Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headshop in D3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

*UPDATE*: Just passed by the place on the bus yesterday afternoon, the shutters were down so it looks like the 'concerned parents' plus the local RA have won!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Vuctor

Bigots 1 Lunatics 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

Lauder wrote: »
    You are totally and utterly wrong about that. the lease was formerly held by the owner of the salon, but sold it 2 years ago. there is no connection whatsoever. Your comment is upsetting and insulting to the salon owners.

Good news though, an injunction has been served. Landlord was not happy about change of use and apparently its only an IRI lease, so major insurance concerns.

http://www.ireland.com/home/Injunction_issued_against_head_shop/maxi/fast/news/irnews/250777

good news?? I read the piece and the landlord bought the property as an investment probably during the boom times, will be interesting to see how quick some other business opens up in there after all this. plenty of vacant shop fronts all over the country and I'd say some landlords are delghted to have some spaces occupied by these shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Can only be a positive. I would in no way shape or form associate myself with the knuckle dragging 32 county thugs nor the Joe Duffy crowd but i do have my concerns about these shops. It relates to how they do business, sell their products and vital information that's not available to the customer.

Here's what annoys me about Headshops

Before ordering any products from ***** you must agree unconditionally to all terms as described in this disclaimer.

These terms may be changed at any time without notice.

Terms:

You must be over the age of 18 to purchase products from our site.

You must be healthy with no pre-existing medical conditions whatsoever & currently not be taking any medication,

prescription or over-the-counter.

You must have no mental or emotional disability or impairment, and be capable of making decisions for yourself.

Do not take if you are pregnant or nursing, have high blood pressure, heart or thyroid disease or taking MAO inhibitors,

antidepressants, or any other prescription drug.

You must clearly understand **** makes no claims whatsoever as to the medicinal, psychological or

physiological properties or effects of these products.

You must agree unconditionally not to operate any vehicles or machinery while using any of these

products and would do so at your own risk.

Under no circumstances will ***** be liable to you or anyone else for any damages

or injury caused by ingestion of these products or by misuse or improper use.

Irishheadshops.com and any other parties involved including but not limited to their owners', associates', employees', officers',

affiliates' accept no liability. Any and all other damages, direct or indirect, special, incidental,

consequential or punitive, are hereby excluded.

You must understand **** accepts no responsibility

once your product(s) have been shipped.

You must have clearly read, understood and agreed to carefully abide by any and all cautions & warnings

on this website and any of the product labels.

Customers are required to know the laws of their country. Should you order something that is not allowed

to be shipped to your country and it is seized by customs, you will not receive a refund.

Followed by
    Not for Human Consumption

If your going to do something, bloody well do it right. Don't try hide behind loopholes and sneakily try dress something up thats it not. The truth is your selling psychoactive drugs. Now with this in mind i believe you have a responsibility to make your customers aware, with printed information on the positive and negative effects of each drug you sell.

Eg. If i plan on injecting mephadrone how do i go about this. What dosage is recommended? how long does it last? Where do i get clean needles ? if i plan on re-dosing how much should i do? Whats the Lethal Dosage ? if im having a particularly bad come down what do i do to counter act it? Is it safe to take these products on an empty stomach? Can i drink alcohol with it? What are the known side effects? What are the long term side effects ? etc etc

At the moment theres no information in the shop available to people which annoys the hell out of me. I certainly didnt know about some of the side effects until i read up about them on a opinion/ experience /report drugs website. I'm sure there are many people out there that don't know you can get purple/blue knees, trapped blood vessels or suicidal thoughts on the comedown whilst taking mephadrone.

I'm kinda glad they are going because of the way in which they operate. Baths salts ... fcuk off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

What is the alternative champ?

I'm sure they'd love to be open about things if drugs were legalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Elevator wrote: »
    good news?? I read the piece and the landlord bought the property as an investment probably during the boom times, will be interesting to see how quick some other business opens up in there after all this. plenty of vacant shop fronts all over the country and I'd say some landlords are delghted to have some spaces occupied by these shops.

The landlords are second generation Clontarf residents and have owned the property for close to 20years. Note it was the landlords who issued the proceedings and they are now delighted that the headshop is out.

Also, the tenant will still have to honour the tenancy contract, as it was they who broke the terms of the lease. So they will be paying full rent regardless of whether of not the shop is operating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 young_dub

Why? They're well within their right to protest.

Local business owners have expressed fears that the new shop could be a target for arsonists, which puts their shops in danger.

Parents are concerned because there have been documented cases of some of these products causing severe psychotic episodes. Most of these shops have no qualms about selling their products to children and young people who don't understand the risks involved in taking them.

Seems like a reasonable ground for a protest.

Well have you tried to buy anything from these shops because every time I go into any of them I get asked for ID, Get your facts yourself not from the paper or panic king joe duffy you lot have not got a clue about real life, open your eyes, drugs are never going away and we know from previous experience that brushing it under the carpet into the big black market causes a big full scale gangwar. Do you want another?

Can only be a positive. I would in no way shape or form associate myself with the knuckle dragging 32 county thugs nor the Joe Duffy crowd but i do have my concerns about these shops. It relates to how they do business, sell their products and vital information that's not available to the customer.

Here's what annoys me about Headshops

Followed by

If your going to do something, bloody well do it right. Don't try hide behind loopholes and sneakily try dress something up thats it not. The truth is your selling psychoactive drugs. Now with this in mind i believe you have a responsibility to make your customers aware, with printed information on the positive and negative effects of each drug you sell.

Eg. If i plan on injecting mephadrone how do i go about this. What dosage is recommended? how long does it last? Where do i get clean needles ? if i plan on re-dosing how much should i do? Whats the Lethal Dosage ? if im having a particularly bad come down what do i do to counter act it? Is it safe to take these products on an empty stomach? Can i drink alcohol with it? What are the known side effects? What are the long term side effects ? etc etc

At the moment theres no information in the shop available to people which annoys the hell out of me. I certainly didnt know about some of the side effects until i read up about them on a opinion/ experience /report drugs website. I'm sure there are many people out there that don't know you can get purple/blue knees, trapped blood vessels or suicidal thoughts on the comedown whilst taking mephadrone.

I'm kinda glad they are going because of the way in which they operate. Baths salts ... fcuk off

What about all legal drugs, i have worked with heroin addicts and they go and buy there blues or D5s{sleeping pills or strong painkillers} of the boardwalk on the liffy, they come with no instructions or dosage usage. They also get them free on their medical cards so why are these very very powerfull drugs legal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd say it's far more likely the local RA boys turned up to support the protest to get the shop shut down so they can sell there illegal drugs with no competition.

young_dub wrote: »
    What about all legal drugs, i have worked with heroin addicts and they go and buy there blues or D5s{sleeping pills or strong painkillers} of the boardwalk on the liffy, they come with no instructions or dosage usage. They also get them free on their medical cards so why are these very very powerfull drugs legal

Why would you compare one negative with another...

• Advertisement

Why would you compare one negative with another...

To show how stupid the goverment is, they listen to the sun and the irish times to much

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

young_dub wrote: »
    To show how stupid the goverment is, they listen to the sun and the irish times to much

And getting litho ink all over their ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Vuctor

I've nothing against headshops but they shouldn't be in respectable neighbourhoods like Clontarf.
    They are better suited to places like Coolock and Finglas where it's normal to see people going around off their heads and nobody minds.

To show how stupid the government are ? The negative i was referring to was the way in which the headshops operate. I don't see any stupidity on the governments behalf in trying to close these shops down by banning the substances. Infact governments throughout Europe are taking steps to ban these chemical compounds eg Britain, Germany have banned them since January 2010. It's not just our own that see the problem

Someone asked earlier what the alternative was. The reality of the situation is there is no alternative. I'm afraid your on the wrong side of the argument. Psychoactive drugs of these kind will never be socially acceptable. They will never become mainstream. Sure a small minority will always dabble in these things but it will never become widespread enough to change public opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

What is the alternative champ?

I'm sure they'd love to be open about things if drugs were legalised.

Get your facts straight. What do you mean if these drugs are legalised? You do know that none of the substances sold in headshops are classified under medicines legislation, so there is nothing to legally stop them being "open about things".

The most likely reason they do this is avoid liability when soemthing goes wrong...doesn't exactly fill you with confidence, does it champ?

penguin88 wrote: »
    Get your facts straight. What do you mean if these drugs are legalised? You do know that none of the substances sold in headshops are classified under medicines legislation, so there is nothing to legally stop them being "open about things".

The most likely reason they do this is avoid liability when soemthing goes wrong...doesn't exactly fill you with confidence, does it champ?
    I'm talking about illegal drugs.

I'm talking about illegal drugs.

Were you not responding to Username-in-use? I don't really get what illegal drugs have to do with it.

RMD wrote: »

The "not for human consumption" tag is there for a few reasons.
    1) In countries such as the Uk and here as well (I think) it means it doesn't have to undergo an ingredient / toxicology test meaning they can put anything into it which isn't a banned substance.

that's exactly what put me off buying anything off them again in the first place: that 'anything' could be chemicals which are totally hazardous in any dosage, such as poisons or insecticides, anything!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Were you not responding to Username-in-use? I don't really get what illegal drugs have to do with it.

The headshop drugs are only there as a replacement for illegal drugs. Make the illegal drugs legal and then everyone can be upfront about dosages, what not to take with it, age limit etc.

Enough is known about cannabis and mdma for people to make an informed choice to take it or not.

That is what illegal drugs have to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

that's exactly what put me off buying anything off them again in the first place: that 'anything' could be chemicals which are totally hazardous in any dosage, such as poisons or insecticides, anything!!:eek:

Thats like using the myth that drug dealers put rat poison in E pills, as an excuse not to try it. Why would any person or business, legal or not, do something to their products thats going to harm or KILL their customers?:confused:

• Advertisement

Shulgin wrote: »
    The headshop drugs are only there as a replacement for illegal drugs. Make the illegal drugs legal and then everyone can be upfront about dosages, what not to take with it, age limit etc.

Enough is known about cannabis and mdma for people to make an informed choice to take it or not.

That is what illegal drugs have to do with it.

I'll take your point about how illegal drugs are (tenuously) linked, but how would making currently illegal drugs legal affect labelling of headshop products?

There's nothing to stop them being upfront about labelling etc currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

This is true: the old BZP party pills had the purported ingredients and quantities listed, as well as basic health warnings (do not double-drop, do not take if on medication etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

I'll take your point about how illegal drugs are (tenuously) linked, but how would making currently illegal drugs legal affect labelling of headshop products?

It wouldn't affect the labeling, but the newly legal cannabis and mdma would be fully labeled. The legalisation of the these drugs would hopefully make current headshop products obsolete and over time we would see less and less new 'plant food' for sale.

Shulgin wrote: »
    It wouldn't affect the labeling, but the newly legal cannabis and mdma would be fully labeled. The legalisation of the these drugs would hopefully make current headshop products obsolete and over time we would see less and less new 'plant food' for sale.

But you're ignoring the point that there is nothing to legally stop the current crop of products sold in headshops from being labelled properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

But you're ignoring the point that there is nothing to legally stop the current crop of products sold in headshops from being labelled properly.
    It's an easy way to absolve themselves of blame if something goes wrong, as well as a measure to prolong the active ingredient's lifespan before the inevitable ban. Somewhat understandable if pretty immoral.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Yep. An independent body in the UK examined different fake E pills about 2 years ago and found some contained Ketamine. It was entirely legal to put it into the pills as "they weren't for human" consumption meaning ketamine could be used as it was only illegal for human consumption. That loophole was fixed recently enough AFAIK.

Yes there is.

If they labelled them for human consumtipon with advice and ingredients then they would be fall under food/supplment control.

This is one way to avoid it. But as I said they really want to sell MDMA, cocaine etc. and label it properly but ignorant ****s stop that from hapenning, hence all this mullarkey.

Thats like using the myth that drug dealers put rat poison in E pills, as an excuse not to try it. Why would any person or business, legal or not, do something to their products thats going to harm or KILL their customers?:confused:

Ok just to correct that, anything at all, which, consumed over a period of time and in certain quantities, could either do serious damage to the body (long term) or require a trip to A+E for a spot of stomach pumping. the fact that any class A drugs (speed/mdma/coke) sold today would be mostly composed of cutting agents such as household chemicals put me straight off buying them. I guess my purchasing of the BZP stuff from the headshops was done purely out of curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

to be fair ..... to a dealer all that is important is the bottom line (not the flat line of a heart monitor) ...., the bottom line, when criminals are making/mixing drugs they dont really care what goes in as long as the product has the desired effect and the customers come back for more, if it means adding extra dodgy materials then it will happen if it means selling an extra thousand tabs.

criminals are greedy ....its almost impossible (in this country) to get 100% pure cocaine - and its usually transported in shoved up someone's hole...or comes out someone's hole before its cut and sold..... pure drugs are too expensive for a drug dealer to sell - whats the point in selling 50g of pure coke when he can make that into 500g (with mixing agents) and make more money selling it at the same price.

(I'm rambling on and on - I know f*ck all about the drugs trade in Ireland or any country)

• Advertisement

Yes there is.

If they labelled them for human consumtipon with advice and ingredients then they would be fall under food/supplment control.

This is one way to avoid it. But as I said they really want to sell MDMA, cocaine etc. and label it properly but ignorant ****s stop that from hapenning, hence all this mullarkey.

Again, this is not going to stop them being labelled etc properly. If anything it would probably help with the process having actual standards of labelling in place. Surely having the same rigours applied to these products as are applied to sugar you buy in Tesco could only be a good thing.

How do you know they would go through the proper procedures if cocaine, MDMA or whatever was ever deregulated? I'm sure it would be very easy for them to just continue to put "not for human consumption" on the label just to absolve them of responsibility when something goes wrong.

Advertisement