms about selling their products to children and young people who don't understand the risks involved in taking them.
    Seriously? If you're that thick to just eat/smoke/drink something without even trying to understand the risks involved then we call that the Darwin effect. People need to grow some balls and have the concept of personal responsibility explained to them. But then Joe wouldn't have much of a show would he.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mr Teeny

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Seriously? If you're that thick to just eat/smoke/drink something without even trying to understand the risks involved then we call that the Darwin effect.

Why did you only highlight the last part of Spudingtons quote there?

I would tend to focus more on the following:
    Most of these shops have no qualms about selling their products to children and young people who don't understand the risks involved in taking them.

No point in talking about the Darwin effect. Most kids don't use the same risk assessment as well informed adults.

Interesting article about why kids do stupid things here.
    Teens smoke, take drugs, have unprotected sex and ride with drunk drivers, not because they think they are invulnerable or haven't thought about the risks.... It's just that they often decide the benefits -- the immediate gratification or peer acceptance -- outweigh the risks
    Irish Halo wrote: »
    People need to grow some balls and have the concept of personal responsibility explained to them.

I don't see any problem with parents trying to protect the interests of their impressionable young kids!

Personally I have no issue with head shops. Would I want one next to my house and kids though? Hell no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Mr Teeny wrote: »
    Personally I have no issue with head shops. Would I want one next to my house and kids though? Hell no!

Of course you wouldn't. It's a lot easier to claim that this headshop lead your kids to heroin, rather than educate your kids about the dangers of taking any chemical substances.

How many would complain if it was a new offo instead of a headshop!?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

A big fat fcukin 0.

Jesus they were brave men tryin to open up in the leafy suburbs of Clontarf...i could have told them before they opened there that that idea would have gone down like Michael Jackson at a Childline concert.

Anyone up for a counter-protest? Seriously?
    Fcuk sake i thought the closed-minded backwards days were behind us in this country and that we might actually be able to live and let live....how wrong i was!

morons

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mr Teeny

discus wrote: »
    Of course you wouldn't. It's a lot easier to claim that this headshop lead your kids to heroin, rather than educate your kids about the dangers of taking any chemical substances.

Where exactly did I say it'll lead to heroin? :rolleyes: What I did say is that I have no problem with the shops personally. Each to their own. But it's the sort of people it'll bring to the area that'd p*** me off.
    Paulyh wrote: »
    i am not concerned with what they are selling... but its the hoards of hammered teenagers it will eneviably attract that i will have a problem with.

This ^

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Gonna get stoned and head down to this for the craic

coyle wrote: »

Anyone up for a counter-protest? Seriously?
    Fcuk sake i thought the closed-minded backwards days were behind us in this country and that we might actually be able to live and let live....how wrong i was!

morons

hardly morons, have you not seen what the headshops are like at 3 in the morning?? serving from a hatch with ques of people outside?
    as it is there are killings outside Barcode and around the take-aways in fairview on friday and saturday nights, now that doesnt bother me in the slightest because its not on my door step. This shop will attract those same people, and i live very close to it on the seafront.

i have been in head shops, and dont mind them, as i have said and others have said, its the pissed little wannabe scumbags that will be hanging around that are not welcome, there is far too many places around there for them to hang out in with parks, lanes to cause hassle in. i know, because used to do it..........i'll be at the protest on saturday (nothing like being part of an angry mod on a saturday afternoon) because i dont want it on my door step, and i seriously doubt you would either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Paulyh wrote: »
    hardly morons, have you not seen what the headshops are like at 3 in the morning?? serving from a hatch with ques of people outside?

Looks like a smart business move. Supply & demand and all that. Hope it goes well for them.

WindSock wrote: »
    Looks like a smart business move. Supply & demand and all that. Hope it goes well for them.

if they closed at 10pm like off licenses have too, then that would probably solve the late night drunken trouble.........and i would not have a problem with it at all, and would wish them well.
    unfortunately, i doubt it will go well for them as these places do not seem to have consideration for there surroundings and stick 2 fingers up at the neighbours without allowing compromise, so why shouldnt the residents expell them from the area??

• Advertisement

just for an update:

the windows are being repaired as i type, and i am assuming the workers have been threatened as there are two guards in a marked car watching them from the seafront side.

this might make for an exciting weekend after all :D

Advertisement