Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headshop in D3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Saw the damage this morning, nasty stuff. I think the trouble for the owners/workers in this place is going to come from the former suppliers of those who will be queuing up at 3am. Probably them that caused last nights damage when you think about it. Hence tonights Garda presence. I wonder if the owners of the shop knew who they were renting it to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

There's a large establishment in the area I used to frequent that distributes a legal high more dangerous than anything sold in the head shops, often to teenagers as young as fifteen. Because of vested interests and horrendous double standards the past protests outside the venue fell on deaf ears, while this new legitimate business that's the subject of the thread will probably be gone in a month, whether it's via arson or being turfed out by the landlord.

This self-righteous, ignorant mess of a country disgusts me at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

RMD wrote: »
    Apparently there's going to be a pretty big protest outside it on Saturday including local politicians. These angry parents are a pack of ****ing nutjobs.

THey are going to be joined by lots of angry criminal dealers and murderers. They same gangs that have been torching these places up and down the country. Lets see these concerned parent ****s try and take the moral high ground now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 darkeyes

Paulyh wrote: »
    hardly morons, have you not seen what the headshops are like at 3 in the morning?? serving from a hatch with ques of people outside?
    as it is there are killings outside Barcode and around the take-aways in fairview on friday and saturday nights, now that doesnt bother me in the slightest because its not on my door step. This shop will attract those same people, and i live very close to it on the seafront.

i have been in head shops, and dont mind them, as i have said and others have said, its the pissed little wannabe scumbags that will be hanging around that are not welcome, there is far too many places around there for them to hang out in with parks, lanes to cause hassle in. i know, because used to do it..........i'll be at the protest on saturday (nothing like being part of an angry mod on a saturday afternoon) because i dont want it on my door step, and i seriously doubt you would either.

Just remember to smash in some windows too and to burn a witch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 darkeyes

Pace2008 wrote: »
    There's a large establishment in the area I used to frequent that distributes a legal high more dangerous than anything sold in the head shops, often to teenagers as young as fifteen. Because of vested interests and horrendous double standards the past protests outside the venue fell on deaf ears, while this new legitimate business that's the subject of the thread will probably be gone in a month, whether it's via arson or being turfed out by the landlord.

This self-righteous, ignorant mess of a country disgusts me at times.

There will probably the same parents protesting, that take their children Sundays to the pub. I agree with your sentiment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Strange thing is, I'm fairly sure the place that someone said is selling booze to people as young as 15 has already been mentioned in this thread, several times...
    I've got very little sympathy for headshop owners really, they're just working within loopholes.
    Got very little sympathy for boozers closing down as well though, they're all preying on the weak somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

darkeyes wrote: »
    There will probably the same parents protesting, that take their children Sundays to the pub. I agree with your sentiment.
    Head shop owners possibly take their children to the pub on Sundays also, so this would simply level the playing field.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

just had a look a minute ago, it's only down the road from me. Fathead Gerry Ryan is there with a desk, people signing petitions etc. People giving speeches, freaking out etc. Worst thing about it is, there seems to be some kind of paramilitary group there, with 32 county banners etc, so it's nice to see Gerry affiliating himself with terrorists. Seriously, I really didn't think this country was THIS retarded, and especially not in urban Dublin, I wasn't that surprised to see it happening in Roscommon town, but in my hood? Tut tut tut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Why? They're well within their right to protest.

Local business owners have expressed fears that the new shop could be a target for arsonists, which puts their shops in danger.

Parents are concerned because there have been documented cases of some of these products causing severe psychotic episodes. Most of these shops have no qualms about selling their products to children and young people who don't understand the risks involved in taking them.

Seems like a reasonable ground for a protest.

Ok, the arson claim is a potential concern. I'll agree on that.

Ye, there's been documented cases of psychotic episodes but if you're stupid enough to take a drug with no long term studies of the health effects without accepting there might be very adverse effects then you're a ****ing idiot. I've been in these shops before, every time I've been asked for ID, from experience these places are just as strict as off-licenses.

Now let me tell you of this shop that used to be open about a hundred yards down the road. It sold 2 drugs, one that provided no form of high / joy and was relatively pricey, it slowly clogs the cardiovascular system and decreases the performance of your lungs. The other drug it sold is ok within moderation but if a large dose is taken regular effects are a loss in motor controls, coordination, a loss in common sense and generally the users may become violent / agressive over no reason. The Gardaí spend millions a year combating this drug and it's anti-social effects. Both have serious long term health effects if not consumed in moderation, which a large proportion of people 15-30 don't seem to do.

Ye, the 2 drugs I've mentioned are Tobacco and Alcohol. I've been buying both from the shop 100 yards up the road from the D3 Headshop which was the Yacht off-license since I was 15 without much hassle, yet since I'll assume you often frequented this type of establishment and so you didn't decide to ride in on your high horse and protest outside there right?

EDIT:
    THey are going to be joined by lots of angry criminal dealers and murderers. They same gangs that have been torching these places up and down the country. Lets see these concerned parent ****s try and take the moral high ground now.

Ye, they don't seem to realise either as soon as these places are closed down the money spent in these shops are going straight back into the drugs industry in the form of a demand for Coke and Weed / Hash rising again. So instead of being able to tax the stuff sold in these shops, they're protesting it so they close down, the money then goes back to drug dealers and the Gardaí have to spend further amount of the taxpayers money trying to combat the drugs trade.

Being quite honest, if I can't pick up Blow or Smoke XXX, I'll just be handing the money over to my local dealer for MDMA / Weed instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 e.i.assassin

one "smart" protester said :"I'm better let my kids buy "stuff" from the street dealers ,that from the headshops..." how stupid you should be to say like that ...
    They just ignorant and hypocrite...
    and whats a story with The Labour Party banners... they just grabbing opportunity for advertise them selfs f...ing c...s:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Worst thing about it is, there seems to be some kind of paramilitary group there, with 32 county banners etc,

Now there's a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I wasn't that surprised to see it happening in Roscommon town, but in my hood? Tut tut tut

Sure Clontarf is full of fifty and sixty year old civil servant, gardai and teacher boggers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Sure Clontarf is full of fifty and sixty year old civil servant, gardai and teacher boggers.

yeah, I'm a civil servant, we're not all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

RMD wrote: »
    Ok, the arson claim is a potential concern. I'll agree on that.

I've been in these shops before, every time I've been asked for ID, from experience these places are just as strict as off-licenses.

Agreed with the vast majority of your post RMD, but i beg to differ on this point, there's another headshop about 2-3 kilometres down the road in amiens street, the owners of which have absolutely NO problem with selling their stuff to kids, seen it with my own eyes, the usual 'bring your ID next time' stuff. I've tried many of the legal highs they sell and frankly they're nothing to write home about-absolutely vile: the fact that some of them carry the warning 'not for human consumption' doesn't exactly inspire my confidence in them either!:eek:

But, getting back to the point at hand, I can definitely agree that there is a huge amount of stupidity and hypocrisy being displayed by the anti-headshop side.

At a guess there's about 5-6 pubs in the vicinity, yet people aren't queing up to burn them down (barcode is an exception to all this though!), plus the possibility that extreme republicans are hopping on the bandwagon is seriously frightening!

So headshops are a source of employment and much needed revenue, which is what this country needs right now, but the government needs to invest money in a better and more efficient drug education scheme, as well as increased regulation for headshops:not located near any schools/mandatory early closing times/absolutely NO sales to under-18s/drug education training for staff.

I would see this as a much more viable alternative to an outright ban, which is a lazy and futile policy-as we've seen before, prohibition does not work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

spurious wrote: »
    Now there's a surprise.

Probably the same lads responsible for the protection rackets down the road on the north strand. Forced a few of those places out of business over a few years. From cameo to mcgraths old place - empty.

Where are all these nationalist/republican militias, when the drug dealers are out on the streets peddling even worse drugs to anyone... oh, wait.

Agreed with the vast majority of your post RMD, but i beg to differ on this point, there's another headshop about 2-3 kilometres down the road in amiens street, the owners of which have absolutely NO problem with selling their stuff to kids, seen it with my own eyes, the usual 'bring your ID next time' stuff. I've tried many of the legal highs they sell and frankly they're nothing to write home about-absolutely vile: the fact that some of them carry the warning 'not for human consumption' doesn't exactly inspire my confidence in them either!:eek:

But, getting back to the point at hand, I can definitely agree that there is a huge amount of stupidity and hypocrisy being displayed by the anti-headshop side.

At a guess there's about 5-6 pubs in the vicinity, yet people aren't queing up to burn them down (barcode is an exception to all this though!), plus the possibility that extreme republicans are hopping on the bandwagon is seriously frightening!

So headshops are a source of employment and much needed revenue, which is what this country needs right now, but the government needs to invest money in a better and more efficient drug education scheme, as well as increased regulation for headshops:not located near any schools/mandatory early closing times/absolutely NO sales to under-18s/drug education training for staff.

I would see this as a much more viable alternative to an outright ban, which is a lazy and futile policy-as we've seen before, prohibition does not work!

Never been to that one, the ones I've been to are the generally more reputable ones which were around before the head-shop boom. Nirvana mostly, the headshops which have opened up within the last year do seem very regardless for ID and these shops which are essentially the reason there's a call for these shops to close down. They only seemed to open up as Mephedrone products hit the market and got a large user base.

The "not for human consumption" tag is there for a few reasons.
    1) In countries such as the Uk and here as well (I think) it means it doesn't have to undergo an ingredient / toxicology test meaning they can put anything into it which isn't a banned substance.
    2) In some countries it takes any liability away from the manufacturing company as "it's not for human consumption".
    3) It attracts less notice to the product if it's advertised as "plant food not intended for human consumption" rather than "product containing new drug Mephedrone which replicates MDMA"

The thing is, an outright ban wont work, never. 2 years ago they banned a drug called BZP which was used in the fake E pills. After which, they just replaced BZP with 4-MMC (Mephedrone) which they're now looking to ban. If they do ban it something new will be found or a legal substance which has less of an effect will be put into the fake E pills in larger amounts.

The only way I ever seeing it working is strict regulation on new headshops, inducing a license scheme similar to off-licenses and closing hours similar to off-licenses. A policy of selling to under 18's and only acceptable ID is Gardaí / Passport. The fact that I can walk from Connolly station to Capel street and pass 4 of them within 1-2 minute walk distance off Henry / Talbot street indicates how we need regulation of how many can open per sq10/km or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

just had a look a minute ago, it's only down the road from me. Fathead Gerry Ryan is there with a desk, people signing petitions etc. People giving speeches, freaking out etc. Worst thing about it is, there seems to be some kind of paramilitary group there, with 32 county banners etc, so it's nice to see Gerry affiliating himself with terrorists. Seriously, I really didn't think this country was THIS retarded, and especially not in urban Dublin, I wasn't that surprised to see it happening in Roscommon town, but in my hood? Tut tut tut

So much for your war on drugs, idiots...

It seems these morons have a blog, proudly displaying the damage that had been done

http://dublin32countysm.blogspot.com/2010/03/clontarf-head-shop-protest.html

http://dublin32countysm.blogspot.com/2010/03/32csm-attend-head-shop-protest.html

Feck this, im turning in early. I've got an early start, what with the regular's from barcode, kicking the head of each other at 4am, up and down the length and breadth of Marino Mart after drinking themselves into oblivion.

God this country is full of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

what has british rule got to do with anything.pathetic, if i was in clontarf i would of walked past into the shop and bought stuff just to piss them off! idiotic.

df1985 wrote: »
    what has british rule got to do with anything.pathetic, if i was in clontarf i would of walked past into the shop and bought stuff just to piss them off! idiotic.

Nothing. My guess is it's the 32 County Sovereignty Movement looking to gain support by appearing to be on the side of the general citizen. Buying stuff wouldn't have accomplished anything, they were just there to look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

On Spin1038 right now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Jesus the state of those knuckleheads. I bet they are all on PCP too, fking hypocrites.
    That used to be Alannahs flowershop. It used to look nice, shame it has closed down. The only objection I have to these headshops are the gaudy shop fronts. Looks even more rank with smashed up windows. Way to go, fk heads.

What the hell is their cause? Because the shop is English owned? Why don't they protest outside the countless of other English owned shops? My god, if only we had gotten a decent counter protest together.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

apparently it is opened by the flower shop person, a sister of the gorgeous beauty salon owner 2 or 3 doors up, closed as normal tuesday evening, and opened wednesday morning as a head shop........i read that one employee came to work only to find out she now has to sell head shop stuff instead of flowers, she was never told :eek:

apparently it is opened by the flower shop person, a sister of the gorgeous beauty salon owner 2 or 3 doors up, closed as normal tuesday evening, and opened wednesday morning as a head shop........i read that one employee came to work only to find out she now has to sell head shop stuff instead of flowers, she was never told :eek:

A Rose by any other name... :)

WindSock wrote: »
    A Rose by any other name... :)

........is still a rose :) did i win?????

........is still a rose :) did i win?????

Sure. Have some Poppies!

Opium_Poppy.png

Careful the RA don't see you with them though :rolleyes:

Sure. Have some Poppies!

Opium_Poppy.png

Careful the RA don't see you with them though :rolleyes:

did you get them from when it was a flower shop??

Well they're Opium Poppies, so I thought would be a natural transition :pac:

Well they're Opium Poppies, so I thought would be a natural transition :pac:

*googles 'how to make opium from poppies'

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

You are totally and utterly wrong about that. the lease was formerly held by the owner of the salon, but sold it 2 years ago. there is no connection whatsoever. Your comment is upsetting and insulting to the salon owners.

Good news though, an injunction has been served. Landlord was not happy about change of use and apparently its only an IRI lease, so major insurance concerns.

http://www.ireland.com/home/Injunction_issued_against_head_shop/maxi/fast/news/irnews/250777

• Advertisement

Lauder wrote: »
    You are totally and utterly wrong about that. the lease was formerly held by the owner of the salon, but sold it 2 years ago. there is no connection whatsoever. Your comment is upsetting and insulting to the salon owners.

Good news though, an injunction has been served. Landlord was not happy about change of use and apparently its only an IRI lease, so major insurance concerns.

http://www.ireland.com/home/Injunction_issued_against_head_shop/maxi/fast/news/irnews/250777

Ok, appologies if i got that wrong and caused any upset, i did say apparently :o as it is what people are saying. I didnt intend to have a go at anyone......i heard it from a few different people.

anyway, good new about the injunction :)

Advertisement